Quality Hotel Pekanbaru

Jalan Riau Pekanbaru, Pekanbaru, 28192, Indonesia

More about Pekanbaru

mi'smi's

me and Sella, the animal kidme and Sella, the animal kid

Travel Tips for Pekanbaru

Pekanbaru, the businesscentre

by kilat

"a traditional market"

Well, I couldn't find a touristic attraction, but the people in Pekanbaru did find one: we were the attraction! Not used to western tourists, so everybody looked at us as if we were monkeys in the zoo. It was funny, they tried to sell us vegatables and other stuff what we really did not need as a tourist. But I think they only tried to make contact, they were very nice.

"in the angkot"

It is a big city, it took a long time to go from the hotel in the South to the centre. With an angkot, and of course the boys tried to ask a lot more than the normal price. I told them that I should pay the price they asked, but for everybody (only 4 schoolchildren) in the bus. They didn't like that, because in that case they got a lot less. But the schoolchildren allready thanked me, so they couldn't refuse anymore. And, by the way, it was still more than the normal price.
I wondered if this boys were old enough to drive a car. They looked very young. It was not very comfortable, they had a videoplayer in the car and loud music.

"the normal bus"

The bus is also an option, very cheap! But less comfortable than the angkot. They bus got overloaded, I had to share my chair, next to the driver, with another woman and her child. The woman was talking very quick and a lot to me in Indonesian. She must have thought I had a job in Pekanbaru and could understand her. Most of it I didn't understood, but I did understood when she said her child got sick from the driving and the loud music in the bus, and that she wanted me to ask the driver to put the music off. With no way out, and a sick child, I was glad he understood me. There was no door in the front, only 1 door in the middle of the bus. So, finally arrived at my destination, all the people wich were standing, had to go out.

RIAU ELEPHANT CONSERVATION

by black_mimi99

"Save Us"

"The condition of Sumatra elephant habitat in Riau is currently becoming more fragmented because there had been many changes in land use. Human and elephant conflict (HEC) increases in its occurrence. The conflicts are not only damaging to the community but also threaten elephants’ existence because the solution to such conflicts often tends to harm the elephants. The fact is now the population of wild elephants in the environment continues to decrease; furthermore there is also a suspicion on the threat of elephant poaching to get their ivory tusks". - WWF

Out of concern about the situation WWF Indonesia - Riau Elephant Conservation (WWFID - REC) in Riau devised a strategy for future elephant conservation.

When I was there.... look at this amazing creature, I;m so proud that Indonesia, in Sumatera have this animal not in the zoo, but in wild jungle and also here in this conservation. Where i can touch them, play with them and be their friend.... soooo amaze me that they also know the friendship is....:)

"They Need Love"

This is Sella, the elephant kid, she sooo cute and coddle... I fall in love w/ her, cos of her friendship.... just call her name and she will come follow us....:) I can play w/ her and friendly like our pet at home just different of the size...:)

"Next generation"

This is Sella and rohid which try to grab the blue plate...
If they are not play with their animal tamer, they will eat and eat and eat....:)
In the morning go to river, and have shower, and the evening also go to the river....

Sella(1,5 years) and Rohid(2,5 years) is original from forest, their parents left them.

"Look at Me"

They can be action also...!

"WWF Staff in Riau"

This is one of the WWF Indonesia staff, SEM.... and with Sella...:)

Sumatera elephant is smaller than African elephant, if the Sumateran Elephant big like this, so how big the African elephants?

"Sella"