15 Jawaharlal Nehru Rd, Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, 700 013, India

The Oberoi Grand
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• The 'Grand' option in Kolkata

We stayed at the Grand for a week while vacationing in India in the fall of last year and found this to be an excellent place, the tag of 'heritage hotel' that the management applies doesn't seem to be too misplaced. The place has an aura of historical grandeur and gives you the feeling of connectivity to the past, a past that was steeped into a form of life that no longer exists. That is perhaps the most important reason for choosing to stay here.

Being situated in the middle of the main shopping district of Kolkata, the subway station a minute walk away, my wife found it to be eminently convenient to safely move around on her own, and as many of the city's grand old eateries are situated nearby, you are unlikely to run out of dining options. The hotel itself has three very good international class restaurants, and the Thai one has a lot to recommend itself.

Not praising the Oberoi high standards of service would be unfair to the management of this extremely well run establishment. The group is an international chain and the staff composition reflect that. Suffice is to say that the five star rating is a well deserved one with friendly, respectful and unobtrusive service. The only suggestion for improvement that one can make is that perhaps the bar could be jazzed up a little bit.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience for both of us and we truly appreciated the maharajah service that we received there. This wonderful hotel will forever feature prominently in all our future eastern India trips and constitute some of our fond memories of this great metropolis.

I will unequivocally recommend this hotel for well heeled travelers who would like to be in the lap of luxury for a romantic getaway or just take some time off for oneself, and also for those with a keen sense of heritage and history. Although the rates are on the high side, it will perhaps be a well deserved escape from the drudgery and monotony of everyday life and experience the old world charm of gentility and tranquility.

Unique Quality: The old world decor.
    The maharajah treatment for mere mortals.
    The location.
    The food.

Directions: Smack in the heart of the city, in the Chowrongee area beside the maidan.

• Hyrapiet's Profile Photo

The oldest and grandest

Unique Quality: This was the best and continues to be many people's favorite place. Located in the heart and soul of Calcutta, Grand Hotel is as majestic inside as it appears in photographs. Famous personalities have lived here.

The dining still rocks! They offer a different buffet every night of the week, the mongolian buffet is great

Directions: a.k.a. Chowringhee Road

• redheaney's Profile Photo

Refuge at a 5-star hotel!!

DID NOT HAVE THE PLEASURE OF STAYING AT THE HOTEL, BUT POPPED IN FOR RESPITE... a thoroughly westernized, modern oasis, located smack-bang in the midst of what one can only describe as 'hell on earth...'

we found ourselves back in the Sudder Street-area, where I had to make a visit to 'The Oberoi Grand' on behalf of my father. He had stayed there some years back whilst visiting Kolkata, and I had to find out just how unpleasant a stay he might have had! What torture that must have been, dad! The place was absolutely beautiful (as one would expect a 5-star hotel to be) and though we did get a few 'looks' from some guest and staff, we settled too-quickly and comfortably into the "Chowringhee Bar." I opted for a US$9 glass(!) of Indian wine - which was actually, surprisingly good. Anyway, a glass of wine can only last so long and inevitably, it was time for us to venture back out into reality. But not before a much anticipated trip to the bathroom!! (2 western toilets in one day! More excitement than we were prepared to handle) It was only in seeing myself in the mirror on the way out, that I was horrified at the sight that was before me! I was an utter sight, to say the least. It then dawned on me why i had been receiving the looks i had... I have no doubt that were I not of 'whiter-than-white' complexion, I would never have made it up the steps at the entrance of the hotel. We made a hasty exit - ego bruised but head held high!

Unique Quality: western toilets WITH toilet paper... and clean water & soap, with which to wash ones hands!!

Directions: Sudder-Street area

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Calcutta's Splurge Hotels.

Yesterday, I visited Hotel Oberoi Grand to book a banquet for my co for about 1000 people. I took the opportunity to make some querries for VT with their Sales Manager Ms. Neha Seth. They have Indian toll free for Oberoi Hotels and Resorts: 1 800 11 2030/ 1 800 11 2122.

Now all the rooms and the entire hotel is refurbished, renovated decorated and smells Jesmine!!!! You shall enjoy and feel that you are back to the colonial era all the moment. We also had Turkish vegetarian snacks, bakery bicuit, and filter coffee at their coffee shop courtesy Neha. Thanks Neha for the wonderful treat , you gave me with Turkish snacks.

Like all Oberoi hotels, this hotel too has an excellent bakery, the products taste just out of the world, very exotic!

Unique Quality: Though there is great shortage of budget hotels in Kolkata, there is no shortage of splurge hotels in Kolkata. The Oberoi grand was built in the ealy 20th century and used to be the best hotel in the entire orient. After independence it changed hands from its' European owner, now it is owned and run by The famous Oberoi's started by the legendary M.S.Oberoi.
    At one time it was the favoured destination of the Princely Indians, Movie Stars and very rich. Now it is still one of the best hotels of India and its service is yet to be matched by any of the Indian hotels. Stay here is called a memorable experience and rights of admission is reserved. For booking go to VT help.

The photograph taken here from the hotels brochure. Other pictures by me.

Directions: Just ask any body in Kolkata, either at Air Port, Railway Station or any body walking on the Streets.

It is located at the Famous Chowringhee area.

• Gnome's Profile Photo

Oberoi Grand

Unique Quality: This is a really old hotel with a long history. It is also an oasis in the middle of this most crowded city.

More about The Oberoi Grand Kolkata

Great service, pool & location!

by TripAdvisor Member PairofDiceLost

I had a case of Delhi Belly and had to call the hotel doctor in the middle of the night - the doctor phoned me back right away and was the nicest man. He prescribed a couple of medicines and someone from the hotel walked to a 24 hour pharmacy at 4:00 am to get them from me. I was very impressed by this! When I got the bill I was surprised to see that the only thing they charged me for was the medicine - about a dollar.

Really wonderful service when I needed it most!

Great location in heart of city - near most sites which is nice because traffic is horrendous. The pool was a beckoning oasis with great poolside service. Our room was palatial (room 128).

Easy walking distance to shops - didn't get hassled on streets at all.

Speaking of shops . . . if you like shopping try to visit one of the new malls in town. An Indian friend took us to two a/c malls (can't remember the names) and we found high quality clothes at great prices and the best part (for me anyways!) was no haggling! My young son even enjoyed our trip the mall and bought a traditional Indian outfit. I bought a couple of really nice kurtas for about $40 each. Near one of the malls is a Pizza Hut and we had a great lunch there (kids loved it!).

The perfect Indian five star experience - right in the middle of town

by TripAdvisor Member Member403604

Spent the Republic Day weekend here in January 2007. Wanted to go to one of those famous 'Palace' hotels in Rajasthan, ended up in Kolkata instead and then realised we'd found exactly what we were looking for.

I can only agree with all the other reviews. This hotel offers all that's best about the Indian five star hotel experience. Super rooms, efficient and discreet staff, a great ambience and a great pool in the courtyard in the middle of the hotel.

Best thing is that it's right in the middle of town.

I'd recommend a room on the inside of the hotel rather than the outside - as you would expect, there's a bit of traffic noise outside, though it's not bad and didn't really disturb me.

And have the Kathi rolls from the poolside menu - they're excellent.

Amazingly calming, great service, spa, food and more

by TripAdvisor Member dhkjhgjaih

The hotel is simply amazing. I've stayed at other hotels in Kolkata, but none were as nice as this, in my opinion.

The food was simply decadent, and there was a great selection and very reasonable prices...I'm sure it's expensive for India...gotta love that exchange rate. I don't usually go for buffets because I prefer my food to be freshly made to order, but the buffet food was very fresh and exquisitely made. From basic Bengali dishes to passion fruit creme brulee. And if you ask nicely (read: hit on the operator), room service will make you most anything at 2am after you've been drinking the whole night and worked up an appetite.

Staff was extraordinarily helpful. They helped me plan excursions based on my limited schedule. They always give you a little bow of the head when they pass by, always open the doors for you when they are around, always asking if I need anything at all. They're all very pleasant.

The spa was also amazing. I went for their self-named Oberoi massage and it was the best massage I've ever had. Olive was the name of the Thai masseuse.

Considering the location (one of the loudest areas of the city) there was relatively little noise within the hotel. Even outside at the courtyard of the pool you could only make out some city noise if you really concentrated on it.

The rooms were immaculate and well decorated, with a comfortable, but grand old feeling to them.

The only gripes I had were that there was a bit of construction being performed on the pool when I was there, you could hear the city noise in the spa room (I would imagine they would sound proof a room dedicated to relaxation), and that international phone calls cost too much. Oh right, and James Brown died when I was there. That kind of sucks too.

I would also suggest the Taj Bengal. It is about the same price, and also has amazing food. I didn't feel the service was quite as good because it's a larger hotel and you get less of a homely feeling from it -- but it was still great. Again, because it is so large and grand, it has a cold feeling to it relative to the Oberoi. I didn't think the spa treatment was as good either. But again, I would still highly recommend it.

Stay away from the ITC Sheraton Sonar Bangla hotel. It is awful. Horrible customer service, poor food, poor spa, unclean rooms, broken temperature control, etc.

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Scottish8traveller

Lovely hotel. Not as spectacular as Taj Towers in Mumbai but a good solid reliable luxury and above average for India. Service better than many others (especially Taj Towers in Mumbai).

Lovely internal courtyard and large rooms and bathrooms (although very sobering to look out of rooms onto street).

Breakfast was best I have had in any hotel in India!

Market behind hotel good but beware single female travellers, I am not faint hearted but was very harassed.

Probably the best in Calcutta

by TripAdvisor Member newyorkanya

This is probably the best place to stay in Calcutta. The location is great, it’s a fabulous Victorian building and the food is generally thought to be better than at the Taj. The service is enthusiastic though sometimes a little too much, with people constantly coming into the room. And the spa (run by the Banyan tree) is not worth the money. The facial I had there cost as much as New York but was not as thorough.

Comments