Hotel Shiraaz

Sector 10, Panchkula, Opposite Main Bus Stand, 134113, India

More about Chandigarh

"Dove of Peace""Dove of Peace"

Rock GardenRock Garden

indian policemenindian policemen

Travel Tips for Chandigarh

Roses!

by Vija_v

Second thing u shouldnt miss in Chandigarh, that is 25 hectares with roses! I have never seen so many roses at once!
We are really lucky, cos finally somewhere we were in the right time. All roses blossomed and view was amazing!

Topophilia. Chandigarh.

by Adaptor-Plug

As Local Government Buildings Go...

Everyone knows they stuck the Tate Modern Gallery into a Pink Floyd album cover (Battersea Power Station to be precise). What not so many know is that a few decades earlier Le Corbusier had stuck the Punjab governing officials into a rerun of Didcot Power Station. What's more is that big cheese Nehru agreed to Le C's plan and supported the idea.

The whole planned Chandigarh city is a cracker for a planned city person like me. "City Beautiful" is what the round spectacled architect fellah was aiming at, though I'm not convinced he achieved "Beautiful" as my Indian school mates' mums would define it.

As I remember, their living room carpets and curtains suggested a riot in a textile mill and the ornaments they had on the tops of their tellies looked like Mrs Sunil had bought up the entire Rajasthan Barbie Doll back catalogue. Those bourgeois homes beautiful were not even close to approaching the monotoned stone blam that is Chandigarh beautiful. Big metal hands sticking up out of concrete holes, no curves on the concrete outdoor pulpits, lashings of concrete on the university faculties, concrete, concrete and more concrete for the parish churches, and acres of pedestrianised concrete in the shopping plazas.

I'd suggest that Chandigarh is better labelled "City Concretely Quite Nice."

What I like about places like Chandigarh is the full on, balls-the-size-of-a-donkey, 'I'm in charge here' thing, that architects were allowed to have in the nineteen fifties and sixties; when they were preaching to us uninformed peasants on how to live and what to live in.

Le C wrote an edict to sort us mere mortals out. How good is that? A city edict.

"The object of this edict is to enlighten the present and future citizens of Chandigarh about the basic concepts of planning of the city so that they become its guardians and save it from whims of individuals. This edict sets out the following basic ideas underlying the planning of the city."

I'm hooked already. Remove thine individual whims. Enlighten thou peasants thus. Ye design sinners of little education ye. Greeks meeks, meeks Greeks.

Oh! If only there were such urban design edicts when the North London plebs had just bought their council houses in the Thatcherite 1980s. No daft Georgian doors stuck on glorious Homes for Heroes' Terrace Cottages. No outsized fibreglass Greek pediment B&Q porches plastered onto suburban Tudorbethan semi-detacheds. With Le Cordictatorbusier at the helm my adolescent suburban homeland would have looked less of a dog's breakfast.

"Human Scale. The city of Chandigarh is planned to human scale. It puts us in touch with the infinite cosmos and nature. It provides us with places and buildings for all human activities by which the citizens can live a full and harmonious life. Here the radiance of nature and heart are within our reach."

He's having a laugh on that one. A cooling tower may put us in touch with the atmosphere but.... the cosmos? The infinite cosmos? Mate...

And what's with this radiance of nature within our reach? We had to get a taxi to get us around the place. Bloody huge. Walk? No chance. Sprawling. Goes on for miles. You must have longer legs than me, pal.

Anyhow. Chandigarh is one of those cities where you can stand by the barbed wire protecting the town council officials from the terrorists and expect Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas to leap out of a VW camper van and do a China Syndrome.

But would I want to live in it? Fur cough would I. I want to be able to put my Action Man collection on my telly without having some architect poking his nose in.

Next.

cactus garden 1

by mantru

National Cactus, Succulent Botanical Gardens And Research Center , Sector 5, Panchkula, Haryana. Development of this garden started in July 1987 cacti and most of the succulents are endangered species and this is an effort to conserve these planst for posteriy. There are more than 3500 species of cacti and succulents in our collections and the number is steadily growing. This garden prides in having the largest collection of Indian succullents in the world some of the India plants are on the verge of extinction.

Comments