Jl. Jurusan Palop, PO Box 52, Rantepao, Indonesia
Agoda.com Otel.com

More about Rantepao

Royal families honored and buried in the mountainsRoyal families honored and buried in the mountains

I had Mexican food here.........yes here!I had Mexican food here.........yes here!

On the edge with the valley to the backOn the edge with the valley to the back

@rie @ Batu Tumonga by Jules@rie @ Batu Tumonga by Jules

NIGHT BUS FOR RANTEPAO

by LORELLA1

Hello, please somebody tells me if there are any night bus from Makassar to Rantepao? I need to have a bus schedule time to see when is the last bus in the night

thanks a lot
Lorenzo

Re: NIGHT BUS FOR RANTEPAO

by sukalejong

Hi Lorenzo,

from this site http://www.torajaland.com/travel/info/0016-jadwal-bis-makassar-toraja.

Bis Executive Litha

Makassar
Jl Gng Merapi 135, Makassar Tlp +62 411 324847 , 311055
Jl Urip Sumoharjo km 7, Makassar Tlp +62 411 442263
Rantepao
- Jl Pahlawan, Rantepao Phone +62 423 21204

Jadwal Pemberangkatan:
08.00 AC, 10.00 AC, 13.00 AC, 20.00 non AC, 22.00 AC
Harga Tiket Rp 75.000,00 (pagi dan siang), Rp 85.000 (malam)

Bis Executive Bintang Prima

Harga Tiket Bintang Prima Rp 80.000,00

Bis Executive Alam Indah

Bis Executive Alam Indah (0411) 586717
Harga Tiket Rp 75.000,00

Unfortunately this site in Bahasa Indonesia, so I give you some hint...
Jadwal pemberangkatan = departure schedule
Harga tiket = ticket price
bis = bus
pagi = morning
siang = day
malam = night
Rp = Rupiah, Indonesia currency. Nowadays 1 usd = Rp 9.200
Jl = abbreviation of Jalan which mean street.
tlp = abbreviation of telepon = telephone
10.00, 13.00, 20.00, etc = are the time of departure, wrote in 24hr style. FYI,time in Sulawesi is GMT + 8 hour.
Makassar is the capital of South Sulawesi
Rantepao, I guess you already know that Rantepao is your destination.
I heard that Litha is the best bus company in Makassar.
I hope this help you. Have a nice trip.
Cheers!

Travel Tips for Rantepao

Experiencing Rantepao

by catherinewatson

The area is beautiful with terraced rice paddies, traditional soaring roof houses and elaborate new house or funeral ceremonies to which tourists are welcome. The houses are still being built and lived in. I arrived on my own (9 hour bus ride from Makassar) and intended to tour independently. I was approached by a guide and finally decided to go with him. I don't regret this decision because I had only 3 days in the area. With a much longer stay ( and some knowledge of Indonesian) you could get to villages and grave sites on your own, but this would take lots of time and it is very hot in the afternoon! An air conditioned vehicle and a good English speaking guide is a good investment. I'd recommend my guide: Hendrik Sampe (hendzamptoraja@yahoo.com) c/o Mart's Cafe, Jl. Ratulangi #44 A, phone from outside the country: 0062342219613 or call Mart's Cafe in Rantepao : 0423-25732. I enjoyed the friendliness of the people (each evening I was invited to come to a cafe with my guide and his friends and listen to them sing and play guitar). It was also a pleasure being in a place where tourism hasn't affected the daily rhythm of things.

Grandma's

by RoyJava

I don't know why I am so dedicated to "grandma's", for every old woman my deep respect rise for their state. Maybe of their wisdom, maybe of their memorized tellings I always seek for their existence and, lure on my friends to sit down... and listen to grandma ... Just met "grandma" in Siguntu, better the TAU-TAU effigy of her image, in Ke'te Kesu' I got attrected to a noble grandma, talking to her in my best Bahasa Indonesian at her beautiful Tongkonan. She replied in a willing way and invited me to sit down at the balcony in the sunshine. A great experience, and a sweet memory ...
Ke'te Kesu'

My name was there ;)

by ukirsari

I don't believe myself ... when I move to Aston Toraja Misiliana as a place to stay before heading back to Makassar from Rantepao, I read my name appears at the sign board of the hotel. Make me so blue, like a warm welcome for my stay there. Thanks a lot. I feel like a famous one ;) I always miss this 'isolated' place which also tranquil, secluded and greenery. Even feel a bit scary for the first time ~ remember about hanging graves and buried caves ~ I can enjoy my stay here. Pouring rain when I leave Rantepao, as I feel my post holiday blues here too :(

Rice Padi Fields

by RoyJava

The introduction of wet-rice cultivation in Tanah Toraja after the Dutch conquest has sculpted and terraced the slopes of the steep mountain sides, with streams originating near the hilltops harnessed to flow in a succession of little waterfalls before escaping once more into natural rivers below ... I always get excited again and again enjoying these bright green, gold, rice padi fields ... Ofcourse the best memory go with the cave-tombs, but the rice padi fields I cannot get out of my head when returned to Holland ... yep... I always do miss the rice-growing, the people on the rice padi fields, the rice-culture around ... and for now the saddle-roofed rice-barns included.

Palawa' or Kulambu

by ukirsari

Based on a legend about a man, traveller from Mount Sesean named Tomadao who married to a girl named Tallo Mangka Kalena from Mount Tibembeng. And they have a son named Datu Muane' who married to Lai Rangri' when he’s growing elder. They live in this village happily and makes a bastion. If the enemies comes, they kill’em and, eat the bodies and drink the bloods [ohooo, scary! Yuks!] called Pa'lawak. But in the mid of 11th century, the name changed into Palawa'. Then they decided not to be canibal anymore and changed it with chicken, called Pa'lawa' manuk.
Here are the names of Tongkonan at Palawa [based on the geniality of Datu Muane’], counted from the west part:
1. Tongkonan Salassa' by Salassa'
2. Tongkonan Buntu by Ne' Tatan
3. Tongkonan Ne' Niro by Patangke and Sampe Bungin
4. Tongkonan Ne' Darre by Ne' Matasik
5. Tongkonan Ne' Sapea by Ne' Sapiah
6. Tongkonan Katile by Ne' Pipe
7. Tongkonan Ne' Malle by Ne' Malle
8. Tongkonan Sasana Budaya by Ne' Malle
9. Tongkonan Bamba II by Patampang
10. Tongkonan Ne' Babu' by Ne' Babu'
11. Tongkonan Bamba I by Ne' Ta'pare