The Zuri Varca, Goa White Sands Resort & Casino

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

More about The Zuri Varca, Goa White Sands Resort & Casino

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

by TripAdvisor Member S-Manu

Radisson - the good, the bad, and the ugly - and one recommendation !

I am an Indian, and stayed at The Radisson White Sands resort Goa in May 2006 with my wife and 2 small kids. Here are my observations :

THE GOOD :
* very large & clean infrastructure... you tend to 'get lost' in the first few hours!
* very modern and spacious rooms - touch of global class is evident
* excellent beach - though unbearably hot sand in the daytime
* excellent landscaping - perfect to a fault!
* excellent pools
* very good Gravity Pool area - good for unwinding
* cute in-house AC movie theatre - but bad timings - no late night shows
* good bowling alley - although with artifically oiled tracks

The BAD :
* staff is not at all friendly when the resort is crowded - avoid Fri and Sat !!!
* check-in is the most sensitive period for any new arrival - a few warm words and smiles can really make one comfortable - they were NOT offered
* the check in process was totally formal, as if an army initiation was taking place!
* no welcome singers were seen upon arrival - upon checking out they were seen (hardly a consolation for me!)
* the staff are well trained into saying "Sure Sir" when asked for something (like water, coffee etc. during mealtimes) and then they disappear !! It happened many a times and my kids started making fun of me (Dad, he won't do what you asked him to !!)
* housekeeping was good and bad, both ! Extra bed was very systematically arranged. But surprisingly, the two master beds are placed apart (not joined together) and the design is also such that when you join them together, the symmetry is broken (the back rest are nailed to the walls, so when you move the beds to abut each other, the back rests go unsymmetrical !!) - why so in a luxury resort ?
* the toiletries in the bathroom were not updated on day 1 of the stay. We had almost nothing. We did not complain not knowing what standards these people had.
* a strange thing is that they have the TV speakers (when the TV is on in the room, the sound is relayed in the toilet as well) in the bathrooms also... I saw this for the first time in a resort so found it strange. It is very distracting when you are taking a long relaxing tub bath... and no controlling switch was seen around
* not very courteous with the drivers (I had my own car and driver)
* I tried the "Hukkah" in the bar - the "flavoured" tobacco was useless in taste - don't try that. It's a waste at 400 rupees for 15 minutes!

The UGLY :
* The huge and beautiful "Poolside Cafe" was designated as our meals' venue. It was abruptly changed (on Fri and Sat night dinnertime) to the outer open Pool side
* It was a hell out there ! CROWDED like HELL !! Muggy weather, poor lighting
* Five Star ambience ? Forget it... it was a FIVE STAR SHACK (---) out there during dinner time (on Fri and Sat night) -- and also during breakfast and lunch time, inside the Cafe (the resort is just not designed to handle peak load)
* When a complaint was made to the front office about this, the smiling reply was "Yes sir, you are right... it is very crowded... we have 100% occupancy right now... kids' vacations, you see?... yes sir, you are right, it is very crowded..."
* there was no personal touch to my visit anywhere... no one bothered to ask me if I was confortable, or anything of that sort. The staff was under extreme pressure (100% occupancy!)
* an Indian guest was complaining to the staff of "racial discrimination". I do not know if he was right, but can speculate on his not being wrong! One somehow gets the feeling that on these resorts, Indians are considered second grade guys compared to white skinned people

One recommendation for Goa :

* if you are the adventrure minded soul, try the Water Sports at FORT AGUADA beach. They are the best anywhere is Goa ! It's a happening place (closed from June till Sept) - excellent water sports with trained operators and very decently priced
* Banana Ride (100 Rs per person as against 200 that resorts charge), Jet Ski (400 per person as against 800), Parasailing (1000 as against 1500)
* Go to the Big Blue shack for these sports - but beware of the extremely rude owner lady (fortunately she handles only food, not sports!)

Absolutely Fantastic, can't wait to go back.

I stayed b&b at the Radisson for 2 weeks in Feb/March 2006 with 2 friends & we all had a fantastic time. The hotel was spotlessly clean & the staff were very friendly & helpful. The day that we arrived we were greeted by 4 members of staff playing guitars & singing welcome to the Radisson, which was a great welcome to a great hotel. The atmosphere is very relaxed and stress free and i would certainly recommend this holiday to anyone that needs to de-stress as there is no such thing here.

We upgraded to a Deluxe seaview room with a small balcony which was comfortable, although not as spacious as we expected. The buffet breakfast is excellent with more than enough choice for anyone.
The swimming pool is huge, very clean & never crowded, with a great bar/staff. The hotel grounds are absolutely stunning with 2/3 pathways leading to a glorious soft sandy beach that stretches for miles with warm, crystal clear sea

On the beach close to the hotel there are 3 beach shacks. Glorio`s (3rd shack along) is excellent. We ate here almost every day and i would certainly recommend it. All in all we had an amazing time and are already looking forward to booking up again, but for 3 weeks next time.

Good hotel, poor service

by TripAdvisor Member shahsameer

Hi,

My wife and I stayed at the hotel from 12th-15th of June.

About the hotel location:
The location of the hotel is good if you are looking for peace and solitude since it is very far from the main city and other attractions of Goa. A 25 minute drive from the hotel will take you to a place where you can try water sports like the jet ski, banana ride etc.

About the hotel:
The hotel is spacious with picture perfect lawns and swimming pool. The rooms were good and spacious. The room where we stayed had cracks in the wall but the air-conditioning and room service was very good.

About the hotel food:
The hotel serves a varied buffet meal to suit all taste buds (except those who like their food to be spicy). The desserts are good but you can notice that left-over cakes are served for breakfast the next day as well.

About the hotel staff:
The staff at the reception looked glum and were not very courteous.
The hotel staff informed me that there was a dress code to enter the Gravity Pool (the in-house amusement center/dicotheque) but I noticed that they were dicriminating between guests and the ruled was not strictly followed for all guests.
My package included complimentary cookies and wine during the stay but I had to remind the hotel staff twice before it was arranged for and no apology was given.

Conclusion:
It is a nice hotel if you wish to stay for a couple of days but I would not recommend staying here for too long.

Mumbai, India

We loved it!

Me and my family visit many resorts for a holiday. We loved this one! It was nice all the way through our 5 day stay. Hotel was busy but that did not keep the friendliness of the staff away from us. The kids were well taken care of even when we were not around the pool area as the kids were stuck there. The second pool of the hotel was more peaceful so we always had a choice. The food was good in the buffet. I wish the seafood restaurant on the beach was open. I mentioned this to a chef (big guy!) and he took the effort to make some seafood items for us. They all cared! Rooms are nice but the resort is big and spread out so if you want rooms close to the lobby, you must tell them in advance.
Ayurveda therepists were good too. I usually do not go in for Ayurveda but maybe I will try again when we all return to this resort!!

Not Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member DeclanH

We stayed in the Varca resort for a few nights in mid July 06.

The hotel has a real large US resort feel to it. The rooms are very nice in fairness amd the lobby and restaurants are ok. The main bar/games area is tacky as hell but can be alright.

The food was ok. However, on my first night I became unwell (presumably from bad meat - my partner is vegetarian and did not become ill).

The main reason why I wouldn't return to this hotel is the treatment you will get when you leave. The hotel has a taxi company at the gate (which is 2km down a road from the main road). Their rates are a pure rip off and insult to radisson visitors. We paid about $30 to travel south to palolem beach but only $10 to travel in the same type of taxi to return from Palolem and go a further 15km past the radisson resort to the train station.

I raised this in a complaint with Radisson management and they weren't concerned at all that their customers were being ripped off.

kids loved it

by TripAdvisor Member cyberdoc

we stayed for 4 nights and 5 days at the radisson goa.
our overall experience was very good. We were in a pool facing room with the french windows opening onto the lawn. We loved the ambience, the vast sprawling lawns, amazing pool, friendly staff. There were daily activities for children which kept them occupied. Bed and bath linen were spotless. Though room and bathroom were very clean, we felt it was not really 5 star standard. Room interiors were a little too simple and bathroom sanitaryware looked a little worn out. But apart from this, no problems at all. Buffet breakfast was good too. We were on a bed and breakfast package since we wanted to sample the local goan cuisine and did not want to be stuck eating 3 meals a day in the same restaurant for 5 days. Unfortunately there was only one place (Sun n Moon) open nearby . All other restaurants open only in October for the tourist season and not a single beach shack either. We ended up ordering room service in the afternoons and going to sun n moon for dinner. Monsoon packages last till 30th sept, so we had a great holiday at a decent price.

Comments