Jl Melasti / Lebak Bene, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia

More about Kuta

Sunset at Kuta beachSunset at Kuta beach

Sunset at Kuta beachSunset at Kuta beach

Kuta beachKuta beach

bali food festivalbali food festival

From Kuta to Padang Bai

by jamiezhuo

Hi all,

My friend and I will be going to Bali for diving next month. We booked a room at Febri's Hotel and Spa which is at Kuta, however, later we are advised by the dive operator to stay at Padang Bai instead so that we do not have to travel for very far for the diving every morning for 4 days. Can someone tell me how long will it take to go from Kuta to Pandang Bai ? if staying at pandang is better for us, can you recommend a hotel there?

Thanks alot !!

by markbank

kuta and padang bai really far,,,i think u better find hotel at area padang bai or maybe cabdi dasa area,,,u can google hotel there,,,,for 4 days if u travel from kuta to padamg bai,,that really not good and maybe can spoil ur trip

by BesarRahasia

Hi
Kuta to Padang Bai takes around 1.5 hours depending on the time of day, it can get pretty jammed in the day with big trucks delivering goods to Lombok, but to be honest if you are doing morning dives then you will miss most of the traffic anyway.

You should try the Candi Dasa and Manggis areas as the choice of hotels in these places is better than in Padang Bai, and they are closer.(only 10 mins away) Just google "Candi Dasa Hotels Bali" or "Manggis Hotels Bali" and you will get a comprehensive offering of hotels in the area.

However there isn't much else to do in those areas, so if you are maybe wanting to combine some shopping and perhaps a little bit of social activity, then you might consider hiring a car for the 4 days and driving yourself. That way you can experience the best of both worlds, and it wouldn't be that much more money. The drive is very easy, as the new road takes you straight to Padang Bai.

Strangely enough, hotels in the Candi Dasa, Manggis, Amed areas are a little bit more expensive (for similar quality) than in Tuban/Kuta, mostly due to less number of hotels so they can charge slightly higher prices.

It's a shame that your dive operator doesn't provide free transport, even from Kuta, (there are operators in Kuta, that do provide free transport to the dive sires in and around Padang Bai, to be honest you will probably be diving around Nusa Penida anyway, which is an easy place to get to from Kuta/Benoa/Nusa Dua.

Anyway whatever and wherever you stay, have a great time over here in Bali.

by jamiezhuo

Thanks so much for your advice.. I guess it is really better for me to stay near Padang bai, don't wish to spend so much time on travelling every day.

by HelenNZ

If you are going diving you are much better off to stay in Padangbai. We have visited Bali many times and visited Padang Bai last September - we liked it so much that we are planning to spend three days there during our next visit in June. The hotel which appealed to us most because it has swimming pools is called the Puri Rai. There are some lovely beaches close by with good snorkelling. Why not spend a few days say in Seminyak for the shopping, restaurants etc. and while diving stick to Padangbai. It could take a couple of hours from Kuta to Padang Bai as you have to go through quite a lot of slow traffic around Kuta. Much more relaxing to stay in Padang Bai.

Travel Tips for Kuta

Small alleys with lots of shops

by myspices

Every alley you enter, you are bound to find interesting shops selling various stuffs. Some have services for tatoos, massages, beauty treatments, saloons.......Vendors will bid you to come see their shops. You can politely nod your head and say thank you and continue to walk along or just ignore their biddings. You will not be bored walking in and out of the alleys in Kuta.

Cheap clothings

by victorwkf

There is an place at the main shopping area of Kuta near to the Matahari Department Store which has many stalls which sell cheap clothings, including those with Bali pictures and words on them. There are also some handicrafts and souvenir shops around this area too.

drink by the beach

by aalayaa about de ja vu

if you're in double six beach (blue ocean beach) drop by at de ja vu for drinks.
the place is by the beach and very popular, especially at night.
on the weekend it's sometimes really crowded, people who can't fit in the room sit on the beach.
it's fun though :) all the drinks

A great place to escape to!

by Aloe9678

"Great live music"

One of the highlights of the trip for both me and my mom was the abundance of live music in the area. Restaurants, bars, hotels, everyone seemed to have live music, and the majority of it was great. We wound up at Obsession in Seminyak one night when we tried to find Latin music, and oh my God, the band playing was great. I have the name in a brochure somewhere, but I went back the next night and another great band was playing Celtic music -- still awesome.

"Delightfully bizarre..."

First off, I have to admit, I was scared to death almost every time I was in a taxi while in Bali, mostly because of the motorcycles. At first I tried to figure out how there weren't more accidents, but then I realized when everyone drives crazily, that's the normal.

I also noticed the immense desire of the Balinese to simply tell you want they think you want to hear, as opposed to the actual answer. There were many occasions on which the answer I got wasn't too close to what I asked, but they said it very politely!

"Love..."

The book "Eat, Pray, Love" gave me the idea to visit Bali. Even though we stayed in Tuban, we took a trip up to Ubud because I wanted to meet Ketut and Wayan, two of Elizabeth Gilbert's best Balinese friends. We made it to Wayan's, and then found out Ketut wasn't feeling well. I did get Wayan to autograph my book and I got a "healing." It felt wonderful, but we didn't stay in Ubud long afterward because I smelled like a salad!

Comments