Jl Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali, 80571, Indonesia

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa

sensational hidden treasure

by TripAdvisor Member kimmiechong3151

My boyfriend and I recently decided to splurge during a part of our trip to Bali and stayed at the lovely Kupu Kupu Barong. The resort has a bit less than 30 villas on the property and each is two stories.

Our villa was larger than we expected and was tastefully decorated. The bathroom had beautiful finishes and had a deep tub for two. When you walked in, there was a small living room downstairs leading to a deck. The deck was one of the highlights as it overlooked a gorgeous valley with a river at the bottom.

There is a gorgeous pool on the site, but it is a bit out of the way. it's worth checking out and having a cocktail at the pool bar.

The lobby has one computer with free access to the internet.

Magnificent and stunning

by TripAdvisor Member ossupov

Our 4 nights stay in Kupu Kupu Barong was splendid! After spending some days in the hype of Kuta, Ubud was the location to be close to nature and Balinese tradition. Perfect location, with the incredible view to Ayung river, added up to the romantic yet exotic atmosphere of Ubud - the hotel was very peaceful indeed. The well-presented employees was very helpful to us, since we were not very familiar with Ubud territory. The shuttle car to Ubud center provided by the hotel was also very efficient! The food was a little expensive, but price comes with good quality. I love the little Balinese dancers performance. Truly recommended for honeymooners.

A unique and special moment

by TripAdvisor Member dsportes

The Kupu Kupu Barong is a special place to spend a unique moment in Ubud. The hotel is a wonderfull place, with great villas, an excellent restaurant,a very peacefull and relaxing spa, great bathroom and a great panorama on rice fields and the jungle.

The Kupu Kupu team is always willing to help and provide a very high quality of service to make the stay even more special.

We were looking for something very special (for the proposal) and we had a unique experience thanks to the dedication of the team. The dinner on the infinite pool, facing the jungle, is also a moment of exception.

Our villa was tastefully decorated with flowers, candels... everything was just perfect.

We will come back!!

Very Very pleasant stay !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member nichois

This hotel was recommended by friends who stayed there during their honeymoon.
My 3 nights stay at Kupu Kupu Barong was the highlight of my trip. I mean the villas are very charming and its location is perfect, something like 7 minutes drive from Ubud which is a very peaceful area with however many things to do.

Concerning the room, we stayed in a wooden villas with a private pool and a great view; very warm and spacious place with good amenities. If your villa is a bit far from the lobby, there is golf car to takes you there.
Staff is very friendly like many other hotel staff in Bali, that's fascinating, the way they always remember your name, ok the pronunciation is not perfect but that's kind anyway.
Their Spa is also beautiful, good therapists, if you contact hotel directly before arrival, you must try to get 60 minutes free ;-)
Breakfast are good enough and copious to make you feel sated a good part of the day, their restaurant has a nice view (like villas) and the food is more than fine for a French Gourmet that I am 

It's strange how this hotel makes you feel alone in the world when the sun goes down. Jungle noises, bright nights, river sounds...Maybe the most romantic moment in my life.
I recommend it and will go back to Kupu Kupu Barong one day for sure.

Magnificent

by TripAdvisor Member bowerbirdschest

I took so much care in choosing a hotel in Ubud as it was a very special family holiday for us. I didn't want a soul-less Chain with 500 guests and weren't into the morning tennis/yoga type ones. I really wanted 5 star but with a Bali feel and having looked (I think) at every hotel in the 5 star category am thrilled with my decision to stay there. Kupu Kupu Barong has only 22 Villas with different set ups (see their website). They are thatched (Bali style) and there are beautifully manicured plants and flowers everywhere - it was stunning,

We also had special requirements as we were travelling with 10 people - one of whom was quite ill, one was 93 and a 10 month old and Kupu Kupu Barong was great for all!

The villas do differ quite a lot (having booked and therefore seen 5 of them) and I definitely think the Aryung Pool Villa topped even the Royal Villa (don't spend the extra getting that).

There are Golf buggies you can call if one of the members of your party is old or unwell or indeed if its too hot to climb some stairs or you come back with many bags which was great for our 93 year old party member and me (the shopaholic!). Although there aren't many stairs there are some as its overlooking the river bank. Do be careful if this is an issue for you as other properties have heaps more stairs (which you don't know about until you ask and who wants to walk UP 300 stairs from the pool and get hot again).

The staff couldn't have been nicer and more efficient at Kupu Kupu Barong. I really was so taken aback by their attention to detail. It was my birthday when we were over there and they all sang happy birthday to me and knew it was my birthday when they picked me up in the buggy. They were so good with our 10 month old - playing with him, making him laugh and being very welcoming (which often they aren't with children at these types of hotels).

The big pool was terrific and much warmer than the villa pools which was great for our little one and older ones alike. There were so many little extras like plates of mini tarts which arrived in your villa each night, welcome gifts, frangipanis on everything in your villa each day and up staircases etc and welcome spelt out in petals on ones bed, robes and slippers on your bed each night - and many more. It was simply a lovely hotel and they bent over backwards to accommodate us and everything we wanted. If I had any criticism and this is me being very picky it was that the food in the restaurant wasn't brilliant (but hey - are any hotel restaurants Gastromomic sensations?). But it was certainly very nice and decent servings and presentation. There is also a separate spa area (not the Mango tree) which was so luxurious I can't tell you and I don't know why they don't have pics on the website.

Kupu Kupu Barong was also well placed. It was 10 mins out of CBD so too long to walk but it wasn't half an hour out which some are. It was also close to Mozaic restaurant (an ABSOLUTE MUST), the ribs of Naughty Nuri's (their famous martini will kill you!) and many other things.

If you are Australian I recommend booking through BRIAN Fernandes (he was SO GOOD) at Bali Tours www.balitours.com.au. We even got a better deal than I could have anywhere on the Web (and believe me I did my homework). Bali Tours offer extra things like transfers etc so it was all seamless. The thing I really recommend about Brian was he was so knowledgeable, efficient and honest so he would ask questions and say no that property isn't for you and this is why etc. This sort of knowledge of the area WAS invaluable as you can't find that sort of advice on the hotel sites (it was he that told me about stairs in one property etc). Brian - I owe you a big thanks for making our holiday so wonderful - thanks for taking such interest!

Bali Tours also offer tours etc but I booked Webee (google him he is famous) as a Driver and he was EXCELLENT and cheaper. Cars were last years, great air con, lovely lovely man.

I hope this helps you make a decision but all 10 of us in very different times of our life (we had people in their 20's, 30's, 50's, 60's and 90's as well as a baby) and it was brilliant for us all. I highly recommend Kupu Kupu Barong and hope you enjoy your time there as much if you decide to stay there.

Not 5-star worthy

by TripAdvisor Member Morten14

You can among other parameters judge a hotel on its capability to handle problematic situations. In that sense Kupu Kupu Barong in Ubud is not justified its 5 stars. We booked a stay in an Ayung River Pool Villa but was for some reason downgraded to a Duplex Pool Villa (huge difference) our first 2 nights. Discussions with the hotel staff did not do much good. First they tried to explain that this was in line with our reservation. Since we could document that this was not true they just said they were sorry. They day we should move villa the house keeping were more than two hours delayed in preparing our new villa (which is a lot when your a staying four days and have prepared the move to be on time) and the front desk kept saying it was not delayed. Disappointing and untrustworthy service from the front desk. Again!

Beside these situations with the reception/manager we had a great stay but I would never rate the hotel as a 5 star hotel as they do. The villas are with some variations not cleaned very well and look old. We saw/stayed in three different villas (no. 3, 28 and the Royal Suite) The Mango Tree Spa offer spa treatments like it was a factory and the quality is not what we experienced in other hotels on Bali. The butler service is okay but as they try to make it very personal they fail. They cannot keep track on all the information and keep asking the same questions over and over.

Overall conclusion. Great location, beautiful setting and view. Ayung River Pool villas are the best pick but do not expect 5 star service (spotless rooms, 5 star interior etc.) or high quality spa and if problems arise do not expect much from the front desk.

superb hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kim_soon_ah

My husband had I had a splendid honeymoon experience in this hotel. We really feel the Balinese hospitality from the day we arrive until we leave the hotel. The staffs are very helpful during our stay especially since it was our first time to visit Bali and we didn't really prepare our holiday plan in Bali. Our villa is amazing and facing the stunning view of Ayung River which made us feel that we stayed in the semi-jungle experience. It was just the honeymoon that I had imagined: layback, tranquil and romantic. I strongly recommended their spa services especially the tree spa experience.

Insecure In-room Safe

by TripAdvisor Member AutumnR_NY

While we had an otherwise excellent stay in Bali, my husband and I were very sad to realize that someone had broken into the in-room safe (an electronic one where you set the combination) and stolen over 10% of our cash (this event could either have been at this location or the hotel they acquired in Tuban). The thief took a few bills in various denominations in various currencies, likely hoping we wouldn't notice the loss. Since we ended up staying at the hotel for the vast majority of our stay and didn't do much shopping, we did notice. So: Travelers Beware!! Avoid placing cash in the in-room safe. If you must, count it before and after you get back.

As for the usual things about which people write reviews -- our stay at the hotel was otherwise excellent. Fantastic rooms. Fantastic service, far surpassing anything we've ever experienced. Cleaning was done 2X/day and snacks were left at night. I believe someone had previously complained that towels were refolded and not replaced. The hotel now gives a notice saying that if you want the towels replaced, just indicate this by leaving the towel on the floor. Just so you know, it will be replaced later that day, not while they're cleaning the room that time. If you want the food removed after you've eaten, all you have to do is call the butler and someone will come to pick it up right away (otherwise, yes, it will be left overnight).

By the way, the floors are really slippery. You may want to bring slippers with traction to reduce the chance of falling. Our villa had 4 split-levels, so we generally couldn't avoid the stairs.

Unforgettable honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member mrkhamkhao

I have to say that this place is worth every penny. The staff makes you feel like you are a superstar. They're every where you turn but not in a bad way. Since it was our honeymoon they put flowers in our bath tub and on our beds almost every night.

My wife and I loved every second spent in our beautiful pool villa.

wow

by TripAdvisor Member chacaldore

we stayed for 3 nights for our honeymoon in the pool villa with the direct view on the ayung river.
The place is just amazing!
Waking up with the amazing view on the jungle and the river.
It is just incredible!