Furama Villas & Spa

Costs 51% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Furama Villas & Spa

Very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Schellyl

My husband and I stayed in the Furama's Xclusive villas for two nights in June this year. This is a new complex adjacent to the regular villas.

Thank God it was only for two nights out of our eight night stay in Bali - any longer and it might have ruined our entire holiday.

Upon arrival at the Furama, we were very disappointed to find the rooms dusty, dirty and unfinished. To give an example, the toilet didn't work and there was no water coming out of the taps. After two hours of stuffing around, we were finally moved to another room which was marginally better.

The hotel was preparing for the official launch the week that we were there and there were construction workers surrounding our room and lots of noise going late into the night. The location felt very remote and we felt a bit unsafe in our room of a night.

But aside from all the issues with construction and an unfinished room, the service was unlike anything I have experienced in Bali before. My husband is a very relaxed, patient man, but even he was ready to pull his hair out time and time again from the horrendous service.

No one was ever rude. They were all perfectly nice but so inefficient. It wasn't even the language barrier, they were just very disorganised and more concerned with the officials coming for the launch than their paying guests. We would order room service and it wouldn't arrive, once we booked a day spa package for a certain time, and the spa organised a buggy to pick us up (we didn't mind the walk but they offered the service). The buggy didn't arrive and by the time we walked up to the spa, we were 15 minutes late for our session and were told we would have to rebook for the following day. This wasn't a one-off, something liked this happened every day.

The restaurant was also average, though there are some great spots to eat in town.

A few other couples we met at the resort were also frustrated at the lack of service.

This was my fourth visit to Bali and I have stayed at so many great hotels, this was very unexpected. We came to Ubud for a relaxing getaway and were so stressed the entire time, we felt like a huge weight had been lifted off our shoulders when we finally left. Prior to this hotel we stayed at the Ayodya Palace in Nusa Dua and after at the Conrad in Tanjung Benoa. These were amazing hotels - beautiful grounds and wonderful service.

I wouldn't stay at Furama Ubud again for free. That said, Ubud is a fantastic place to visit and we will definitely return (and stay elsewhere).

Treated like a Princess

by TripAdvisor Member paisleybikini

The outstanding service started from the pick up at the airport with a cool face towel and bottle of water - absolutely needed in the humidity! I cannot describe the level of service except to say it was so outstanding I felt like royalty! All staff knew every guests name, where they were from etc etc

Should mention that the hotel is still under construction and will probably be for another month at least as they are building a two storey spa building! Wireless internet is free, big bonus, and they also have a business centre with conference room on site.

The villa was beautifully decorated with lots of funky leather and Victorian style furniture. From the private pool to the massage sala to the outdoor shower, everything about the villa was sensual and well thought out.

Upon arrival we were offered a complimentary three course dinner and 20 massage, which we gratefully accepted! You can also flick though their extensive 'private dinner menu' which can be taken in your own villa (in fact we ate all but one meal at the villa dining table) which can come with a musician who will play the gammalan during dinner.

The hotel is not in Ubud centre but they do offer a shuttle bus for free five times a day. The other thing I noticed was that if you went to Kuta or Jimbaran, no one actually had heard of the Hotel which meant getting back by taxi was slightly difficult. I would suggest finding a taxi driver in Ubud and bargaining for a day price, and getting them to drop you back to the Hotel.

The highlight was getting upgraded to the new Lagoon Villas which officially open in June and I would HIGHLY recommend staying in them. Ultra Modern, private lagoon pool which is walled but opens onto a spring water Olympic size swimming pool. Check out my photos!

I cannot urge you enough to try Furama Villas and Spa yourself, you will not regret it one bit!

A Romantic and Secluded Spot near Ubud

by TripAdvisor Member HeatherEW

I loved this hotel! The most romantic I've stayed in.

My husband arranged for us to spend several days at the Furama Villas and Spa and got a great package through their website. We stayed in one of the Deluxe Pool Villas which offered a traditional-looking Balinese villa (with a/c) which included a spacious bedroom/sitting room and bathroom with a huge tub. Fortunately, the hot water was instant and continuous, so you could actually fill the tub up.

Outside was a walled-in garden with its own private (chilly) pool, a lovely veranda and tropical flowering plants. There was also an outdoor shower in back.

The hotel offered several shuttles a day into Ubud. Otherwise you can relax and enjoy the quiet nestled among the rice fields. The only drawback is that they fumigate for bugs every Saturday afternoon. This means loud machinery and clouds of poison. Sadly, we chose Saturday as our day in. But it was on all other counts a lovely day.

The breakfast buffet (included with the room) was very good with lots of fresh, tropical fruit, eggs, breakfast meats, various breads and pastries, cereal, and yogurt on request.

We were disappointed that the menu didn't include Indonesian food, but found you could get it on request. We had a nice set dinner one evening (also part of the package) with salad, fabulous asparagus soup (and I don't like asparagus that much), gado gado and fresh fruit for dessert.

Hotel staff were very attentive and accommodating.

Catastrophic - hotel still in constructuction

by TripAdvisor Member balihorror

To all, this hotel is NOT FINISHED (see photos)
We had booked for 3 nights with my wife for our honeymoon and paid 450$ (in advance!)
But when we arrived, we were horrified: the hotel is still in construction with workers on site and engineering work going on (noise, dust, etc.).
Look the pictures we took : they will show you our nightmare!! Our balinese guide himself was in shock...
We decided to leave immediately the place but before we talked to the "hotel" manager about this creazy situation. He told us that he would initiate a partial reimburment procedure with the travel website we used but of course I did nothing and I have been charged 450$ for nothing

Please don't make the same mistake we did and don't hesitate to contact me if you need further details

Furama is fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member summerkris

The Furama villa & Spa was great ! we stayed there for 3 nights in may and was blown away by beauty of their villa and the great service and warm hospitality! The staff knew you by name and always make an effort to strike up a conversation or greet you :-) The privacy of the villa was great esp with the lovely pool and outdoor showers!

Try the cycling excursion booked with the villa and you get to see the padi fields and villages of ubud. The villa guide, Darsana, is ready to explain all local traditions of the balinese ppl. It's a cultural experience you should not missed!

Highly recommended for honeymooners to try their FuramaExclusive suites.. u simply won't want to leave after wards

Fab Furama

by TripAdvisor Member KathrynSimon

We stayed for 4 nights in May. Earlier in our holiday we stayed at a 5* villa hotel next to the Four Seasons in Jimbaran, and this was definitely better value. Despite the building work going on, the hotel was only using those villas furthest away, by the river. We spent quite a lot of time lounging by our pool, and I can honestly say that all we could hear was the sound of the fountain in the pool. All the food, whether delivered to your villa or to the temporary restaurant, came by golf buggy and was delicious and very reasonably priced. The service wasn't speedy, as is so often the case in Bali, but it did give the opportunity for a chat with the staff. You are able to have spa treatments in your villa - there is a dedicated bale in each of the gardens - which is a plus as you can hear building noise in the temporary spa villa. The treatments were wonderful and relaxing - so much so, my husband promptly fell asleep. We ordered one of the romantic set meals in our villa - it came complete with a butler, candles around the pool, umbrellas, flags and petal decorations everywhere. The staff are so eager to please, and such pleasant company, it was a real shame to have to leave

Wonderful Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member rovver

The room and environs were fantastic....Totally private, supplying everything your heart could desire. Staff were ever-friendly and efficient.
Hotel is a little out of Ubud town, but don't let this put you off, as we wouldn't want to stay in the town anyway, and the shuttle service supplied by the hotel more than met our needs.
Breakfast was adequate, but not lavish, with the staff more than willing to satisfy one's needs. Suggest you try the Bali coffee (if you like it strong!)
Evening meal was a little disappointing; 'imagine this will improve with time. A good restaurant in Ubud was The Dirty Duck: pleasant setting, great food.
Would definitely return to the Furama on any future visit to Bali. It was far superior to anything else we saw in Ubud or NusaDua (our two destinations).

Magical!

by TripAdvisor Member OIlovetravelling

We travelled to Bali as two couples in our mid-twenties. Looking for adventure, romance and a relaxing holiday this is certainly what we found at Furuma.

We stayed in two self-contained pool villas for two nights.

As everyone says - the staff are the most friendly, helpful and genuine hotel staff we've come across in our travels around the world.

Greeted by drinks, a towel and a massage on your own massage bale in the villa garden (though beware - this was a bit of a "pummeling"!) was a nice welcome.

Our villa was phenomenal - quite quirky but if you're looking for authentic, traditional balinese decor and your own private space this is it - and at such a reasonable price (though I'm sure this will go up when the spa is completed). There is a private, clean swimming pool and a bath that could probably fit 10 people in it! The outdoor shower is very cool too - a quite unique experience at nighttime.

Minor criticism - the bed sheets and bale sheets smelled a bit musty but I don't think you can expect Ritz standards in rural Ubud.

Breakfast is phenomenal - a feast. This was the only meal we ate here though.

There was building work going on near our villas but if you're quite active and out investigating Bali during the day this is no disturbance!

We used the complementary shuttle service into ubud both days (again - reliable and handy) to see more of the cultural centre. Having been to the centre, I actually would not want to stay there - parts of it felt slightly threatening as night drew. Furuma offered the ideal balance of having luxury accommodation in peaceful surroundings whilst the opportunity to travel and see tourist areas, if you so wished. Top tips for Ubud itself: Eat/drink at The Three Monkeys and talk a walk along the Campuhan Ridge.

We were shown the new luxury villas. They look lovely - clean, modern and comfortable but in my opinion, having travelled all the way to Bali, I wanted to stay somewhere different to my apartment in London.

We would definitely stay in Furuma again and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to experience balinese culture and lifestyle with westernised amenities.

Superb place

by TripAdvisor Member smileymileysydney

Aussie, 41 from Sydney. Stayed in a deluxe villa with my girlfriend for 5 days. Perfect place, fantastic villa and superb staff. Food was excellent, did the cooking class and ate our food for 2 days too! Massage in the hotel a bit pricy compared to ubud town but very good and convenient and lovely setting. Recommend to anyone and would go back.

Good getaway - though quite far from Ubud

by TripAdvisor Member arnidepee

When we arrived in Furama, the hotel was entirely finished - no more construction work going on.
The villas are very nice, with some Balinese touches. The bathroom we had was very spacious, maybe even a bit too spacious. There is an outdoor shower.
I could not really appreciate the floor in the bedroom, which was concrete with a 3x3m drawing of a toy duck....

Service is very good, very friendly staff.

The hotel is quite far from the Ubud, so you have to take a shuttle bus every day back and forth, for about 20min. The hotel shuttle already ends at 9m, so if you're going for a late night dinner you have to book a taxi from the hotel, a 150,000Rupiah.

Comments