Goodway Hotel

Expedia.com Travelocity Asiatravel.com

Satisfaction Poor

• summer77's Profile Photo

Formerly known as Mandarin Regency

I picked this hotel due to the mention that it was formerly Mandarin Regency hotel, therefore how bad could it be, right? However I was pretty disappointed. The hotel was tired and dim, the driveway was narrow and despite upgrading us to a Jr Suite from a Deluxe, the carpets & furniture were old. The pool was clean but small and the female jacuzzi & sauna were not working. My kids were one of the very few children in the hotel so I guess it's more a business hotel. There's a 24-hr minimart nearby and next to it, a Sport Massage Centre which offers cheap and good massage/scrub. The breakfast was far from appealing tho' they have a little cart for Jap rice/miso soup. I stayed there 3 nights and 75% of the fare was unchanged. The hotel's long so perhaps they should consider building a lift in another location so that guests staying at the far end do not have to walk such a long way of twists & turns to their rooms.

• bomoh72's Profile Photo

Comfortable Nite In Batam

Situated within Nagoya Entertainment District (better known as NED) and about 5 minutes from ferry terminal (Harbour). Room is big, clean and really comfortable bed. Very friendly staf and always offer hand. Dont thinking of getting good view from this hotel since this hotel is only a 5 storeys building. Missed my free breakfast, so no comment on food.

Unique Quality: Very safe, comfortable and located within NED. Near to everything.

• DarkRay's Profile Photo

A Nice 4-Star Hotel

Goodway Hotel is where I stayed during my trip to Batam. It used to be known as the Mandarin Regency Hotel and that is actually pretty obvious because the hotel apparently cannot decide whether should they change their branding completely to the new name (Goodway) or stick with the old (Mandarin Regency).

Throughout the hotels, one can find signboards (including a really large one by the main entrance), decorative effects, as well as stationery using either of the labels interchangeably.

Of course Goodway Hotel used to be well-known because it used to house one of the better known casinos in Batam island. But that has since been clamped down in February 2005 and apparently, that had hit their business quite a bit. I thought it was interesting that when the receptionist made this known to me during my checkout, she was actually sighing about it.

The location of the hotel is not bad. It is not at the center of the shopping attractions in Nagoya Town, but at a relatively accessible (and definitely walkable distance). Because of this, it is quite peaceful and quiet at night.

The rooms and facilities are a little cramped and old though, but I was certainly happy the bed used for their rooms, even for twin rooms, are queen sized ones! Do note that this is a low-rise hotel with only 4 levels for those who like to stay on high floors.

Being old, there are also some dubious stains on my room's WC unit and bath tub, but not enough to disturb me greatly.

In overall, I think it is quite good value for money. But I think I will stay in a newer hotel should I visit Batam again.

More details about the hotel can be found in my travelogue here.

Unique Quality: It is quite a grand hotel but a little dated. Nevertheless, it is served by a good team of staff who are both friendly and helpful.

One nice touch is that the curtains used were of the total blackout variety, which shields the sometimes overly bright daylight well.

Directions: Within Nogoya Town

More about Goodway Hotel

Sports Massage Centre & Spa

by DarkRay

When your body's aching from all the shopping and water sports activities that are so popular in Batam, a good massage is one of the best way to unwind the body.

Sports Massage Centre, next to Goodway Hotel and opposite Harmoni hotel is a good no-frills place to experience a good massage. Its staff are relatively professional and its prices reasonable (most 1 hour treatments cost around S$15 ~ S$25 / US$9 ~ US$15).

While Singapore dollars is accepted, do note that as they will obviously use a less than favourable exchange rate, it will be at least 10% more expensive than if you pay in Indonesian Ruppiah.

Also, although the place is called a Spa, it is really more of a therapeutic massage centre as there are basically not much ambience to speak of....

Staying in Goodway Hotel

by DarkRay

Overall, Goodway Hotel is quite a grand hotel but a little dated as you can see from the somewhat dim, but spacious lobby here.

Goodway Hotel being a low-rise hotel with more than 200 rooms, has really long corridors sprawling over quite a large area.

Despite it being only a standard room, it is always great when I found that near-queen sized beds were provided! :-)

For a standard twin room, it was actually quite roomy, with a small sitting area and more than enough space to walk. The door shown in the picture is actually the connecting door to the adjacent room, in my case, the room which my other buddies were staying in.

Goodway HotelGoodway Hotel