2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

8502 / 41 Arakashan Rd, Ram Nagar, Paharganj, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, 110055
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Grand Godwin Hotel

good choice in Delhi

by TripAdvisor Member Ron31

This hotel was quite a good experience for us. It is certainly not fancy but more than adequate. The rooms were clean and the hotel staff were organized and helped us with our travel arrangements. We found accomadation in delhi to be either too expensive or cheap and got very strong negative reviews. This place is close to the train station which is handy and had good food at the restaurant. They picked us up from the airport our first night there which was great and had all our train tickets and flights booked and ready for us the following morning. We made prior arrangements which saves alot of hassel especially if you are short on time, everything books up fast so plan ahead either on your own or through a good agent. In all honesty Delhi is not a place where you will spend alot of time. Its a big dirty city with alot of noise and poverty however this hotel for us was a good place to stay while in transit to other places. We stayed in both regular rooms and a suite for one night. There is litle if any difference between them so opt for the cheaper rooms as you will probably not be staying long and its really not worth the extra expense. The area is close to a tourist market which is okay and there is some restaurants there. If you are choosing to stay for more than a day or two you may want a nicer place closer to tourist spots but for a day or two its a good choice for exploring and transit through delhi.

Decent hotel in Delhi

by TripAdvisor Member loveslifeandsunshine

We had travelled to India on a previous trip and stayed in the same area, Pahar Ganj. This is the rundown, cheap traveller area and a bit of a shock if you haven't been to India before. However, the area was safe to walk around and a convenient location.
We arrived late at night and were quickly checked in and brought to our room, a couple of minutes later we were called by the front desk and they had given us the super deluxe room instead of the deluxe we had booked and paid for. They said we could move the next day. After a great nights rest and breakfast at the hotel we had our bags ready to move, but our new room wasn't ready and we wanted to go sightseeing. The hotel had no problem with us staying in the superdeluxe room until later that day. Overall the rooms (both the deluxe and superdeluxe) were a great size, with clean bathrooms. The staff was very helpful and always pleasant. I recommended this to other travellers later in our trip and they stayed and enjoyed their stay as well.

Watch for bait & switch scam!

by TripAdvisor Member lonelyplanettraveler

Nice and clean hotel but do not prepay! They raised our rate when we got there although we paid a month before arriving with a credit card through their website. They gave us an 'employee room', not the superior room we booked until we paid an additional amount. While we were there every night there were travellers at the reception yelling at the front desk managers because they were asking for additional money vs. the prepaid amount so this seems to be standard practice for this hotel. The staff is not friendly and not accommodating although this scam goes against all international hotel reservation rules. Even when you show them their internet printed receipt and E-mails they won't give you a room until you pay an additional amount. This is too bad because otherwise it's a nice hotel.

Bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member mikeesko

This hotel will aggressively try to sell you as many things as it can in terms of guided tours, etc. The lobby is nice enough - and that's all they show you on their website. The room was dingy and smelled. When I asked about going to Agra, the hotel tried to book an exensive guide/driver and would not give me directions to the Delhi train station as an alternative - because there was no commission in it for them. They also said no trains were available - which was a lie. I was promised an early breakfast because I had an early check out and was not given the breakfast. There were other problems and the staff was unpleasant to deal with.

Good hotel Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member Monkeyc

What a good stay. It is really difficult to find a well priced reasonable hotel in Delhi. 5 stars go for $400+ and all the rest just have very mixed reviews. Of all the hotels this looked like the best on trip advisorand was also mentioned in Lonley Planet.

They did not disapoint. The hotel cost $50 for two for the night, so brilliant value. The hotel was clean, very nicely appointed and service good. We were in room 309, a little noisy (but we slept fine) from the street, but we wanted to look out. Just ask for a room on the side if you need very quite sleeping time.

Great location, between new and Old Delhi, right next to Connaught Place and New Delhi station.

We also booked a driver for the day through the hotel and it was excellent value rs650 for the day, 8hrs or 80km.

Breakfast was fair with a nice selection was offered on the roof. (no views)

Bathrooms and shower all in one but worked well, and this seems to be common in India.

If you are looking for nice hotel and are not wanting to pay much this hotel will deliver far more than you expect.

Staff were friendly (except for reception).

Auto rickshaw to Connaught pace will be about rs100. I think this was too much but out off all the places in India you need to watch out in Delhi. Just set a price before you leave and if you are comfortable with it, it may not be worth the argument for an extra few cents off when you convert back.

Much better than I expected

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member tryfan

A block away from the Ajanta where we had stayed at the start of our tour, we decided to try this place on our way through Delhi to the South.
Modern bedrooms and helpful staff. The 2000rps cost included a good breakfast, but not an airport pick-up. There is a taxi service desk in the lobby.
Good value for money

Great hotel w/ wonderful restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member parfum

We stayed at the Grand Godwin, not the Grand Godwin Deluxe.

This hotel is a great value. The hotel lobby is snazzy w/ marble and a glass elevator. The room (single, Deluxe) was on the smaller side but was clean and nice. The bathroom also was clean. It has fast internet in the lobby. The restaurant on the top floor surprised us because it had really wonderful food and I think we had our best meal of India there!

Altogether, a great value. I paid $42 for the night. It was very, very reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this place to people who are looking for a good mid-range hotel.

Adequate rooms, poor service

by TripAdvisor Member tripper044

The room was reasonably clean but not free of the occasional scurrying cockroach. The hot water facilities were pathetic but otherwise the bathrooms were clean and functional. The room service was a consistent problem; I had to call to get the room cleaned. The night staff at the reception were rude and ill-trained. My offense apparently had been to check out at 6:00 AM and thus trouble their normally scheduled program of doing nothing. It should've been Monthy Pythonesque funny, except it wasn't. Word of advice: establish your superiority in the pecking order quickly and firmly, else the staff will be inclined to take you for a ride. The over-friendly tourist is an exploited tourist.

A clean, well-maintained hotel with reasonable rates

by TripAdvisor Member Doublefairlie

At last! a clean, well-maintained hotel in Delhi with reasonable rates. After 5 weeks of travelling through India, it was so comforting to find clean linen and a well-maintained hotel where everything actually works! The hotel is on a busy street close to New Delhi Railway Station, but the rooms are quiet. Booking was a breeze with the excellent website. I paid $35 for a single including breakfast. Strongly recommended.

A pleasant Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member KMfromTO

Long but helpful review.

I have been to Delhi on a number of occasions for my personal business and on each visit, I have tried to find a new hotel that meets the following formula: best hotel + cheapest rates. Now this, for those who have been to Delhi, or any part of India, know is virtually impossible. Hotels in India are VERY expensive. A 2-Star hotel in Toronto (that's where I am from) would be classified as a 4-Star in Delhi, with the price of a 5-Star in Toronto. So when I hear or read other reviews from people who have not been to any part of India and expect so much, I can't help but smile. So here is my advise to everyone from N.America or UK or Australia or NZ or any first world country: don't expect too much.....even if you have to dish out $200/night. Don't expect the hotel that you will have booked your room in to be like one of the hotels in Toronto or Chicago or Auckland or Melbourne. Unless of course, you are willing to pay about $400-500/night. Having said that, you could get lucky, as I did on my last trip to Delhi last month (May 2008).

On my previous trip to Delhi in December 2007, I stayed at the Mehga Sheraton in Karol Bagh. Apparently, the owner of this hotel (Naresh) owns two other hotels not far from each other: the Mehga Sheraton, the Madonna and third hotel I cannot remember. The Madonna is the "top-of-the-line' from all three with rooms at about Rs.5000/night (US$ 110.00 @Rs.45 a $). The Megha Sheraton that I stayed at was around Rs. 3300.00 The room was small, the bathroom smelly, the couch stained and lots of noise. And, get this, the site advertises "Free internet". But you have to go to the Madonna hotel to use the internet, the one I was staying at does not have it. So anyhow, on my last trip to Delhi, I found this gem of a hotel. The Grand Godwin (or maybe it's the The Godwin Grand). Now again, don't compare this to a hotel in a first world city. But for the price of Rs. 1800 (US$ 40.00), this hotel was twice as nice as the Megha Sheraton and lest than half the price! Finally, I had found a gem. The bathroom was clean, the room was spacious, the service excellent, the hotel itself (rooms, lobby) very clean. And it had wireless internet that actually worked! The hotel also has a sister hotel, The Godwin, located right next to it in the Pahar Ganj area. The Pahar Ganj area itself is not very clean. Its crowded, congested and smelly. But because I was out most of the day and in my hotel at night, it didn't really bother me. The New Delhi Railway Station is about a 5 minute WALK from the hotel. Connaught Place (locally known as CP) is a downtown core with plenty of shopping and restaurants and is about 5 minutes auto-rickshaw ride from the hotel. For those people who are on a budget, I strongly suggest you check this hotel out.

A few tips about travel to India.

1. DO NOT trust information about hotels on their websites. Most of the time, it is misleading. For eg. the Internet scenario at the Mehga Sheraton on my Dec. 07 trip.
2. Most hotel managers (not all) will smile, bend over backwards for you and while doing that, will empty out your pockets. Be smart and ALWAYS negotiate.
3. When planning a stay in a Delhi hotel (or any hotel in India) NEVER book through any online consolidators (Expedia, Travelocity, etc) even if it is a few dollars cheaper. You have to pay in advance for the number of days that you will be staying and should you not be happy with the hotel after your first night, you are stuck! And recovering any money would be a nightmare, if not impossible. Best thing is to get the tel. number of the hotel, call them and book a room for 1 night. Try it out and if you don't like it, you can change the hotel. Of course, the risk with that is they may not have rooms available for more than one night. But if you are travelling during off-peak months, you should be alright. Some of these hotels, when booking, will ask for your credit card info. I normally don't give it out and almost always pay by cash.
4. Peak months in Delhi: November to February. Pleasant weather. Between May and September, it is very hot and generally off-peak months. During these months, you can most likely negotiate room rates.
5. Most hotels charge about 12% tax on hotel rooms. Be sure to ask if the rate you are being quoted includes tax.
6. Ask questions. If you are told "there is Internet connection", ask if the Internet is in the same hotel that you are staying. If they say they offer wireless internet, ask if it works. I am saying this from experience.
7. Be polite to the locals. They work very hard and are very poor. They have less than 10% of what we have in N.America or other developed countries. Negotiate with them (for eg. the rickshaw people with cycles who transport you) for the best price. But then when you arrive at your destination, give them a little more. Many times I had travelled by these rickshaws and see them sweat as they work their way through traffic and in the heat. I normally give them about Rs. 50 more than what they had asked for. And the look in their eyes, the gratitude they display just melts my heart. For me, that Rs. 50 is fractionally more than a dollar but for him, it will feed his entire family for that evening. Be generous, at the same time, be wise.
8. Finally, go to India with a totally different frame of mind. Don't expect things there to work as efficiently as in your own city. When things don't go right (and believe me, there will be many times when they won't) bear it, tolerate it and laugh it off. When you say "well...back home things are done this way or that way or this fast", you will end up having the most miserable time of your life. India is India! Period. End of Story. Be open minded and enjoy. It took me a long time to figure this out. Earlier when I used to go to Delhi, I'd want to come back back to Toronto after 3 days! During my last trip, I went to India with a different frame of mind and enjoyed my stay. Or perhaps it was the euphoria I experienced when I found the right hotel (?)

Anyhow, hope this has helped, and enjoy your trip. I will be going back in October 08 if anyone is planning a trip to Delhi around that time wants to hook up.

Comments