Shangri La Hotel New Delhi

19 Ashok Rd., Connaught Place, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, 110001, India
Shangri-La's Eros Hotel
Hotels.com Shangri-La.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 56% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Shangri La Hotel New Delhi

Highly Recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member kellyhk

I was in India for a friend's wedding last Jan and had stayed at the new Shangri-La New Delhi with my fiance.

The hotel property was the usual very nice Shangri-La 5* style. Plasma TV, comfi bed, nice shower etc (see photos). There are also lovely restaurants and bar at the hotel. The selection at the breakfast buffet was excellent - perfect place to try out all the local food if you are worried about the cleaniness on the street.

We were actually there over the New Year and the hotel had given us a lovely chocolate plate as welcome amenity. Very nice touch.

I'm not quite sure about the location (only know that it's in the city centre) since we always travelled in cars/taxi when we go out anyway.

Recommended to all 5* international hotel chain travellers. This hotel will meet your expectations.

Extremely disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member crazytraveller3

After reading the positive reviews here, and based on previous experience with the Shangri-La group, I decided to stay at the Shangri-La New Delhi. What a mistake!

The Negatives:

The service at the front desk is absolutely appalling. They were never able to assist me with anything, prefering rather to give me a disinterested glare. After having made prior arrangements to have an additional bed provided in my room ( I was travelling with a child), the hotel informed me 3 hours after I checked-in they would not be able to provide an extra bed. The management were absolutely useless, unable to provide any explanations. They then had the audacity to imply that I hadn't made a prior arrangement, a statement they later retracted after they checked their system!

At the very least, a 5star hotel charging $400.00 a night for an ordinary room should know how many guests to expect and prepare the rooms accordingly.

The housekeeping department were sluggish. They take at least 30 minutes to respond to the simplest of requests, don't replenish the amenties properly, the list goes on.

I also noticed that the shower in my suite leaked and the bath-tub was very shoddily sealed. Not to be expected in a fairly new hotel.

The Positives:

I stayed in an executive suite, which was lovely. It has a great view, much nicer bathroom with a seperate bath and shower, Aigner amenities and a lovely chocolate platter on arrival. The price difference is quite substantial, but it is worth it from a comfort perspective.

Room service was great. The presentation, timeous delivery and excellent quality of the dishes impressed me.

The spa was also impressive. They offer a wide range of treatments and the staff are friendly and professional.

The concierge desk was always very helpful, which I particularly appreciated as it was my first time in Delhi.

Location was good. There are a couple of markets nearby, but transport is quite cheap in Delhi so location is not hugely important.

CONCLUSION

All things considered, I will never stay at the Shangri-La again. Their service levels leave much to be desired, and is a Shangri-La in name only. The rest of my trip, we stayed at hotels in the Oberoi group and they are head and shoulders above this hotel in every respect.

A bit disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member gags9999

After having reading all the rave reviews anout Shangri-la, New Delhi, we were left disillusioned with the actual experience.

The problems started right from the check-in. We were initially told that there was some problem with their computer system and that we have to wait a while for the room. But after again enquiring 30 minutes later, we were told that no room was vaccant as a guest had requested for a late checkout and they were just checking out that room which would be made available to us in a short while (The time was 6:00pm , well ahead of the standard check-in time of 12:00pm. How can they acceed to such a request when they were fully booked?). To compound the problem, the hotel lobby is woefully short of sitting space. There is only a single couch in whole lobby which may seat at best 7-8 people. The seating did exist on the far side of lobby but as a part of hotel's coffee shop. We did ultimately get the keys to our room after about an hour of waiting.

The room was situated on the 11th floor and was of adequate size. The room was pleasant, elegantly furnished and well lit. The bathroom had a see through window but a blind could be lowered for privacy. A plasma TV, which could be seen through the bathroom also, was a nice addition. Though, the channels were rather limited. Bed and duvet were very comfortable. The air-conditioning was fine but the manual setting of temp. control always reverted to the default after some time. Coffee & Tea supplies were not replenished regularily and we had to make repeated calls to get the supplies. The windows overlooked Rashtrapati Bhavan (President of India's official residence) in the distant background.

Breakfast was served in Cafe Uno at the lobby level. There was a choice of indoor as well as outdoor seating. The spread was good, consisting of Indian, Chinese and Western cuisine. Service was okay but not exceptional. We had to wait for the omellete (which the chef told will be delivered at the table but had to eventually go and fetch ourselves after 10 minutes), then waited for the ketchup for another 10 minutes.

The location is excellent. It is in the city centre, close to the famed Lutyens area of New Delhi (Connaght Place, Parliament, Rashtrapati Bhavan etc.).

Overall, during our stay, we felt there was room for improvement in service. It may have been an isolated case, going by earlier reviews (or our expectations may been more because of those same reviews). The hotel itself is top class and exudes a cosy and warm feeling. It can definitely do with a bit more of lounging area in the lobby.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member FFG

We had a brilliant time at the Shangri-La. Got a good deal on the internet the night before (£85) a night. The hotel is beautiful and the staff are so helpful. You are treated like royalty!
The food in the restaurants is amazing and very cheap compared to UK prices of similar standard, however expensive for India.
Our room had a good view of delhi's main attractions and the room was very comfortable and had everything you could possibly need.
Beware of the rickshaw drivers who pounce on you as soon as you walk out. We just wanted to go to the ATM across the road and they wanted to take us for 5 rupees! If you use a rickshaw or taxi insist they use their meter. There is a taxi company around the corner if you find the hotel taxis too much.
We booked an all day tour of old and new delhi sights at the hotel. It was 900 rupees per person. May have got it cheaper if we had gone to Connaught place where there are more choice of tours but we were short of time. The guide was excellent, the bus was air-conditioned and we really enjoyed it. No matter who you go on a tour with, you will be taken to souvenir shops who give the guides a commision. However we only stayed 20 mins in the shop and had free drinks and no-one minded that we didn't buy anything despite their initial efforts.
I would definately stay here again as long as I got a good deal of course!

What a Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dell89

It all started at the airport with the arrival of a wonderful Toyota Camry. While passing the parliament on the way to the hotel the driver called and said we were reaching. A lady was waiting at the door and escorted us to our horizon club room where the check in process was completed. The coffee shop is the best I have eaten at and the lounge facilites are very very good.

Overall the best hotel ive stayed at in India after the ITC Sonar Bangla Sheraton. I would love to stay here again and look no further in the city of Delhi

Five Star All the Way

by TripAdvisor Member reli01

I visit New Delhi fairly often on business. I have stayed at most of the five star properties in the capital city of India. Shangri-la is the latest addition amongst the five star properties here and it does seem to be a threat to others. The staff, the service right from reception, housekeeping to restaurant and the quality of food served are absolutely top notch. I stayed just for a night in a room on the horizon club floor (17th to 19th). The view from room was fantastic. The airport pick-up was perfect so was check-in. At the time of check-in the front office staff on the club floor would hand in a letter containing the list of services to be offered to a guest in a horizon club room. The room is functional with transparent bathroom with top class amenities (Aigner soap, nail cutter, etc.) Breakfast at club lounge is quiet but filling with choice of hot and cold stuff. For a better spread one would have to visit the ground floor coffee shop. During my entire stay I did not find any fault at all, the staff was always prompt and efficient. Therefore, I am going to return in future and would recommend this place to business travelers for its heart of town location and business facilities within.

service service service

by TripAdvisor Member LMC_Canada

Our travel agent booked us two nights to start our tour of India. Perfect service, nice room, this is a quality hotel. The staff of this hotel has obviously been well trained. The breakfast for wonderful and we had a great dinner in the fine dining room. I had expected dinner to be more costly at a 5* hotel but it was well priced. (it was expenive by Indian restaurant standards) Wine in India is very expensive so stick to beer. A great hotel for either business or pleasure.

5 star service - 2 star food

by TripAdvisor Member DublinSunshine

Firstly - the service was first class. The staff and facilities are great here. We didn't want to risk eating outside the hotel so we had the buffet most nights and tried the A La Carte 2 nights. The buffet was surprisingly poor - like what one might expect from a half-decent high street takeaway, but less tasty - it was bland and cheap-tasting. The a la carte in the restaurant on the 1st floor was alright. We had the Chinese one night and the Thai another night but I've had much better quality Asian food at home for less cost. The Waiter thought we were joking when we said the food was just "ok". The buffet food actually repeated on me twice during my stay. The table service was very good when required.
5 star service - 2 star food.

first class service

by TripAdvisor Member stevieonions

we stayed at this hotel at the start of our trip to india and at the end, and i must say the service was excellent. i booked the hotel direct and upgraded to the horizon club. the room was for me and my partner and an extra bed for my daughter.
we was picked up from the airport by limo which had cold water and cleaning towels to freshen up. the check in was smooth and done in our own room. the room was a good size on the 19 th floor, ( the horizon club floor ). we had the choice of soft drinks, hot drinks and snacks all day from the exclusive club room and then in the evening 2 hours of free drinks and cocktails. well worth the extra cost.
we ate in the ground floor restaurant which had first class food.
also use of the pool and spa area which is fantastic. my partner made use of some of the treatments which you had to pay for but still cheap by our standards.
but the thing thar stands out for me was the nice, kind, polite and freindly staff, for whom nothing was to much trouble. especially the staff on the horizon floor.
we had to check out late to catch a night train ( 9.00 pm ) but the limo was there for us . also we could use the horizon lounge again for food and dinks ( gratis ) even though we had checked out some hours earlier. thankyou mr marwah and all your staff. that is why we stayed there again before we flew home and had an equal experiance. highly recommended.

India GateIndia Gate

lots of jewelry choiceslots of jewelry choices

QUTAB MINRQUTAB MINR

Red Fort, DelhiRed Fort, Delhi

yoga

by NYTim

Are there places in Delhi where I can practice Yoga on a daily basis?

RE: yoga

by umashanker

yogena yogo jnatavyo yogo yogat pravartate;
yo’pramattas tu yogena sa yoge ramate ciram ( Yoga-Bhasya 3.6)
By means of yoga, yoga is known; from yoga, come yoga. One who is assiduous in yoga rests in yoga forever.In the early hour at Lodhi Garden people enjoy morning walk and do Yoga.This is common seen people doing Yoga in Community Gardens,some times there is some one who act as teacher and groups follow the instruction but mostly individuals who are practicing self.Many families switch on televison and most hindi news chanels are showing Yoga teaching by some expert and people sit before TV do yoga in the comfort of home.There is famous Yoga Institute in Delhi,there used to be community Yoga in the morning but i do not know is it same now days.You can contact them and gather information.
Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga