Four Seasons Resort Sayan Bali

FOUR SEASONS RESORT BALI

by Sharrie

FOUR SEASONS RESORT BALI at Jimbaran Bay

Guest Rooms: 139 Villas.
Suites: 8. Water sports, boating, pools, spa, health club.

spacious, well-appointed rooms

by TripAdvisor Member hanalei

I was very impressed with the Four Seasons Sayan when my husband and I stayed there for 5 nights this summer. We also stayed at the Amankila and the Amanjiwo which were superb hotels, but our suite at the Four Seasons was half the price and the service achieved the same standard of excellence. I am glad that we did not pay for an upgraded room because our centrally-located suite was spacious, beautifully decorated, had wonderful views, and was made with materials far superior to the suites we had at the Aman resorts. Service was very attentive. For example, at the pool, there was always someone standing by to bring fresh chilled bottles of water or fresh fruit. When I became ill from some food I had eaten, the manager had the doctor come to my room within 15 minutes. I don't know if I became sick from the food at the hotel as we ate several meals in Ubud, but the food at the hotel tasted very good.
I was, however, disappointed with the spa; perhaps my expectations were too high, but it was really nothing special. Also, the hotel gets very high fees if you let them book your drivers. You can save a lot of money and find a quality driver in Ubud.

Perfect Vacation at FS Sayan & Jimbaran

by TripAdvisor Member ip1275

My husband and I stayed at the FS Sayan for 3 nights and then FS Jimbaran for 4 nights for our honeymoon back in late November 2005. We loved both resorts and enjoyed our stay immensely. We felt blessed that we had reaffirmed our decision to visit Bali after the second bombing in October 2005.

First and foremost, the Balinese people are so wonderful. They are such peaceful, happy, and hospitable people and they did not understand why they became a terrorist target. They were overjoyed to see any tourists, and urged us to come home and spread the word on how great Bali is. And so this is exactly what I am doing.

Four Seasons Sayan is an architectural wonder. It is beautifully integrated with nature. Both exterior and interior design (in modern Asian, minimalist style) are stunningly elegant and yet simple and refreshing. We were so impressed that we bought the painting from the men's bathroom at Sayan's terrace restaurant to take home with us! It is a beautiful video painting by Italian artist Filippo Sciascia, the resident artist and curator of a modern gallery near the FS Sayan.
The service at Sayan is attentive, the spa top notch, the food very good (and not too heavy), and the villas spacious and private.
We felt safe both inside and outside the resort.

On a separate note, you must visit the Mozaic restaurant when you are in Ubud. It is a gastronomic treat.

Four Seasons Jimbaran is an older resort and the architecture and design are more traditional Indonesian style. The oceanview is just unbeatable. The regular villas are smaller than FS Sayan's, but are still very comfortable. FS Sayan is definitely a nicer resort in terms of the property itself but Jimbaran makes up for it with the oceanfront setting. The food at Jimbaran is good too but when we were there the cheaper, more casual restaurant was closed for renovation. We thought the food is very good quality and though it is much more expensive than the rest of Bali, it is not outrageous. However, we did think the drink prices were outrageous. They were New York prices, at $12.50 a drink. I just wish most of that revenue goes to the Balinese people but I know that is not the case at an international 5-star hotel chain... oh well.

On another note, you must also visit Bumbu Bali (the real one in Nusa Dua, not the fake one in Ubud) which offers the best (and cheap) Indonesian food. We took their full day cooking class which was fun as well.

Overall, we would recommend visiting both FS resorts. If you don't like the ocean (which is impossible) then just stay at Sayan. If you are adventurous and curious and love the mix of modern and traditional style, visit both resorts like we did. You won't regret it.

A great experience without a doubt

by TripAdvisor Member Beckett

My husband and I just returned from Bali and stayed at FS Sayan for 3 nights Upon our arrival, we were stunned with the gorgeous scenary and warm reception. We absolutely had a fabulous time. Lots of people go there for their honeymoon, so nice to see happy people around you.

We stayed in villa #59 which is located toward the back of the resort, but it's not that far away from the main building as someone pointed out earlier. We learned from one of the staff people that the villas built by the river were the first phase villas when the hotel was built, so they tend to be a little smaller. Villas 50 and up were the 2nd phase and are newer and much more spacious, but no rice paddy or river view and have privacy nonetheless.

We did dinner at the resturant, food and quality was excellent, but if you want more of an authentic taste, go into town. My husband wanted to taste a traditional Balinese rice dumpling dessert- but was informed the restaurant didn't make it. The bartender offered to contact the pastry chef and had them make the dessert for him the next day to eat.

We also did a couple massage and was placed in a private spa villa. There was a huge giant bath tub and private plunge pool- truly beautiful. Massage was great. I felt massages in general in Bali (we went to a couple of places) were different than if I got a massage back here in the US, they just do things things differently. The massage therapist stand and watch you undress, dress (not at FS). The massage therapist at FS did massage my chest at one point and I did get 'touched' in the bosom area- but so what. FS massage was the best that we had in Bali - in terms of both the spa set up as well as the massage itself.

There is a daily rice paddy trek (1.5-2 hrs) you can do with a hotel staff (complimentary). We walked by an adjacent paddy field and the hotel guide talks about the Sayan area and Balinese culture. He comes prepared with a backpack full of water bottles and cool wet towels for you to refresh yourself.

Overall, we were very impressed with the villas, the architecture of the resort, and espeically the friendly service of the staff. Definitely a place worth staying.

Just returned

by TripAdvisor Member minniemouse

We were at the FS Sayan for 3 nights a week ago. This was our third visit. It's better than I remember. We were impressed with every aspect of our stay. Our villa was beautiful, the food has improved since the last time we visited and the service could not be better. We had a couple of problems and they went out of their way to make sure that all was taken care of and offered to move us when our air conditioning was not working one night. Even the chef came and found me to apologize for the inconvenience. They also sent us an expensive bottle of Champagne and a nice note. The rest of the staff was helpful and engaging. The chef is gifted and the dinner we ate there was perfect. There are so many good restaurants in Ubud so we didn't eat there again because of the brief visit but wish we could have. The manager of the restaurant made reservations for us at another restaurant in Ubud. My husband had a minor medical problem and they called a doctor who came to see us at our convenience. I would recommend a villa on the upper part of the property rather than the river unless you don't mind the screams of the rafters as they go by. We were not on the river this time but we saw and heard the rafters from the lobby. We also stayed at the FS Jimbaran on this trip and we did not enjoy it as much as we have in the past. I just read the new Travel and Leisure Top Hotel list for 2005 and FS Sayan tops the list. They didn't get there by accident.

This is the place to be in Bali, there is no other....

by TripAdvisor Member Moraleja

There is one thing that makes this hotel truly different, and is the wondeful setting, the most beautiful surroundings I´ve ever seen. We stayed at a river front villa with pool, close to the the main building, it was beautiful, however we also visited the suites and were beautiful too, I´m sure that even if we would´ve stayed in a suite our fantanstica experience would have been the same. The restaurantes, spa, and swimmingpool of the hotel was great. The baliness massage we took was such a experience...the service was excellent and the location of the hotel is the best for nature and shopping tours. Ubud is excelent and has some really nice restaurants. I suggests a minimum of 4 night at this wonderful place. We stayed also in 2 other hotels in Bali, Amankila and Four Seasons Jimbaran and this one was the most special by far...

Top hotel in the world?

We stayed in a two bedroom villa by the river. What can I say? This resort has it all! from the great staff to the gourgeus hotel everything was perfect. I know they dont recomend you bring children with you to this hotel, But we brohgt our two young daughters and another couple we were with brought 3 small children, it was fine. I would rate this hotel as one of the worlds finest

Honeymoon retreat

Myself and new wife stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July and had a fabulous time.

We were picked up from the airport in their hotel car, cold towels and iced water - a good start after a long flight.

The valley is stunning, the villas oppulent, and the staff first rate. Dining was a pleasure, and the chef would gladly adapt his menu if you have any intolerances (nuts in my case!).

Recommended:
*Booking a local taxi (for half a day or longer as well as short trips)
*Going on a hotel led trek around the grounds (we were filmed by the Fourseasons making a promo video - can't promise you'll have the same weird experience!)
*Getting your breakfast delivered to your river-side villa in the morning - simply unforgettable.

I get it now-- Why T&L rated it #1 hotel in world

by TripAdvisor Member gmnewyork

Best hotel i have ever stayed. service is perfect (while you can get close at other four seasons resorts in the americas, it just does not compare to baliense hospitality! Definitely go for the river front villa, the steadfast soothing sound of the river is a big bonus... i read other poeple complaining of screaming people comin down the river rafting boat, absolutley stupid complaint, you can hear them a few times a day, but total non-issue. four seasons have built a super five star hotel in the middle of the Bali jungle, and done it perfectly!

Comments