Sarans Heritage

18, Netaji Subhash Marg,, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, 110002, India
Otel.com

More about Delhi

Birli TempleBirli Temple

Delhi GateDelhi Gate

DetailsDetails

humayun gatehumayun gate

OPTICIAN

by christopheri

I will be in and around Delhi from July to October this year and I would dearly like to buy myself a couple of pairs of spectacles. Does anybody have any suggestions? If so how long ought I to allow for their construction?
That's the important part of my visit! However, if anybody has any accommodation suggestions ( my tastes run to spartan, central-ish and clean) then I would be very pleased to listen.
I am a soon-to-retire teacher from Cambridge, UK.
Many thanks,
Chris

by vdadu

Generally, It took around 3days for construction of a pair of Spectacles. However, the time may vary depending upon the requirements & workload but u can, at any time, ask the shopkeeper to make it within ur stipulated time stating the urgency.

Regarding Accomodations, Delhi is aversatile city and thus offers lot of accomodation options. I had already answered the same just next (to u)in the same forum. Please, check it out and if u find any specific ques...pls ask freely.

by bnanno

A good place with excellent choice of frames, both non-branded and famous brands- and service is
Seventeen Arcade, at M-28-B, M-Block Market, G.K. I (Greater Kailsah I). This is a popular shopping market with Indians, and they are used to dealing with people from abroad.
I even have had them post me a couple of pairs to Europe via DHL, once they have the data and measurements on their files.
Complete spectacles with non-branded excellent quality frame cost me about 42 euros last year, whereas the same type for my son, who has a lot of astigmatism and needs maximum thinning, with all the anti-glare and other extras, came to about 78 euros. Progressive glasses in a frameless titanium frame worked out to about 135 euros.
You may contact them by e-mail at,
imran17arcade@yahoo.co.in
or telephone them (they speak excellent english)
00-91-29232457 / 29230017
Service is very quick, especially for standard lenses.

Remember though that different markets in Delhi have different closing days. The M-Block market closes on Tuesdays, so it will be open all day Saturday and Sunday.

Other reputed ones are Lawrence & Mayo in Janpath/ Connaught place, but I haven't been there for a number of years personally.
Hope this helps!

by Bimalaggarwal

if you would prefer decent prices , then I would advise go to Om Opticals is Sarojini Nagar.

Address:

Main Market
Sarojini Nagar H.O.
Delhi - 110023
Landmark: Near St. Mark's School
Phone: 011-26874629

After several years of buying from so-called upscale, famous show-rooms, I discovered that Om Opticals has similar
collection, but much better prices.

I now buy from a pair from them whenever I go to India.

by anilsaxena

1. If you want to pay reasonably, go to a lane called "Ballimaraan" (it is in "chandni chowk" locality, near to red fort). It has more than hundred shops selling spectacles. Most of these are wholesellers which sell to retailers coming from entire India and neighbouring countries. But many of them oblige to buyers of one or two pieces too. Off course, there are no doctors or optometrist there, and you should carry your glass numbers (information like lens power, cylinderical or spherical, bifocal or other wise etc.)with you.
2. TRy "Hotel Arpit Place"(or is it "Arpit Palace" ?) in Karol Bagh, Delhi.

Travel Tips for Delhi

have chaat in the bazaars....

by mitsi900

have chaat in the bazaars. Chaat is a spicy concoction of various types. Main ingredients are red chillies powder (spicy), tamarind water(sour), pepper powder and a green chutney made of mint leaves (this is healthy!). Usually vegetables like bolied potatoes or fruits are tossed in this mix.

Snake charmer

by grets

Many places we went, we saw the snake charmers with their reptile in a basket - the musician would play on his flute, and the snake would stick his head up out of the basket. The whole idea is that you will pay to take a photograph.

This guy was outside the Raj Ghat.

Purana Qila

by call_me_rhia

Visiting Purana Qila was unexpected: we had wanted to see Humayum's tomb but found it closed - since some minister was visiting it. We looked at our map and Purana Qila seemed pleasantly near. In a way we did not regret our visit - becuase of the Humayum connection (which we discoered only later on). At Purana Qila you can see the ruins of an old fort and a double-storied octagonal towered mosque: it's from this tower that Emperor Humayun accidentally fell to his death. A second highlight were the ramparts... we went for a walk along them and found it a favourite meeting and kissing place of many young Indian couples... Also note the northern gateway (Talaqui Darwaza , or forbidden gateway): Islamic and Hindu elements happily coexist there.

All Of India Crafts In One Place

by keeweechic

This seems to be the best place to see the widest variety and best of India’s fabulous crafts without having to wander too far. The market is wheelchair friendly which is not that common in India. The market tries to promote India’s handicrafts for reasonable prices amongst its 60 stalls. There are also some 25 stalls offering regional foods. It was a fabulous experience if not a little overwhelming with so much to see and take in and end up dumbfounded at what to buy. Thank you Arun for the great experience and knowledgeable conversation – not to mention laughs.

TRAINS..the best and most...

by kuini

TRAINS..the best and most comfortable way around India. Don;t bother with 1st class..go 2nd class sleeper, heaps cheaper and just as comfy, also a cultural experience.
Rickshaws. From Colaba to the airport was 200 rupees. We broke down only three times on the way.

Comments