Jalan Padma No. 2, Kuta (Legian Beach), Legian, 80362, Indonesia

Costs 92% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa

Would NOT recommend Mandira

by TripAdvisor Member Nonny16

A friend and I stayed at the Bali Mandira for a weeks holiday.

The twin room needed refurbishing. The beds were very uncomfortable, you can not adequately block out the sunlight for a little sleep-in, we had to boil the kettle on the floor as this is where the powerpoint was, and to top it off when we asked for extra pillows we were told the hotel had ran out. Although I loved the "rain"shower they have in the bathroom.

We had paid extra to have the "club" benefits, but I do not consider that this was worth it. The afternoon tea is not replenished, the cocktails are too sweet and poor quality alcohol - that is when a staff member is available to make them. Also none of the choices are rotated, so after a couple of days you would appreciate some variety.

Only two internet terminals so a lot of waiting.

Upper level pool had a nice view, but it was too hard to get any service up there. The ground level pool is small and you had to reserve a deck chair with a towel before you went to breakfast - which is ridiculous! The breakfast was very nice!!

Nyepi Day (like a public holiday) was on when we were there - (take note - it is ILLEGAL to leave your hotel grounds on this day). The hotel served a buffet dinner and did not have enough seats so were turning guests away!!! Parents were begging for a plate to take back to their rooms for their families dinner as the were forbidden to leave the hotel!!

Good location, but not worth the overall cost.

"Absolutely Beautiful" Highly recommended for all ages

by TripAdvisor Member Baliadict

My husband and our 2 children aged 14 and 12 have just returned from 6 nights stay at the Bali Mandira. Wow!!! It was absolutely beautiful and find it very hard to believe other travelers didn't like it. Maybe their standards are a little high!! When we booked our rooms through our travel agent we requested interconnecting deluxe cottage rooms. When we arrived we were taken to the club lounge for a welcome drink and told there were no interconnecting rooms available but the children could stay in a deluxe cottage room and that they had upgraded my husband and I to the Cottage Suite, This room was absolutely beautiful. It had a seperate lounge and dining room with massive bathroom, 2 TV's , DVD players, 3 telephones, huge basket of fruit and a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. The children were only around the corner and the next day they informed us the children could be moved right next to us in interconnecting rooms. We were so happy. Our rooms were spotlessly cleaned daily and every single staff member was so friendly and happy. The food and drinks were of a very high standard as was the spa. I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Bali. The location is brilliant.....

Fantastic 4 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JS9962

We stayed at the Bali Mandira for 2 weeks in April in a deluxe room. From the start of our holiday to the end we were absolutely happy with the Mandira: The staff were always smiling and helpful and the gardens were cared for with great attention. Having booked a deluxe room, we had access to the Lounge, which was quite relaxing, and the parasol restaurant for breakfast with views of the indian ocean. Both features are definitely worth the extra money for the deluxe room.

Also, we booked 'all inclusive' for our holiday. I know that it's possible to eat much cheaper outside the hotel in one of the many restaurants between Kuta and Seminyak, but we wanted a relaxing holiday without having to worry about where to get our food from. Looking back it was the right choice. The food was always very good and well prepared, the drinks were of very good quality. Still, we occasionally went to 'Billy's bar' right at the beach in front of the hotel to enjoy the sunset and have a cold beer..........

dissapointed and wouldn't stay again

by TripAdvisor Member ang484

We stayed at the Bali Mandira for 7 days during March and would have to say I was very disapointed as had heard good things about it.

I've always thought the Madira was targeted towards families so was shocked to rock up and see that there were NO other children and not only that, everyone was about 30 years our senior. I was also very disapointed in our room as I thought we had booked a deluxe room so when I arrived to a small, old 2nd story room, I was not happy jan! I questioned this with the hotel and it was not there fault as I had the room that was booked for me, it was more a problem with the booking company.

Also being upstairs was a pain as we had our toddler(which they were previously aware of) with us so lugging a pram up and down was annoying, I asked if we could upgrade or go to a below ground room, and the not very helpful front desk staff said they were full.

The breakfast was not great( this is my 5th bali visit so I have tried a few)

The other thing is the pool looks like it needs a good clean and renovate( sorry but for apying a lot of money you would think this would be included)
Positives:
I loved the location of this hotel, the beach is awesome. Cold bintangs for 10,000Rp at Bruno's bar every night was so great and the lovely girls(hi Nancy and Fergie)

I wouldn't say to anyone don't stay here, I think it would suit an older crowd and I would definatley reccomend a deluxe room.
I just think that it is a bit pricey for what you get and it needs a bit of renovating.

Pretty good value, great location

by TripAdvisor Member willnino

Our trip to Bali included 7 nights at the Mandira in Legian, 3 night at the Komaneka in Ubud and 4 nights at the Melia Benoa in Nusa Dua/
Benoa. We researched all the chosen locations on TA and picked out 3 hotels that were similarly priced and looked to have the most qualities of what we were looking for in our accomodation. Staying in the 3, did influence our thoughts on the hotels but I think it is in a good way, we tried not to let location influence the reviews as we chose all 3 for different location reasons.

Bali Mandira was right next door to the Legian Beach, where I had stayed previously (they are quite similar hotels actually). Our stay didn't get off to a flying start when we were taken to our room, only to find two single beds...hmmmm....wife not happy with this :-)). It was a blessing really as we had walked into the quite dark superior cottage with small balcony looking nowhere and had been a little disappointed. Back to the reception desk and no superior cottages available with double beds, so we were shown over the Deluxe Cottage (not that much better) and then reluctantly to the third floor of the new accom building at the rear of the property. Reluctantly because we were further from the beach and pool, 3 floors to climb each trip (there is a lift) and the allure of the cottages. Well the room (think their website refers to them as Premier rooms. The room was so much better than the cottages and had a nice breeze and balcony looking over the whole resort and most importantly, great light.

The resort itself is very nicely located right on the beach, with the Legian Beach on one side and the Padma on the other. Directly across the small no-access road is the beach and out on the street you are within easy walking distance of all sorts of shops and restaurants (see my TA post on Legian restaurants). If you are new to Bali, this area is strong on the shopping, hawking and you just need to prepare yourself for it. If you don't want things, just politely say no thanks, not today, maybe tomorrow or no more shopping today (my favourite).

The pluses I found at the hotel were beautiful grounds, friendly staff everywhere, nice breakfast, two pools with well located sun lounges (not much room around the upper pool) and most importantly, not too much sun lounge hogging went on. We were there in low season, so can imagine the pool lounges may get hogged in the busy times....pet hate but what can you do...hmm.

On the negative side, it was hard to access the manager. We paid a bit extra for the room mistake and even though we were on a stay 6, get one free package we had to pay 7 nights of extra...not sure if that was the right thing. They also have two breakfast areas that are designated by the passes you receive, it is almost like first and business class on planes but there is no indication on their website or when we booked that this occurs, I really didn't like it and not that I cared that much whilst there, don't understand why the hotel wants to have that sort of class system.

Overall we really enjoyed our time here. Must add that for those who are physically minded, it is a great hotel for fitness location. Each morning we headed out onto the beach and you can walk or run for miles in either direction. You can also swim or surf at the beach, directly across from the hotel. Get out early before the sun gets too high and then home for a quick dip and breakfast. Hopefully I have covered the questions you have in mind when looking at reviews, feel free to contact me on the Melbourne boards or by PM if you want further details. One last point I though of......great king sized bed, loved it. I am tall and usually struggle with hotel beds.

great charming place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Tilakdutch

Not such a big hotel as neighbours : Legian beach hotel en Bali Padma hotel. Only one main building and bungalows in the garden. We stayed in a deluxe bungalow (includes special benefits as tea, coffee, juices, cakes, internet and evening cocktail. all this in a special lounge). The bungalow has a outdoor shower wich is great! a large area in wich you can look at the sky. The rooms are not so big but for 2 people very efficient. There are 2 pools and the resort is on the beach (a small road seperates it from the beach, no traffic only walking). We realy loved the place. There is a good restaurant/pub close to the resort called Posers (about 500m from the entrance on you left, at a corner). Great food and cheap!! nice staff. Also if you want a good cup of coffee go to Aroma's at jalan legian. The have exelent espresso, capucciono and lovely apple crumble py, jummie....
We loved going to the Espresso bar at night, start around 11 until aboud 2.30. Great band!!

Why stay anywhere else ?

by TripAdvisor Member kangas

Have just returned from the Mandira - took my mum (75 years old) and Aunt (65 years), they are both planning their return trip next year. There was not one thing to fault about this wonderful place. Location excellent, staff are the friendliest I have come across, Food - excellent and our superior room was beautiful (I did regret that we did not have a balcony). So please dont stay anywhere else - just head for the Mandira

Private courtyard room

by TripAdvisor Member PerthGinger

We decided on spur to have a week's holiday. Usually we are intrepid travelers, not the resort type at all, but have to say how relaxed and easy it was to stay at this resort.. We booked the private courtyard room which was fantastic. The outside area was as big as the inside rooms. Half of it is covered and half open (and yes still private even though you have many floors above you- they can't see). The size of the outside bath was for a very roomy two and we used it as our own private pool and never used the inside shower as it was so beautiful showering outside. It made for a very romantic week....
The air conditioning was fantastic to walk back into after steamy outside conditions. Girls, take your own hairdryer as the room one is very slow - I have short hair and gave up using it altogether...The hotel has their own beach towels so don't take any - save room on packing.
It was lovely to be right beside the ocean. There are no hawkers in the hotel and there is security at all entrances. The gardens are immaculate and tended to continuously.
The sunsets are beautiful from the front of the hotel with great bar service. The staff are very friendly and are keen to practice their english/german/japanese with all.

A fantastic week's break made special because of the type of room, gardens, vanishing pool and friendly staff.

great place to relax

by TripAdvisor Member rosco1963

we are a couple in our early 40s and stayed in the delux room with club benifits, ( very recomended ) the hotel staff were very friendly, it was my wifes birthday when we were there and the hotel sent her a bunch of flowers and a card... its the small detail like that.. that makes the differance...the breafast in the restaurant on the beach front was exelent.... the hotel is also very central to outside restaurants and shopping...we loved it...

Dont Waste Your Money on the Mandira

by TripAdvisor Member mizmac59

After spending 4 glorious nights at the Watergarden Hotel in Candidasa we arrived at the Mandira and found ourselves (I was travelling with my mum who is 70, but very fit) totally dismayed with the Delux room they had given us. A tiny cramped brick block (cell) with no windows; our tiny little verandah, which had no shade at all, faced directly onto the red brick wall at the back of reception, affording us absolutely no view. The room had an overpowering smell of some kind of perfume, which after visiting several public toilets I realised was toilet freshener.
We were moved to another room (it was actually a downgrade) which had a window and seemed a bit nicer. But again we had, from our verandah, a view of another brick wall.
I am quite sensitive to strong perfumes and found this room had the same completely overpowering toilet freshener smell. I washed the tile floor down with wet towels but couldnt get rid of it, the entire room was soaked in the stink. We were forced to spend the night there as we had arrived quite late in teh afternoon and I was on the verge of being physically ill all night as I couldnt escape the smell.
The room was absolutely full of mozzies. The breakfast was awful. The pool area was like Disneyland in peak season. The staff werent even all that helpful when I asked them about the smell in the room. Even the woman who checked us in appeared to be full of her own managerial self importance. Not impressed, I contacted our tour organiser and got us moved the next day. Horrible!

Comments