The Metropolitan Hotel New Delhi

Expedia.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about The Metropolitan Hotel New Delhi

Expensive and not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member helengall

The room and hotel were both nice, clean and well equipped.

Staff were not particularly friendly.

After being told breakfast was being served until 10:30am (I think) staff refused to serve us the breakfast buffet at 10:15. We were just told this had finished.

Location is poor in my opinion. Its not within walking distance to anything. Taxis are cheap in Delhi but if you're going to get taxis/rickshaws (most of whom had not heard of this hotel) then why pay for a central location which is what this hotel partly sells itself on.

Worst complain...our room at the back of the hotel overlooked the pool area which was used for functions on both nights of our weekend stay. This was very noisy and particularly irrating to us, who with jet lag, also had a 7am train to catch.

I would stay here again but only if someone else were paying the bill. This hotel is comfortable but has no features that justify the price tag.

Overpriced, but otherwise fine

by TripAdvisor Member KVKV

My wife and I spent a total of 4 nights here in November 2006 as part of our Golden Triangle tour. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. Our room was very nice. However, this hotel is overpriced. Two years ago, we stayed at the Meridien which (at that time, we haven't been there since) was very nice with a much nicer location, i.e. not surrounded by slum conditions.

The Japanese restaurant boasted rave reviews. The food was good, but the atmosphere was so-so, made worse by the fact that smoking is allowed.

We enjoyed the buffet restaurant at breakfast. The selection was good and the food tasty. We had the supper buffet and it was excellent. We especially enjoyed the range of salads and the cheese plate. The desserts were excellent.

The business centre charges 300 rupees for 30 minutes of internet use (about $10 Canadian)- what!!?? The look on my face when the clerk told me that prompted some sympathy and she gave me 10 minutes free just to check my email. Find an internet cafe in Connaught Place.

The staff at the travel desk were not helpful. We wanted to go to a shopping mall. After considerable discussion about what a shopping mall was (remember, this hotel caters to lots of western tourists so we couldn't be the first ones to request this), the clerk recommended "a mall" 20 minutes away and offered to arrange a car for us. The hotel car would cost 2,500 rupees for one hour. Yes, that's two thousand, five hundred rupees. We said we would get a taxi and he gave a little performance about how that might not be safe, etc. We took the taxi and it cost only 300 rupees round trip. However, when we arrived at the "mall", it was just a department store with 3 floors and nothing to recommend it. Not impressed.

The health club/fitness room was not available due to renovations. I read a review from August that indicated the same thing. This must be one heck of a renovation they're doing to last for 5 months.

There was one fellow from the housekeeping staff who was a real nuisance. He was very friendly but was obviously angling for a tip. Whenever he would see us returning to our room, he would knock on the door "to see if everything was alright". This seemed like attentive service for the first few times, but then it became annoying. He would offer us "evening turndown service" at 3 in the afternoon.

This is a clean, comfortable hotel located close to Connaught Circle. However, it is overpriced for what it offers and the location is not attractive. I would definitely look elsewhere if I visit again.

Greatly disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member kikinini

I was greatly disappointed in this so-called 5* deluxe hotel. I shopped high and low on the internet for about 5 months prior to booking. At that time, the reviews on the NIkko were superb, and being a huge family reunion from all corners of the world (NY, UK & Papua New Guinea), it was going to be something special. Or so I thought!
The hotel itself is nowhere a 5*. Yes, it is clean and has 'crisp' interiors, but the rooms were disappointing with stains on the carpets and some of the tiling grout coming off in the bathrooms. The door keys were another issue altogether! I had to go down to reception 5 times because my door key didnt work and they had to reprogramme it.
The restaurants were averade except for Sakura which i give 9/10. The patio served some sorry excuse for sandwiches. Quite poor really, considering this is supposed to be a 5* deluxe hotel.
The door staff were courteous and friendly. I cannot fault them. The reception staff however, were another issue. They did not seem to go out of their way to make the stay memorable. Instead we got many blank looks when we asked for any help/advice regarding the shops/city. I have travelled a lot and for the money that we paid for a 5 night stay (£680!!!), I was so so disappointed.
On our last day, we went to the airport at the crack of dawn, pnly to find out our flight was cancelled and the airport staff told us that they had left a message with the person at the Nikko reception. You got it! They didnt bother to let us know. This I thought was disgraceful, and highlighted the total lack of hospitality. For a Japanese chain of hotel, this experience left me cold.

Lobby looks nice- but that is all

by TripAdvisor Member larklaw

We booked a few weeks in advance-standard room at 175/night-US dollars.This seems high but there are not too many high end names to chose from.
Our room was horrible- smelled like cats lived in it-carpet was worn- beds were really low to the ground and worn also. Lighting was really low-probably because they don't want you to see how rundown it is in the rooms. We arrived late and were only there for the night so decided to buck up and not complain. Maybe we had a really outdated room- but if that is the case that is not nice on the hotels part- the hotel was not full. Lobby was nice- but that is all I can say.

Great start to India

by TripAdvisor Member davidOnrusRiver

We chose the Nikko from a short list of 4-5star hotels from the
tripadvisor site and spent our first three days in Delhi at the Nikko before joining a group tour.From the minute we were saluted by the regal doormen everything was perfect.
The room was furnished in traditional style and was very cleanand comfortable,the service was attentive and timely.
The meals were good with the waiters very friendly,the buffets
were excellent especially the Saturday night seafood feast.The foyer was stunning and the elephant backdrop in the main bar was beautiful.In retrospect the Nikko was the best hotel we experienced during our 15 day stay in India which included luxury palaces and forts.We were told that the in-house restaurants particularily the Japanese were expensive but the main dining room was very good value.Would definately recommend this hotel.

Nice hotel, but not a 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member The_world_tourist

We stayed in different cities of India during 15 days and all the hotels where we stayed were 4/5 star hotels.

Our flight was delayed 4 hours and reached the hotel at 10 in the night, since we had paid our room in advance we had absolutely no problem at all. It's a good 30 minutes drive from the airport to the hotel.

The Lobby was very clean and looked very nice and new. From the lobby you could see the pool, the bar and the Sakura japanese restaurant.

The room was a bit small and the bed was more a japanese style (extremely hard for my back). The bathroom was very small. My wife could only come in the bathroom while I was in the shower, if not there was no space for both of us. On the whole, the room was clean.

I have no doubt the Sakura restaurant is one of the best Japanese restaurants in India, but it is also very very expensive.

Service at the hotel was very kind and helpful, but be aware if you plan to rent a car to go around the city. We got the same car and service outside the hotel at a travel agency for 1/3 of the price.

Location of the hotel is excellent, very near Connaught Place. But it's not walking distance! You can take a Riksha from outside the hotel and will charge you 10 Rs.

On the whole it's a nice hotel, but not worth the value and of course not a 5 star.

Very Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member LmcUnitedKingdom

I was not sure what to expect when I booked this hotel because of the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. The hotel photographs of the exterior on their website were not particularly impressive either.

I was pleased to find the hotel to be a good quality four to five star standard. The room was very comfortable and spotless with a very nice bathroom. The beds were a little firm for my taste. The food was first class. My wife did not like the dish she selected in Tuskar bar and the manager changed it immediately without any fuss.Service in the restaurant and from the concierge was above average. Location is central with a short taxi ride to Connaught Place. We enjoyed the Japanese singing group in Tuskar bar also.

The only downside was the view from the back of the hotel which is of a poor residential area.

I would recommend this hotel.

Calm introduction to India

by TripAdvisor Member JKF73

We chose this hotel specifically because it is a Japanese business hotel, and we got what we expected. Our room was a good size, clean, nothing overly spectacular, but it was a gentle introduction to the madness of India (we had only got married 36 hours previously so didn't want anything too full on). We did find the service on reception at the travel desk a little slow, but this is India so it wasn't really surprising, although we found the staff in general to be friendly. Both restaurants were good, and we thought the location was good - not quite in the thick of it all, but pretty central. The Sikh temple down the road is brilliant, a real oasis of calm in a mad city.

Other reviewers have said that the hotel itself and the restaurants are expensive, but business hotels are expensive - ok, so you don't get a true taste of India at the Hotel Nikko but it doesn't pretend to be either a cheap or 'authentic' option. And as for overlooking slums (which I think is a little extreme anyway) - India is an extremely poor country so not really a surprise, is it?

Clean, comfortable, convenient hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sraag74

Stayed at the Nikko for two nights in Feb 2007. This stay was the last leg of our India trip and we wanted a little bit of luxury after having stayed in cheap hotels/ with family.

Check-in staff were extremely courteous and efficient. Rooms were of good size and the power shower was fantastic (we'd gotten used to the bucket and mug routine!!). Lots of TV channels for when we just wanted to veg out during our last day.

Location-wise, couldn't more be more convenient. Only a 10-15 minutes walk to Cannaught Place.

Being part of a Japanese chain, there was a Japanese restaurant in the hotel which was pretty good. The main restaurant menu was a little unimaginative though.

Also, there were only two PC's in their Business Centre. I had to wait almost 2 hours to get a computer so that I could check-in online.

But on the whole it was a very pleasant stay indeed and would choose this hotel again the next time I'm in Delhi.

India's Capital City

by June.b

"New Delhi"

The different faces of the city are so fascinating. You'll find gardens with trees lined and beautiful parks, on other parts too crowded with heavy traffic, soaring skyscrapers, posh residential colonies and bustling commercial complexes can be seen along with the ancient historical monuments.

Old Delhi looks very different from the more modern New Delhi and south Delhi areas.

"Karol Bagh - Shopping Area"

The one (and I guess, only) reason I started my trip in New Delhi is to see India's greatest monument - The Taj Mahal.

First knock of a shock in India: I checked in at a hotel in Karol Bagh which I booked online. I didn't like the hotel, aircon is there but it's not working and with the weather in New Delhi, can't take a nap, plus the room is not really clean. I called the travel agent even though I have not taken a sleep for almost 24 hours already, and arranged for a better hotel. They picked me up took me to their office where I irritatingly listen to one of their bosses antics while sitting on a bench for about half an hour.

I was taken to another hotel which costs me US$31/night plus I have to pay a night for my 2-hour stay at the previous hotel.

Anyhow, the new place is clean, though I guess, the budget hotels in Delhi have almost the same type of beddings - hard mattresses but the bathroom was OK.

Am not yet talkin' bout New Delhi....not yet, juz an account of my arrival in the city.

I booked the bus tour to Agra from the same travel agency who kept on pushing me to take the individual tour with personal driver which costs about, if I can remember it right, something like 3 to 5 thou rupees, compared to their aircon bus tour (with a group of about 30 to 50) costing only 500 rupees. Plus, you've got to get this experience of meeting people in the bus, mingle with the local tourists, Indians from other parts of the country. The bus I took was an all-Indian group but I never felt alienated as they are genuinely friendly.

Check out my tourist trap page to see how some people I've met in the bus helped me out avoiding tour scams.

"Metropolitan Delhi"

Guess I don't have much stories about Delhi or New Delhi, though I stayed for 4 nights here, I didn't went around much except for some very prominent spots after my tour in Agra and also the places around the shopping area (Karol Bagh) plus some parts of Pahar Ganj & Connaught Place.

When I went down the hotel in the morning I joined the Agra tour, I was able to see the street life of Karol Bagh from a little past dawn til the sun started to go up. Saw a guy takin' a bath in the sidestreet with a pail of water, the newspaper cycle his way to the hotel, the vendor selling bottled colas and ...hmmmm... eggs? The night security in the other hotel who passed by and noticed that I have a cigarette so he asked for one which I gladly gave him, metered rickshaws - which are the most practical and cheapest means of transport around - maybe 2 or 3 of them but gets a lot before mid-day. Shops and eateries or restos do not open I guess until 10AM, so I was really really hungry even before we took our breakfast along the way to Agra.

Delhi has a warm weather and bustling city life.

Check the hotels where I stayed in Delhi.

Comments