Banjar Tangkup, Desa Kedisan Tegalalang, Ubud, 80361, Indonesia
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Ubud

Jalan Hanoman, 31-07-2010Jalan Hanoman, 31-07-2010

My mom, Dr. Wayan and me after my treatment.My mom, Dr. Wayan and me after my treatment.

Bathtub in double roomBathtub in double room

ice cappuccinoice cappuccino

Travel Tips for Ubud

Legong: most graceful of Bali dances

by Tijavi

Legong is the most graceful form of Balinese dances. Usually performed by teenage girls, the dance depicts stories from local folklore. The girls are dressed in colorful costumes, accessorized with intricate headdress. With the trademark numbered, jerky movements of Balinese dances, they dance to the music of live gamelan ensemble.

More often than not, dance performances in Ubud are a collective village undertaking. It's amazing to see almost the entire village become so much involved in staging these dances.

This Woman is a Saint!

by SFHulaGIrl about Sunari Tailor

This is the tailor recommended by the hotel staff at Artini 2 Cottages. Her shop is located about 200 meters down from Artini 2 on the same side of Hanoman Street.

Made asked me what I had in mind. I wanted two sundresses. She showed me a few styles of dresses that she had already made. I asked if I could draw something up, which was fine with her. I drew two fairly simple sundresses, I picked out the fabric & she measured me. This was a Monday morning; she told me that they would be done on Thursday. She said that normally they might be done earlier, but that her mother had been sick. When I went to see her on Thursday, one dress was done, except for the hemming. She was still putting the other dress together. The reason she was late was because her mother had passed away on Tuesday!! Yet she kept apologizing to ME!! I told her that I completely understood & would still be in town until Saturday morning. However, the dresses were both finished on Friday morning. Balinese people amaze me. Even with a personal tragedy, she was concerned about a promise that she had made to me. Made makes mens' & womens' clothing; pants, dresses, blouses, etc. She has material available, but you could also bring your own. My dresses cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25-$30 apiece, including fabric. You will be asked to provide a deposit before she begins your work.

Adi Asri

by SFHulaGIrl about Adi Asri

This somewhat large restaurant seemed to be frequented by large groups of tourists. Service was okay; food was mediocre. I had a Coke (Rp. 7750), a small bottled water (Rp. 6750) & spaghetti carbonara (Rp. 59,750). The 15% tax & service came to Rp. 11,137.

Stroll around the town

by Ramonq

Ubud is suppose to be the cultural capital of Bali. It's got lots of trendy shops and restaurants that cater to the arty set. Here you can window shop for Balinese artwork. The town has a village atmosphere with all the modern trappings.

Ubud Palace

by SFHulaGIrl

Ubud Palace is one of the main places to see traditionial Balinese dances performed on a nightly basis. Most performances begin at 7:30 p.m. & last a few hours. Get there early for the best seats. Drinks & Autan (Balinese bug repellant) are sold right there! Admission apparently used to be Rp. 50,000, but now it's Rp. 80,000. In addition to buying tickets at the entrance, you may also buy them from various people selling them as you walk towards Ubud Palace; it's the same price.

I watched a legong & a barong dance performance here, & was enthralled.

Comments