Hotel The Class

A 282, Mahipalpur NH 8, Nr Indira Gandhi International Airport, Nr Indira Gandhi Internat'l Airport,
Hotel The Class
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Delhi

Are you thirsty??Are you thirsty??

One of the white marble pavilionsOne of the white marble pavilions

Nila Gumbad - Feb 09Nila Gumbad - Feb 09

The tankThe tank

Immunizations needed for travel

by joygal

I'm going on a tour arriving in Delhi the beginning of Dec. Is it necessary to get immunizations. My doctor says it is. I'm a bit leary of taking typhoid, malaria, hepititus plus additional things. I will be going to Agra, Jaipur,Rathambore to name a few places. Would like an opinion of someone who has traveled recently. Thanks.

by qaminari

Yes it is necessary, at least typhoid and hepatitus, plus catch up on any childhood vaccinations you may have missed; for malaria it depends on where you are going.
I don't know how much exposure you have had to countries where any of these dreadful diseases are prevalent, but I can assure you that prevention is better than cure. It's not like coming down with a tummy upset or a bad cold!
Anyway, why would you presume to know better than your doctor, are you medically trained?

by davidmg

I visited Delhi, Agra, and the Punjab state in March for 8 days. I did not get any immunizations and I did not become ill while there. I did take some antibiotics with me just in case I needed them (Cipro) and I took acidophilus pills each day. I drank water only from bottles, ate no uncooked vegetables or unpeeled fruit. We ate at local restaurants but were careful and had no problems at all.

However, had my doctor recommended immunizations I would have gladly gotten them. My biggest apprehension in traveling to India was that I'd get sick with something. But I was fine. We stayed in a very nice hotel (Hyatt), so the food and water there were not an issue for us.

by joygal

I have started taking the typhoid pills & am having all immunizations updated as needed. Thank you so much for your reply. It's so good to have a site like this one.

by celima

Personally, I think that you should have vaccination. I stayed there 1 month and was very glad to have all the vaccins, as you could come back very sick. Do not forget your pills (diarrhea) as it is very common to catch it overthere. I had it in Nepal and as you do not find toilets very easily, you have to take your pills at the beginning when you start having problems. Do not eat any raw vegetables as our system is not used to it (the way they are produced). Be careful with the fruits as well. Do not eat food from street vendors and only drink bottled water (no fruit juices). Hope to be of help to you !

P.S. You need for sure the "hepatitus vaccin" as it is going to protect your liver if you eat something risky.

Travel Tips for Delhi

Gandhi Memorial

by SirRichard

A very modern and 'flat' monument, it's a kind of open patio to where people use to come to pray and put flowers in Gandhi's memory. http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/bright/gandhi/gandibio.html

Inernational call booths

by j-san

When staying with friends and not at a swank hotel, you might need or want to make a call home. It will then be at a booth like this. Coming from the "west" it looks a little dodgy. But don't let appearances worry you! The cost of the call is clearly displayed on the meter ovehead and you pay after you have finished talking. These private STD/ISD call booths are absolutely everywhere.

take a look at the heavy...

by sandravdp

take a look at the heavy trafic. You can't go around it in Delhi. You often see weird things looking at the trafic. For instance every truck has a plate on the back saying 'Please horn', because most trucks don't have mirors to look behind them.

Auto rickshaw

by PeteG

Delhi is amazing to get around - but I'd recommend taking an auto rickshaw.

We hired one to take us on a 30 to 40 minute trip and the cost was 100 rupees for the hire of the vehicle. It would have been the same price for one person as it was for the 3 of us. It took a very short barter to get the driver down to 100 but he only started at about 200. 100 at the time of our visit was about £1.25 or $2.50. And absolute bargain but sometimes it does get a bit hairy and you will no doubt be driving considerably closer to the vehicle in front, to the left and to the right of you than you would normally. Great fun!

Railways links

by husain

Indian railways connects Delhi thru 4 main stations. New Delhi, Old Delhi (or `Delhi junction'), Sarai Rohilla and Hazrat Nizamuddin...
Hzt Nizamuddin and New Delhi stations cater to most long distance trains- East/ West/ South bound, while Sarai Rohilla and Old Delhi stations cater to the north bound traffic...
Its best to check which station your train heads out from before you decide to leave for the station.
Another thing, there is a special ticket counter for foreigners at some of the stations. I know there is one at Old Delhi station, i think the others would have it too. That allows you to book tickets that are out of a specific allocated quotas for foreigners. Its not easy to book train tickets at short notice usually- thru the general quota.

Comments