P.O. Box 165, Nyuhkuning, Ubud, 80571, Indonesia

Otel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

A Secret Hideaway

While I stayed in Ubud, I found a place 5 minutes south, by foot from the Monkey Jungle.
    It's great for you Zen seekers out there, like myself. Just far enough, from the constant asking; if you need transportation and if you want to buy this or that.

Every morning while I had my breakfast on the terrace of my second floor room, I would see in the distance, across the fields, a two storey residence with a large balcony and bed.
    Finally, after a week, I could not resist my curiosity and decided to check it out.

So I walked over on the main road and found an almost unnoticeable, dirt road, of which
    I entered and walked a bit to encounter the door of this hidden haven of which, I was not certain if it was a private residency or some sort of hotel.

I was first shown the upstairs room that I frequently viewed at breakfast time.

Talking about clean and great comfort! The bathroom was huge and with a wonderful view. The bedroom had ample space, leading to the large; wrap around terrace where another bed was located, a lounge area, and a dining table to enjoy your meals while the birdies sing.

As I walked down the stairs to check out the room below that also goes for $65 a night, you pass a kitchen

With renting both rooms, this makes it a great 'villa' so to say, to rent for a family who desires two separate rooms and the day bed could be used for a child.

The room downstairs was comfortable, but for the same price, I think the one upstairs is a better choice.

The friendly staff informed me that there were two additional rooms available, very much to my surprise. So we crossed the mini-field of the property and walked up some stairs.

Unique Quality: Wow! I thought the other room had a great bathroom, but this room had an even bigger space to enjoy while soaking in the bathtub!
    The room was very comfortable, and had a great terrace too!
    Price: $75 a night.

So, I went on to visit the room downstairs. Again! Talk about bathrooms, this one even gets better! The bathtub is located inside, but then you have the option to take a shower in the garden area while the fountain flows! A true space to worship your inner-Goddess!

The room was comfortable, has a terrace with a great view, and the price $75 a night.

The whole property is VERY well kept, great garden, beautiful views, very private, comfortable, and probably would be a lot more expensive if it were part of a hotel.

I guess you could say that this is a sort of a 'villa' style place to stay. It would be great for a family traveling together to take over the whole property just for themselves, while each couple having there own breathing space.

I rather ride a bicycle into the rice fields than just visit the busy streets of the center of Ubud, and this location is a great starting point. There are a few restaurants located walking distance from the property, such as Laka Leke., a yoga center down the street, a couple of little supplies store, and a few Balinese craft shops.

This place made me dream!!

Directions: Behind Alam Jiwa

You can also call the Alam Jiwa hotel behind the property to reserve:

Tel./Fax. 62-361-974629
    E-mail: alambali@indosat.net.id

More about Alam Shanti

Enchanting Alam Shanti

by TripAdvisor Member MDTraveller1

Fabulous stay at Alam Shanti--our room Nermada had a large, beautiful walled in garden, its own small temple with offerings and incense puja placed by the staff twice a day, a huge roofed veranda with sofa and artwork, large bedroom, dressing room, bathroom and walled shower with 12-15 foot ceilings and gurgling statues in the wall behind, a pleasant staff, a refreshing infinity pool looking into jungle and distance rice fields. The walk into town through the monkey forest was a fun plus. The staff provided car drop-off and pickups whenever called, which is very helpful in the sprawled out village of Ubud. They have a fairly new spa my wife enjoyed. The breakfasts were great with banana pancakes and fresh juices. I would say all this for $95 a night is one of the hotel bargains of the world, particularly since the whole atmosphere is graceful, aesthetic, peaceful Bali at its best.

Our stay at the Alam Shanti

by TripAdvisor Member VernaCapeTown

We stayed here in May 2007 in the Shindu Room. Everything that has been written is true. It has beautfiul gardens, gorgeous bathroom, wow what a bath. Nice Staff. Free shuttle. We chose this hotel because of the reviews on this website. But..........there are a few things that you must be aware of before you stay here. Ubud is lush gorgeous and green but its an hour away from the beach. It rains alot because of the location. When you stay at Alam Shanti you only have a room, no room service, no entertainment area in hotel, no bar, no t.v.. Its very quiet and the perfect place to read a book. There are loads of mosquitoes but they do provide coils. The bed is huge but if you have back problems beware, it is a sponge matress. The bed bugs are relentless. But some bug cream sorts that out. The bedding is grey along with the towels, which are hand towels. But if this doesn't bother you then great. The pool is wonderful and the famous tea you get every afternoon is a great touch but you not getting high tea here, its black tea with a piece of sponge cake, or carrot cake, just average but nice and enjoyable. Laka Leke is average and convenient. Rather go into Ubud with the free shuttle and read up on the good restaurant in the village. Now Alam Shanti/Alam Indah do offer tours. The gentleman that took us Ketut picked us up from the airport and spoke so much to us, he sounded great. We requested him at reception and off we went on our tour the next day. It was just terrible. Very expensive, he didn't offer any information, we were physically pulled and grabbed on tour by people selling sarongs at the temples. We were taken to see batiks and told that we had to buy one to enter the temples, but you can just get them outside the temple for a donation. Ketut only wanted us to go to places where he could earn his commision. He refused to take us to the places we were keen to see. When you book a tour make sure your guide comes with you, make sure you are having lunch at a respectable place. Make sure you know exactly where you want to go. Hang onto your watches, money and cameras at any touristy place. Otherwise, Alam Shanti was nice and if you like rustic accommodation and affordable accommodation i would stay here.

Alam Shanti- Tiny Paradise in Ubud

by TripAdvisor Member seoulsister

alam shanti in ubud: a little slice of paradise as everyone says. the atmosphere
is serene, staff is gracious and attentive, the grounds are lovingly kept. a
wonderful attraction is the small pool, with infinity edge into terraced lily
ponds and a little gorge. very beautiful and sublime -- you practically have it
to yourself as alam shanti only has 6 or 8 rooms. our room was saraswati, $50
plus tax, breakfast incl., booked directly through the hotel. it's the lowest
priced room, but quite large, with a very very spacious veranda (which we didn't
have much time to hang out in but appreciated for our breakfasts there; we also
ate once by the pool). whatever grade of room you choose, opt for the upper
floor, more privacy, and usually a larger balcony. the bathroom is also very
large, with huge sunken marble bath with handheld shower. i can see why they
have such a loyal clientele, the place has a wonderful vibe to it. a few
caveats: we had a blackout for a couple minutes the night we checked in
(flashlight and candles supplied), no hot water when the gas ran out (replaced
immediately when we informed staff). as mentioned in other posts, the water
pressure is quite low and you'll never get a full-on shower there. a couple
caveats: the roosters crow at 4-5am so that'll be your wake-up call, and for
that reason my husband will never stay there again, he vows (we'll see about
that :) and for me the bed was large but too soft as it was made of foam.
breakfasts are ordered night before, nicely made with freshly-baked bread and
excellent yogurt, etc. and delivered to your room veranda or pool or wherever
you'd like. the overall value is excellent, the alam shanti a safe and lovely
base for you to explore ubud and north or east bali.

A delightful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TamaraTasmania

I spent 2 weeks at the Alam Shanti in June/July on my 6th trip to Bali. Although I stayed in one of the standard rooms, Saraswati, it was clean, comfortable, spacious, and had everything I needed. Water pressure was dodgy in the shower, but this is fairly common, and probably worse in upstairs rooms. The gardens are beautiful, and it's worth booking an upstairs room so you can lie on the day bed and look over the trees and flowers to Mt Agung. The staff are caring and considerate and do everything they can to make your stay a pleasant one. The real bonus is to have a car 'on call' for whenever you want to go in to Ubud, or be picked up after shopping or eating in town. It's an easy walk to Ubud beside the Monkey Forest, but when you reach Monkey Forest Road it's a bit of a slog and I'd recommend going via Jalan Hanoman. There's no restaurant at Alam Shanti but you can order food to be delivered from restaurants, and there is always the car to drop you and pick you up from any restaurant in Ubud. After six trips to Bali, and staying in a wide range of accommodation, I feel that Alam Shanti combines the best elements of a Bali experience - natural beauty, gentle people and a serene atmosphere. And there's the lovely pool to enjoy if the tropical heat is too much!

Peace , charm and comfort ... bliss !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Freoman

We have just returned from our trip to Bali ... our 12th visit over a twenty year period and were charmed by Alam Shanti.
We had four nights in the ' Shindu ' Room which is on the ground floor with a beautiful expansive verrandah complete with marble top dining table and relaxing day bed.
Many travellers have paid tribute to Alam Shanti and we would like to add to that praise.
A wonderful location, stunning gardens and just far enough out of Ubud to give you a sense of peace and seclusion.
I think what completed the holiday for us was that the hotel were so good at taking us into Ubud to eat or shop and bring us back when we rang them up to 10.30pm at night with no hestitation at all... this was for no charge at all.
Added to this the breakfast served on our verandah was fresh and plenty of it !!!
The owners of Alam Shanti also have a lovely restaurant which is not part of the hotel about a five min walk away ... dont miss it... we discoverd it on the last night and wish we had found it earlier as the setting is beautiful and the food very reasonably priced.
Dont miss this special gem ... you wont regret it !!!

Perfect Stay

by TripAdvisor Member PThomasChen

My wife and I just came back from our almost perfect vacation in Bali. Of course, our stays in Alam Shanti are definitely the highlights -- 5-star hotel service and villa-like personal pampering at the price less than $90 per night. We stayed in Dewi room which is on the second floor, overlooking the garden and rice field. Worth mentioning the complimentary shuttle service to downtown Ubud, it is almost like a private service and makes our get-around in Ubud very easily.

Absolutely Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member makichan

I had a wonderful time at Alam Shanti In Bali. The room was large enough with Balinese style furniture, the view was excellent and also we could order a meal from near restaurant for such a low price!

Also breakfast choice was great and good one. Afternoon tea with home made cake was good. Not far from monkey forest and there was complimentary car to the town. The staff are very helpful and we are happy to recommend this hotel.

A perferct place for relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member IWIJAYA

Because our trip were planned quite spontaneous, we booked a room in Alam Shanti in a very last minute. But luckily, they still had one room available for one, but only for 1 night.. and we had to move to Alam Indah & Alam Jiwa for the next 2 days. But we never regret it at all. We're very happy to see the huge room with a canopy bed, and the bathroom is huge.. We stayed in Laksmi room. The breakfast was perfect!! You can have it deliver to your veranda. My husband love the Bubur Kuning and Black Rice menu, but need to let them know one day in advance.
I really recommend this hotel!!

Felt like the real deal

by TripAdvisor Member lucya82

My husband and i stayed at the Alam Shanti for 2 nights. Due to their
popularity, we had to stay in 2 different rooms. On our first night we stayed in the Laksmi Room ($50) and on our second night we stayed in the Gangga Room ($125). And yes, there is a huge difference between the two rooms insofar as space, views and furnishings.

The Laksmi is one of the downstairs rooms. It is definately good value. It is modest, but very clean and comfortable. A good size too:
with a double bed and large single bed and great size bathroom. The only minor things would be a lick of paint to freshen it up, and a proper shower, rather than the hand held nozzel. On the plus side, they have a multi-country adaptor, which was very useful for recharging phones and cameras, and using my own hairdryer. You also get quite a bit of noise in this room from the wildlife outside (Cicada's and frogs at night, and roosters in the early hours of the morning).

The Gangga room is one of the upstairs rooms. It's nothing short of gorgeous. Its huge, at least double the size of the Laksmi and superbly decorated in authentic Balinese furnishings. There is one queen size bed and a double bed inside, as well as a lovely day bed on the huge balcony. The carving detail in the wood inside and the stone outside is tremendous and the view over the rice paddy fields is just stunning. The bathroom is also wonderful and open air too. There are two (normal) showers, one at each end, as well as a lovely bathtub. The way it has been done, you can have a shower overlooking the rice paddy fields as the wall comes up to your chest. The tiles and natural stone are lovely and far outshine the more boring and worn tiles of the Laksmi bathroom. Unlike the Laksmi, there is also a fridge and full tea and coffee making facilities. The Gangga is also right next to the lovely swimming pool. There is very little noise from this room. We heard no roosters and the frogs/cicadas seemed in the distance.

The location of the Alam Shanti is good, depending on what you're looking for. Its quite rural and secluded. During the daytime its a really lovely walk through the monkey forest to the vibrant Monkey Forest Road, and from there quite a long uphill walk of about 20 minutes to the town centre. However, as others have said, they do provide a free shuttle to and from the town centre of Ubud. That service finishes at 10.30pm. At night it's almost impossible to walk to the hotel from town, although cheap transport is readily available.

The beakfasts were nice and had quite healthy options too. Although we did get off milk one morning which was pretty disgusting. The service was pretty good. The male staff certainly seemed alot more friendly than the female staff. There was a slight air of ego and preteniousness given off by a couple of the women who sat behind the front desk and their ever polished "tripadvisor.com 2006" award. But all in all they were fine.

Would certainly consider staying again.

From Jakarta to Bali

by CJD1969

I'll be flying from Jakarta to Bali next month for a short vacation. Any suggestions on an airline and hotel in Bali?

by PL&L

Garuda Air

Covering a wide price range-
Komaneka
Ketut's Place
Artini 2 Cottages

by BesarRahasia

As previously said Garuda is probably the best and most reliable, there is also Batavia air, who in my opinion are just as reliable, and a little cheaper, although they don't have as many scheduled departure time as Garuda. There are other airlines, but to be honest most of them arn't really reliable, with cancellations/delays on a daily basis, the prices arn't over much cheaper than the other two.

As for hotel reccommendations, depends on your budget and requirements/specification, we have prices ranging from 10$US per night up to 2000$us per night.

by xuessium

and there is always budget airline Indonesian Air Asia: http://www.airasia.com

by pPamela

Last year I flew LionAir and enjoyed my flight and the price was very very reasonable.
AirAsia have very reasonably priced flights as well.
Garuda is the main airline, but prices are much more expensive than the other airlines. I flew Garuda a few times as well when I wanted to go to Makassar and the other airlines did not fly at the times I wanted to go. Garuda is good for this.
And I also flew from Medan to Jakarta- a last minute decision and Garuda were the only airline flying at the time I wanted to go. I paid 1.2 million for a one way flight which was more than double the price what other airlines were charging, but the convienence of getting that immediate flight was worth the price.
Pamela.

From Jakarta to Bali

by skyb88

There are some flight from Jakarta to Denpasar (Bali) :
Garuda, Sriwijaya, Lionair, Bataviaair, Mandala
There are plenty hotels in Bali
It's depend on where do you want to stay & budget

Have a nice vacation,
Rini

by CJD1969

Thanks for the message. The cost really doesn't matter, I like to have a good time and party a little by the beach.

Chuck