Jalan Mertasari, Sanur, Bali, 80034, Indonesia

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Mercure Resort Sanur

wonderful stay at the Mercure Resort Sanur

by TripAdvisor Member monique42

This was my fourth visit to the Mercure Resort Sanur and I loved it again. The hotel is laid out nicely in a beautiful garden. The garden is well kept and contains a temple. The rooms I have stayed in are modern and well equipped and have all you need - including a balcony or terras overlooking the garden.
The hotel has two pools - one very suitable for (small) children. The sea is calm and with the trees on the beach you can enjoy the fantastic views without getting a sun burn.
Staff is very helpful in general and my first visit to the serene spa facilities rejunivated me. Try the foot reflexology!
Sanur is a rather quite place (compared to Kuta) but there are restaurants and shops on walking distance from the hotel. The hotel provides free shuttle bus to go to central Sanur.

I would recommend people to go to Sanur for a relaxing and comfertable stay at the Mercure Resort Sanur!

Monique Knapen

my experience

by TripAdvisor Member nhoenderop

I just got back from Bali and i just wanted to tell you all that if you are looking for a GREAT location to stay, Mercure Resort Sanur is the best option! It has 2 great swimming pools and VERY friendly staff.
You cant get to the other side of this hotel without being loaded with greetings. The location is also very nice, a lot of good restaurants and transport services. A would highly recommend this resort!

Mediocre Mercure

by TripAdvisor Member steve23

I stayed 3 nights at Mercure, Sanur in late May 2008 and had a twin deluxe room - the room like the hotel was a standard 4 star quality, the room was clearly showing signs of ageing, chipped doors and furniture - excusable if you get the room cheap but for GBP £55 per night in Bali – it is not value for money but then again like the rest of Bali excessive tourism has pushed up prices of everything to an unrealistic level. No longer can you consider a hotel will be of a certain standard because the hotel rates are of a certain price, Bali hotels are overpriced for what they are - do not expect anything near the quality and value for money you get in Thailand. Anyway, back to the Mercure, our bathroom sink gave a foul smell (like sewage) constantly during our 3 nights. I told reception twice and nothing was done about it. Then I realised nothing can be done about it because there is a constant sewage smell as you walk around the grounds. There seems to be something wrong with their drainage sewage system. I remember how I used to walk to breakfast and on approaching the buffet that sewage smell would drift past my nose, ahhh what a wonderful way to start the day! My only option was to plug hole the sink and release it occasionally when it got full up. The TV channels choices were good, but the TV is a bit small for the size of the room. The sofa in the room had a large visible water stain on the seat - which was indicative of the hotel slacking. The internet shop in the hotel is a rip off at 50p for 15 minutes, but all hotels in Bali are like that. The Breakfast is nothing exceptional, again 4 star standard with the usual egg station, the selection of breads is not great but they have whole meal, only 3 types of pastries which were the same every day, fruit watermelon, papaya, and pineapple - same every day, juice selection was more varied but not all the juices are fresh which is not made clear. However the view from the breakfast area is nice if you get the right seat, you can see the beach, and it’s situated right next to the pool. That said don’t expect coffee and tea from the waiters once it gets busy, its best to go before 9am anyway because it does get busy. They have two pools, the one by the restaurant is small and nothing special. The garden pool, is again pretty small but the right size for a 4 star hotel, the sun loungers are not busy because most people lounge on the private beach which has plenty of loungers. The beach is nice for Bali, quiet and the view is fantastic with lots of windsails etc in the sky and sea. There is no construction or moving of boulders as there is in Kuta and Tuban and the sand is orange and of a reasonable grain quality but not white or powdery soft. You can swim at certain times in the sea but as is usual in Bali the sea is a bit rough and more suited for wind sports. The Mercure is situated at the South end of the Sanur strip and so is away from the shops and bustle of the North part of the strip, so your choice of restaurants and bars is limited - not the variety you get in Kuta. Sanur on the whole was generally quiet, the restaurants fairly empty so you have no idea to assess their quality, hit and miss, so you relay have to follow the reviews. My worst experience was the Gateway of India restaurant in Sanur, virtually no vegetables or meat in their dishes just pure curry paste, disgusting. The beach restaurants to the left of the hotel which includes Donanlds are the most convenient choices, and you get to eat near the beach as opposed to the noisy and comparatively polluted (petrol fumes) roadside restaurants. I never tried the hotel buffet because I don’t do buffets unless im impressed by the breakfast which sets the standard. Overall the beach is very nice and the hotel grounds nice, the rooms are 3.5 star because they are becoming dated, the rest of the hotel is 4 star. Location is end of south strip so quiet beach, a bit of a walk to the nearest shops, bars, away from the busy Northern strip which is disappointing anyway. I stayed at Mercure because the Puri Santrian was fully booked, my advice is stay at the Puri Santrian.

Fantastic Honeymoon at the Mercure

by TripAdvisor Member menina80

We stayed here for our honeymoon last May and absolutely loved it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Initially they gave us an average-sized room, but when my husband complained that it was our honeymoon they immediately gave us a much larger room (with larger bed) with a view at the same price.
The location is great: Sanur is nice and quiet and there are many shops and restaurants. It is also easy to get to Ubud and other locations both by using the Perama bus or by hiring a driver/guide - most will pick you up straight from the hotel. We loved the beach at Sanur, much better than in Kuta where you are pestered continuously by people trying to sell you stuff!

What could be nicer!

by TripAdvisor Member argott

The standard room was large enough, nicely furnished with
generously sized twin beds. The bathroom featured a walk-in
shower with a shower-head the size of a dinner plate and lots of pressure - perfect. The buffet breakfast was outstanding,with a
restaurant staff always smiling and helpful, and good looking!
The broad beach is tree lined, so lots of shade, and plenty of
sun loungers. The tide goes out a long way, but there was always
enough water when we needed it. The Spa was a haven of peace with treatments reasonably priced if you took advantage of the various promotions. Five minutes walk into the village with
lots of restaurants and bars , some with good live music.
What more could you want?

needs renovation

by TripAdvisor Member josieWashingtonDc

I can't believe the hotel was renovated in 2004. It is simply not true.

The rooms need to be redone completely: cracks in the walls, paint peeling off, bathroom is dated and looks dirty.
The electrical installations were a nightmare.

The cleaning people did not do a very good job, the sheets were not changed a single time while we were there for 8 nights, and 6 nights in the same room.

We had to ask for another room, since the first one given to us smelt of mold, and the bathroom smelt of sewers. It was on the ground floor, small and very dark.

The second one was larger and did not smell of mold, but the bathroom smelt though.

The staff was fantastic, very friendly and helpful. The pools were large and clean, the restaurant was ok.

The grounds and the buildings (from the outside) look great.

I would not go back there before they renovate.

Could have been better at the Mecure Sanur

by TripAdvisor Member dbfun

The mecure needs another make over for it to be a truly good value four star resort. My wife and I had a 6 night stay at the Mecure in the second week of June 2008. We were allocated a Deluxe room that is the closestr block of rooms to the reception area. Overall our impression was that this is a reasonable 3 star property that although refurbished in 2004 still looks and feels like a much older style of resort - taht it was and still is.
On first look our deluxe room at $65 a night looked to be very good value. The bed was huge, the room quiet large and had all that was needed. A plus was the fridge was empty - not full of way over priced drink - for us to stock up from the local stores.

The rseort buildings and gardens are well maintained for their age but it look out of date and old. Especially the recreation area. Similarly with the pools. They are smallish, well kept and clean but very old fashioned. Like many resorts the Mecure does nothing to stop people from claiming the best sun lounges eraly in the morning but do not actually use them until to later in the day. This is very annoying when the hotel was full.

The Mecure is at the very southern and quiet end of the Sanur beach area. Its beach is quiet nice - at high tide - with plenty of sun longes and not over run by beach sellers. There are two local restuarants serving average but ok local fare and westyern dishes nearby. The first group of better restaurants are a short 400 m walk to the street out side the putri santrian or a fifteen minute walk (or a $1.50 taxi ride) to those around Massimo's in central Sanur.

The positives
It is quiet cheap. The resort has a nice beach and grounds are ok. The rooms are a good size. The staff were polite and helpful.

The negatives
Like many who have complained re strange sewer like smell from the shower this happened to us after our third night. It really does smell foul! The room was cleaned ok but the bathroom was not cleaned to the standard we would expect. The restaurant was very ordinary! The buffet is substandard and too expensive for what you get. The food was not warmed / heated satisfactorily!! It just looks old fashioned!

Some tips re restaurants.
Massimo's Italian Restaurant is a very very good value restuarant. If you are there when they have their Buffet try it out. At RP70 000 its a bargain!! Over 30 different items to select - the porchetta was superb. We really liked this restaurant, a fantastic staff, great host in Massimo who loves his restaurant and food. Can not recommend it more highly for very very tasty like mama cooked Italian food. Batu Jimbaran cafe (excellent and very popular food) , Caramels, Cat and Fiddle Pub, and the Mezzanine are also worth trying out. Donald's is also another very good value restaurant that we enjoyed.

Overall we were disappointed in the Mecure Sanur, even though it is not expensive it needs to lift its game! The restaurant was very unimpressive! We would not stay there again - the Puri santrian looked to be a better option!

poor service

by TripAdvisor Member Bobororo

Made my reservation one month in advance (for two rooms). I requested airport pickup after giving my flight details, nobody showed up. Check in, and I am asked to wait for 1.5 hours so to allow guests to leave (I had already assigned room numbers). Looked at both rooms and the occupying guests after 2hr of my check in had no intentions of leaving. I complain (already having my credit card debited about USD 400) and nothing seems to happen. I am offered an alternative room (right besides the dining hall, location not quite as good as the original room they assigned me to) and another one that "was not ready yet". I originally requested connecting rooms. Obviously, they were overbooked (or else cared little for an arriving guest who spend quite a bit of money just to get to Bali in the first place).

In the meantime we went to the restaurant for a snack. My hamburguer arrives ice cold at the table. Fair meal. When I asked for the bill, the lady tells me to get it myself at the counter. I refuse and have it delivered to my table (is this a McDonald's or what?). While waiting, another waitress cleans up the table and scrapes the food of the other plates into mine, right in front of my face. I complain but little reaction. It appears that either customers dont complain for what appears a rather mediocre service or else they dont give a thing. This experience at the restaurant cost me USD 70 for what i consider a rather mediocre snack lunch in terms of quality.

I cancelled both rooms, got my credit card credited, and then jumped into a taxi to start wandering through south Bali so to look for another hotel. What a great way to start your vacation. Avoid this place.

great for water sports

by TripAdvisor Member 787Finglas

We stayed in July. Location is great, right next to the beach and only a few minutes walk to Sanur's main street.
Resort is ok, rooms look tired and need refurbishing. As per other reviews there is definitely something up with their sewage treatment and the smell can be foul at times.
Staff were pleasant but forgetful. Every day we seemed to have to ask for towels or a bath mat that they had forgotten to restock. Speaking of towels - and its such a small thing to pick on but - in all my years of staying at hotels I have never seen such an awful selection of bath towels. Threadbare would be kind!
We liked Sanur, would spend time there compared to the other side if given the choice again.
The beach is not great for swimming but excellent for various water sports, especially kite surfing
So to sum up the Sanur Mercure is fine for a few days by the beach to get out on the water. Just don't expect anything more than 3 star type accommodation

Comments