Hotel President

Agoda.com MakeMyTrip.com

More about Chandigarh

Rose GardenRose Garden

Rock Garden, ChandigarhRock Garden, Chandigarh

(pic by Antonis)(pic by Antonis)

Travel Tips for Chandigarh

The Capitol area

by magdaki

Desighned by Le Corbusier, the famous modern architect, the administrative centre of the city is an absolute must for those who are interested in architecture.
Security was a bit strict when i visited the place, the reason we were allowed in was because we were students of architecture and we had a letter from a New Delhi University.. Still, it' s definately worth a try!

Typewriter Row

by Willettsworld

I wandered around the shops in sector 17 for a while and stumbled across this very strange sight. Dozens of guys sitting at little desks typing on typewriters! I haven't seen a typewriter for about 20 years yet alone used one. There were notices around saying "Notary" and "Advocate" so this lead me to believe that they were here to type up legal documents for people. Even though, in this age of computers and the internet, it really was a strange sight to see. Some of them looked older than the city they were in! Its very funny as there's internet places around with modern PC's so why they still use typewriters is a bit of a mystery but there was certainly the demand for them. I nicknamed the area Typewriter Row and moved on to find an internet place!

Eccentric City with an Austere Facade!!

by lachydragon

"My Chandigarh Experience"

I have to admit that Chandigarh was not high on the list of places that I was dying to visit in India. I had read that it is one of India's most planned cities - the brinchild of a European architect Le Corbusier - that was enough for me to rule it out.

My trip was one which was to take me from Haridwar Westwards towards Chandigarh, North to Kalka then the Toy Train to Shimla and across to Dharamshala. I was trying to avoid staying in Chandigarh to save the time for the mountains but as always with unplanned travel our experiences changed our track slightly. We arrived in C'garh late in the afternoon by bus and were to catch another bus early in the morning to take us to Kalka for our train connection. We booked some accommodation and went out for dinner, and when we returned to our hotel met up with the wonderful Narinder Singh - self appointed ambassador to Chandigarh and a a true gentleman! Narinder showed us that there was more to Chandigarh than meets te eye!

"Narinder Singh- Aap se milkar mai bahut khushi hai"

Narinder Singh has made it his life's mission to show people the city that he is so proud of. In his late 60's Narinder Singh gets around town on his trusty bike and usually meets travellers at the bus stand. If you don't know about travel in India - bus stands can be pretty frenetic places, there are lots of people and many are trying to push a really hard bargain! Narinder saves bleary-eyed, worn out travellers from the clutches of auto-rickshaw drivers and helpfully guides them to their hotels or the sights of Chandigarh, all for the love of it!!

We met Narinder in the evening at our hotel when we were returning from dinner and we read some of his treasured notebooks, filled with wonderful stories and thanks from the multitude of travellers that he has assisted over the years. A fascinating man, we headed to his favourite chai stop to chat and when he discovered our Hindi was delighted to help us along with conversation practice!! Over a few chais we re-jiggled our itinerary so that Narinder could show us the delights of Chandigarh the next morning. Plan was, an early start to head across town for some cheap and filling breakfast and then on to the Nek Chand Rock Garden via Narinder's local Gurdwara (Sikh Temple) for a look.

We had a wonderful morning with Narinder the next day and made the bus and train connection to get to Shimla in the afternoon!!

His favourite line was "Aap se milkar, mai bahut khushi hai" Having met you I am so happy! ... All the way to Shimla we were thinking the same!

Comments