Jl. Medang Kamulan No.2, Central Java,, Borobudur, 56553, Indonesia

Satisfaction Average

More about Borobudur

tired but happy!tired but happy!

with students from nearby highschoolwith students from nearby highschool

Jon and NinaJon and Nina

nth attempt ... more coming!nth attempt ... more coming!

pangandaran to borobudur

by amy.

Can anyone tell me how i could go about getting from pangandaran to borobudur? Thanks.

by theo1006

If you don't have your own or rented wheels, the only possibility is the bus.
Possible routes are:
Pangandaran - Cilacap - Yogyakarta (change of bus at Cilacap)
Pangandaran - Wangon - Yogyakarta (same at Wangon, a crossing point)
Pangandaran - Purwokerto - Yogyakarta (change at Purwokerto)

If possible, try to get a PATAS bus, which has AC, reserved seats and does not stop everywhere. The price is double an economy bus, but still cheap. However, I doubt whether there are PATAS buses leaving from Pangandaran.

That's all I can say, never having traveled this route by bus. You best inquire at a tourist information office or travel agent in Pangandaran, or your hotel may know.

Theo

by amy.

okay, thank you for you help :)

by moltov35

agree with theo
we dont have any direct transport from pangandaran to borobudur.
usually from pangandaran to yogyakarta, the option alredy theo wrote.
i think we have minivan from pangandaran to yogyakarta directly.
depart from pangandaran in the morning. just check travel agency in
pangandaran.

by sastropaijo

if you will visit to Yogyakarta,you can call reliable driver in Yogyakarta.
his name is Noor,E-mail address noorjingga@gmail.com.
or you can visit his Blog at http://borobudurtourdrivers.blogspot.com/

by amy.

ok thank you both for your help :)

Travel Tips for Borobudur

Brobodur temples

by marimar_72

The Borobudur Temple is considered as one of the seven wonders of the world. This temple is located at Borobudur District, South of Magelang, Central Java. I hardly can remember any thing as I was 2 years old when I have visited this place,I have couple of pictures of myslef ,I might add these pictures later on:D

Read up before you go go!

by runwitme

I would recommend two books:

1) Borobudur - The Golden Tales of Buddhas (See picture). Nice, colourful pictures of the bas-reliefs from the monument. The book is available in Kuala Lumpur, so I had the chance to read it before the trip. I am glad that I did because it gave me a deeper understanding and allowed me to appreciate the monument more when I was there.

I have seen this book in a bookshop in Malioboro Mall, Yogyakarta (around Rp200,000). It is also being sold by the street peddlers at Borobudur, at a highly marked up price.

2) Chandi Borobudur - A Monument of Mankind by Dr. Soekmono. Can be very technical but gives a very comprehensive guide to Borobudur. It can be downloaded from the net. FREE!

Definition of Borobudur

by hez28

Borobudur is a combination of 2 words: BARA and BUDUR. Bara is actually derived from a Sanskrit word VIHARA which means a complex of temples, monastery or dormitory. While BUDUR is derived from the Balinese BIDUHUR, which means high.

Therefore Borobudur means a temple high on top of a hill.

Take a guide for the Temple tour

by bkarjee

I was asked at the entrance if I would like to have a guide. I certainly needed one, as I wanted to have as much information on this temple as possible. The guide that was allocated to me was called Sali and I had to pay IDR 40 K for his service. For next one hour, Sali was to enlighten me on the history of Borobudur temples and I had kept my pen, paper and the cameras ready. Sali was one of the several original inhabitants of Borobudur and his family was displaced when the Indonesian Govt decided to come up with a park around the temple complex. The family was not amply compensated for the displacement, but many adults were given training by the Govt to become guides and earn livelihood. Good idea I believe. Sali explained to me in details about the temple, the significance of its peculiar structure, its bas reliefs and the stories related to it and the various layers of the temple and also about enlightenment or Nirwana, as you move upwards to the top of the temple.

further reading books about borobudur

by ukirsari

there are many books about borobudur can be used as preferences. from culture, architect, legend, religious articles and so on as topics. all of them are always interesting and remain a mysterious feeling.
here several of further readings about bhumisabharabuddhara:
- borobudur by daoed joesoef [ex-minister of culture and education of the republic of indonesia], 2004
- ageless borobudur by aj bernet kempers, 1976