Danau Toba Hotels

Our Members Say

• lumbanraja profile photo lumbanraja

Tuk Tuk Tibmul: Most romantic Hotel resort at Lake Toba

Tuk Tuk Timbul's accommodation is basic and to be seen in the budget range. But if you're looking for a quiet place and don't mind that Tuk Tuk "Town" is a 20 minutes walk away, it's one of the best places to relax. Nobody is trying to sell you anything, no noisy boat traffic and the road is far away as well.
Ok, the bungalows could be better maintained, but however, since all the huts are built at the shoreline of a small peninsula, everybody has the perfect lake view on his balkony...
It's run by a dutch woman called Nanda, who got married into the owner's family long time ago.
The food is nice, good backpacker's standard with home made bread and yoghurt. If it is the right season, great Toba Lobster BBQ...

Only free standing bungalows
Great lake view
Cheap > 10$
Free internet usage (No WiFi)
Great swimming

• Related to: Budget Travel, Eco-Tourism, Backpacking
  • Written April 4, 2013
Tip Photo

• funcheong profile photo funcheong
  • Reviews: 5

Hotel Carolina: Nice location to stay, near to lake

We were a bit shocked when we see there's no air-cond nor fan. I think we had a pretty good sleep since it's breezy and luckily no mosquitoes problem.

The hot water are not adjustable and too hot to bath in. We had to mix the hot and cold water in a bucket first before showering. We also found out from the locals that all the water sources are from the lake.

Don't bother taking your hair-dryer as you can't use it here. The whole island is run on generator.

There's a barbeque-pit too for some of the rooms.
Free-wifi at the restaurant area.

We took the Deluxe Room at 145.00 IDR per night. The extra bed we asked for is actually just an extra mattress on the floor, with additional charges.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 3, 2011

• Chezal profile photo Chezal
  • Reviews: 8

Samosir Cottages: Beautiful Cottages on Lake Toba

There are rooms available for the smallest budget for lone travellers to family rooms. All the rooms have wonderful lake views right on your door step.

They have their own bar and games / video room which serve nice food. You'll find yourself chatting with people from many different walks of life.

You also have the opportunity to watch traditional Batak dancing and music in the comfort of the hotel. Behave you will be made to join in but it's all good fun :)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Adventure Travel
  • Written August 4, 2010
Tip Photo

• apieapie profile photo apieapie

Barbara guest house: Great accomodation on Samosir Island

When i arrived on Lake Toba i stayed one night in tuk tuk.
I liked the hostel but for me in tuk tuk there were to many tourist.
When i travel i like to communicate with the local people so i decided to look for something outside tuk tuk.
I found the Barbara guest house not far away from tuk tuk
Nice clean rooms, great location at the lake, even a tiny beach and a very nice view of Lake toba.
They also have some facilities for kids should you travel with them.
I had a very good time with Lulu who worked there, she was so friendly and helpfull.
Because i rented a motorbike everyday to explore Samosir it was also easy to get some diner outside the Hotel.
So if you don't want to stay in another tourist enclave i highly recommend Barbara guest house

Nice location, great view of Lake Toba.
Very nice People.

• Related to: Singles, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written January 23, 2010

• birdy1918 profile photo birdy1918
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

romlans: romlans guesthouse danau toba

great accommodation , the best food for great prices , friendly staff and a great view- well worth taking a look - batik houses with hot water from 40,000 and rooms from 75,000. hard to find this place , try getting left off from ferry on way over to island !!

great views , very clean.

• Related to: Backpacking, Water Sports, Budget Travel
  • Written November 16, 2009

• kokoryko profile photo kokoryko
  • Reviews: 1779

Hotel Niagara: A bit a gloomy hotel

My Indonesian friends made reservations for me, and made what they thought was the best, so, I am not angry I stayed at Hotel Niagara. But I have some regrets, after discovering other places. . . . Well, I really prefer to find my hotels by chance, not planning, but well, it’s done!
Hotel Niagara is a huge concrete block, tarnished a bit with Batak style.
To make short: the room are correct, the breakfast is nice, the staff is caring: well, all is nice, just. . . . yes. . . impersonal, you are anonymous there, it is a tourist caring factory, everything is OK, but there is no real stuff!
One thing was nice during my stay there: huge big gardens, you can walk for kilometres, see trees, fields, have a great view over the lake; you can have long walks and look at the flowers and even watch some shy birds. I can recommend this hotel for families and people looking for comfort, and liking quietude (it is far from the city centre), but if you look for something with character, look elsewhere.
I paid 350.000 Rp per night for 5 nights which had been reserved.

• Related to: Arts and Culture
  • Written June 11, 2009

Background: Lake Toba. .

• kokoryko profile photo kokoryko
  • Reviews: 1779

Thyesza: The flower of Samosir

The Flower of Samosir; I write this hotel tip, despite I did not stay there, but I know where I will stay next time if I happen to come back to Danau Toba. After my lunch, Anna showed me around and showed me the rooms of the guesthouse; I took one picture, but you can see more on facebook (!! Yes this guest house has a face!!!, see the weblink).
I cannot write about staff, service, etc, the rooms look nice, have bathrooms toilets, etc. . . and have a view over the lake, all this for less than 90.000 Rp (less than 9 US$) per night! And this is the “superior room! There are shared rooms for 15.000 Rp per person: more budget is not possible!
I regretted I had already a hotel room in Parapat where I had to come back. . . . This place looks wonderful, is a guest house, not an impersonal hotel like you may find in Tuktuk, or other places of Samosir. The pictures show a view from a room I visited and the room I visited (but did not sleep there).

Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10937&id=19126593960

• Related to: Arts and Culture
  • Written June 11, 2009

View from a room

• Matahari09 profile photo Matahari09

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Samosir Cottages, Lake Toba: WARNING, WARNING,WARNING

We are working in Indonesia, can speak passable Indonesian, and travel a lot in the country, so we were shocked to be taken for a ride by Samosir Cottages. After (too late unfortunately,) reading other reports on the hotel it seems they have a habit of not providing what you pay for.

We booked the Deluxe room through their website and had confirmation via phone. Upon arrival, the room they checked us into was spartan, had a broken shower, missing furniture and a view of the neighboring broken-down boat shed, and not the sweeping views of the lake as stated on their web site. It looked like a poor version of their cheaper 'Comfort Room'. After a very long trip to get there we were tired so we didn't complain but asked if there was a room with a better view - of course the standard "we're full, but maybe tomorrow" was the response.

That evening, despite the room being advertised as a luxurious place to 'sleep', we were kept awake until 5a.m. by a very noisy party in the upstairs room. A party is fair enough - but not until 5 a.m. in a place that's promoted as a natural retreat. We called the front desk to complain about the noise at 1:30 a.m. but nothing was done despite assurances things would be fixed. We called again at 3a.m. & 4a.m. and they wouldn't even answer our calls! Needless to say after a long trip when all we wanted was a good night's sleep so we could get up the next day refreshed and able to enjoy the lake, being kept awake in a cheap room we were paying more than necessary for, and being ignored by the staff, was not helping us have a relaxing holiday.

The included breakfast the next morning turned out to be nasi goreng only. After being told there's nothing anyone can do to help us with the room we finally got to speak to the manager who told us there was nothing he can do about rowdy guests. What about the rest of the guests who want to use their room for it's main purpose at 3 a.m. namely sleeping, and not staring at the ceiling listening to incessant noise all night?

In the end we did get a refund for the night we didn't stay there but still had to pay the higher price for the crap room after the manager decided to debate what 'Deluxe Room' really means (his view clearly differs to the hotel's web site). At this stage we'd traveled a long way, had no sleep, been ripped-off and argued all day with various staff members - this was not good for what was supposed to be a restful weekend away.

We moved to another hotel that was much cheaper, with better rooms, better lake views, a decent restaurant and a helpful and friendly staff. We could enjoy the rest of our stay but want people to know about the scam at Samosir Cottages and recommend that they stay at one of the much better value places along the beautiful lake. Forget about the money side, as it's not that much, but with all the lying and noise Samosir Cottages just isn't worth the hassle and, most importantly, the wasted time when you should be enjoying the lake.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 21, 2009

• richmonder63 profile photo richmonder63
  • Reviews: 22

Liberta Homestay: Batak Style Houses

It is a bit more expensive than most places, but there are few places where can you stay in a Batak house. The outside looks traditional, but the inside is nice and somewhat modern. There is a common room with a television and movies. Also, a small lakeside area for swimming.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Architecture
  • Written January 18, 2008

• richmonder63 profile photo richmonder63
  • Reviews: 22

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bagus Bay: Youth Oriented Dive

Bagus Bay has a many activities(pool, papers, water slide) . Most of the people are very young and the place is very noisy at night with the sound of motor bikes.

There were two turkeys in pen at the hotel. Why?

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 18, 2008

• davepearce profile photo davepearce
  • Reviews: 3

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

carolina: no lie in at Carolina

Great location, good value rooms and well recommended previously.
But be warned, it is a biggish, family hotel. The kids are running round screaming by 6am. You have no chance of a lie in at the Carolina!

• Related to: Seniors
  • Written March 14, 2007

• egonwegh profile photo egonwegh
  • Reviews: 1210

Carolina Hotel: Carolina Hotel

We spent three nights at the Carolina Hotel. Excellent breakfast that includes lots of fresh fruit. Also bike rental, laundry service and swimming in the lake. Terrace with view on the lake (great sunrise!) We slept in apartments built in traditional Batak style, situated close to the water.

Great view!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written June 23, 2006

Apartment, Carolina Hotel, Lake Toba

• jungles profile photo jungles
  • Reviews: 327

Bagus Bay: Bagus Bay

Bagus Bay is popular amongst the backpacker crowd, and with good reason. The bungalows are all built in the style of the traditional Batak house, with steps that lead up to a tiny door you have to stoop to enter, and beds in lofts on different levels. These houses are great fun to scramble around in, even more so after a plate of 'special' mushroom omelette :) Just try not to bump your head on the uneven ceiling.

The one complaint I have about Bagus Bay is the kitchen service. Nick ordered a lasagna, which also came with side dishes like salad and french fries. They brought the side dishes but not the lasagna. As the waitress cleared away the plates I reminded her about the lasagna, and she nodded in agreement. After we waited for an hour, I finally walked into the kitchen to enquire once more about the lasagna. The reply was, 'You want another lasagna?' I started yelling in exasperation, and once they understood they started laughing at me. Eventually, Nick got his lasagna.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Arts and Culture
  • Written April 20, 2006

• arnonieuw profile photo arnonieuw

Bagus bay: Bagus bay

I stayed in this friendly, cheap and well run for about a week. Just for relaxing and as a base for exploring the Toba area.

Typical Batak houses serve as hotel rooms. Just rent one with up to five people.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 10, 2005
Tip Photo

• schlumpf profile photo schlumpf
  • Reviews: 384

Carolina Hotel: Carolina Hotel, simply the BEST

Carolina Hotel is simply the best place I saw in Samosir island, and where I choose to overnight for some says.

The hotel has beautifull cleaned and big rooms, the service is simply on high level, the weitres are so nice and sweet, and you will never have a problem.

When you would need something, the crew will definyely find out a solution for you!

The building has the tipical Batak house stile, pretty cool, and moreover few of them (not all, few) has a Lake front view (mine yes, for sure!)

With all those positive aspect, the price is acceptable, US8-10 for a double room with a absolutely cleaned bathroom plus shower.

You can also hire a motorbike here (altough if you get out it costs less).

The pic showes the view of the sunset (ok, beginning of the sunset) from my room...

- cleaned and big rooms
- helpfull staff
- beautifull position
- “little harbor”
- good restaurant
- motorbikes and bikes on hire
- front lake view rooms

• Written December 12, 2004
Tip Photo

View from my room at the hotel

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful