The Grand New Delhi

Nelson Mandela Rd., Vasant Kunj Phase II, New Delhi, Capital Territory of Delhi, 110070, India

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• SrishtiB's Profile Photo

hygiene & pest control

To celebrate my Mother's birthday last week, 8th June 2012, we took her to Caraway - the Indian eatery at "the Grand'. Two incidents ensued that makes me wonder how this place is still getting good reviews :

1. The cutlery wasn't washed properly and no one had bothered to check before placing on the diners table - in a 5 star establishment!!!

2. As we were waiting for our main course, a COCKROACH crawled on our table!! A roach in a 5 star F&B hotel!!!!!!! Unbelievable! I wish I had taken a picture of that roach on our table to show it here.

And then we suffered a very smug manager, who apologised but in a way that sounded so insincere! Like it was no sweat off his back. I even asked one of the waiters to get me the number of the managers' superior and they just scurried off without responding to my request!

If they think that a complimentary desert can make up for such atrocious service and unhygienic environment, then they are seriously mistaken!!! I shudder to think what happens in their kitchens, where the rats and roaches and lizards are being hidden!

• Preetibandooni's Profile Photo

Grand New Delhi: Settle in Style

Every time I visit Delhi I like exploring different venues accordingly this time I decided to visit Grand New Delhi. Situated in the vicinity of South Delhi this hotel provided me a comfortable and luxurious stay in the city. At the very first sight of the extravagant building and splendid hotel complex I was impressed with it. The state-of-the-art amenities provided me great pleasure of staying in Delhi. The array of room services and other hotel amenities includes lavishly decorated rooms with round the clock efficient room services.

Along with it I also enjoyed various activities available at the hotel for leisure such as Swimming Pool, Billiards, Tennis Court, Sauna and beauty care. As I was staying alone all these activities were of great help for filling the spare time that I had. The hotel bookshop and art galleries provide some more measures for leisure although I preferred visiting nearby malls at Gurgaon which offers great options for shopping and leisure.

• ajmacnab's Profile Photo

Great Price for a 5-star hotel!

I stayed 6 nights at the Grand New Delhi in early June 2006. It was the best price I could find for a 5-star hotel in New Delhi. Very classy hotel but the only drawback was its location which was away from the downtown core and closer to the airport...which I did not mind at all really. The pool in the back is first class! I got this hotel for $129.00 plus taxes on Expedia.com.

• 5*?????? they give them out for free here!!

Well, The hotel is OK, I use the term loosley. Room keeping bother you to clean the room (no Lie-ins here) even if you set your door buzzer to "do not disturb". 5 powercuts a day (more sometimes) are commonplace. Room with a bar (yayyyy you say) can of pepsi £1.10p crisps in "awful" flavours 80 pence. You can get european pringle crisps (small tin) for nearly £5!!!!!!!.
    I work odd (UK mirrored) hours so when I come "home" I get a beer and relax. Kingfisher or Castle beer 600Ml (big) bottles are only £2.10 each.....not bad you say. There is a petrol station next to the hotel with a "Gourmet?" shop attached.......same beer 40 pence a bottle. How do they get away with this? "Goverment taxes" so tourists are targeted directly by the goverment (which my driver reliably tells me are all very corrupt anyway) Its a roof and a bed......and better than a shed.

Unique Quality: Views are so so (petrol station) food looks great, stomach bug for desert is the kicker (not a generalisation)

More about The Grand New Delhi

Holi

by Sharrie

We arrived the week India was having Holi.

Holi is the festival of colors.
In essence, it means one have fun with friends & loved ones & their way of doing it is to smear colors on everyone they come in contact with. This event is celebrated almost everywhere in India & is considered one of the major festivals of the year.

I found a great website which details all about Holi. For anyone interested in finding out more, please proceed to ColorsOfIndia.com.

We were supposed to leave on that saturday morning for Jaipur. Our VT friends Radz & Husain advised us against doing so for fear the crowd might get too rowdy & it wouldn't be a smooth ride. So, in essence, we missed out the fun. Instead we entertained ourselves at Grand New Delhi (formerly Grand Hyatt) with a heavenly pedicure & a lousy haircut!

Relaxation at the Grand New Delhi

by SharrieShaw

"Grand New Delhi"

Formerly a Grand Hyatt property. So, it looks grand. Same color theme & decor.
The room looks great. Beds are one of the most comfortable around in the world. We (Audrey & I) both love the mattresses & pillows. Room with safe (which is an essential in India)!

Reason why I chose this over others is essentially it's one of the very few hotels in New Delhi to have 2 twin beds. I checked with some properties like Sheraton, Taj Mahal, etc... & most of them has only king bed rooms! Something to take note of the 5* hotels in New Delhi.

Hotel is a bit inconveniently located but with transportation cost so low in India, that's not a big problem. Airport transfers from/to the airport is also free of charge. A great advantage especially since we arrived late at night & did not get a car until the next day.

Service is not that great but we found that out all over India anyhow. But one incident left a very bad taste. We were on the way to airport on our last day stay & were left with no small change. Hence, no tip for the doorman. Well, he refused to close the hotel airport transfer car door at first & held it for a long time. After when we explained we didn't have small change (can't possibly tip $10 for just closing a door, can we?) he simply slammed the door on me! The worst I've ever had from a 5* hotel!

Unique Qualities: Generally, hotel has good staff, slow but polite. Definitely not a Grand Hyatt standard anymore but passable.

Buffet breakfast is included & is wonderful. Lots of choices of food. Food here is safe.

The hotel has some of the best Black Forest cakes I've ever tried. Yummy!

I had dinner with Husain at the Italian restaurant. It's quite good food but after the dinner I had stomach upset! A pretty bad one as well.

Japanese Restaurant is great. No problem with food here as well.

There is a spa in hotel & Audrey said it's quite good.
Manicure & esp. Pedicure are some of the best we have had.
Hair cut (only a trim essentially) is one of the lousiest (but at less than US$10 what can you expect!).

Generally, for about 1/2 the price of a room in Sheraton, I think it's good value despite some minor inconveniences.

Comments