Swiss Belhotel Bay View

Travel Tips for Bali

Shopping & Food

by meliaz

"Kuta"

This is how it looks like along Kuta on a regular shopping day. And let me tell you, it's as hot as it looks.
So wear hats and feel free to use the sunscreen.

"Art Market"

I can't say I remember the name of this market..not exactly. But if I'm not wrong, the locals call it the Art Market.
It's where lots of locals go to buy stuff, so generally the things there are definitely cheaper compared to the stuff that you find at Kuta.
When I was there, there were heaps of foreigners as well..so maybe more people know about it now.
Another tip..if you're a Malaysian Chinese, speak Malay when bargaining with the locals so that you're not taken for a Japanese, Taiwanese or S'porean - Bahasa Malaysia (Malay language) is very similar to Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian National Language).

"Cafe Wayan"

Think this pic was taken on our first night in Bali. We had dinner at this place called Cafe Wayan in Ubud. (Yeah we stayed in Ubud for a couple of nights).
The food in Bali is quite similar to Malaysian food..except for the spices they used. Quite yummy I must say.

"Dirty Duck Diner"

This dish I believe I had at the Dirty Duck Diner though I can't remember the exact name of the dish.

Here, you just have to be adventurous and try everything.

"Bebek Tutu & Babi Guling"

Bebek tutu and babi guling are two famous dishes found in Bali.

For the Bebek tutu (duck cooked with herbs), you have to pre-order the day before so you gotto do some planning if you wanna eat it. Did I like it? Can't say I remember exactly how it tasted like, but what the heck - it's famous in Bali so you just have to try it out.

I remember having Babi Guling at one of the busy shopping squares in Ubud. Our tour guide friend took us there. Unfortunately, no recollection of the name. It's actually very similar to the Roasted Pork - 'siu yuk' dish you find in Malaysia. Only difference is the spices they use. Take them sparingly cause they're chilli hot.

This pic shows a view of the paddy field beside the Dirty Duck Diner. I asked my local friend about this and it seems that most restaurants would buy up the land beside it and then grow paddy there to prevent competition from springing up nearby. The restaurant owners usually get farmers to grow paddy and then the farmers get to keep the paddy they grow. Looks like a win-win situation to me.

Another little bit on how they got the restaurant name. It seems that after the owners of this restaurant build they place, and while they were thinking of a name, a duck walked up from the paddy field. It was totally covered in mud, so the owners decided to call their restaurant the Dirty Duck Diner. If I'm not mistaken there are 2 of them in Ubud.

"Bali Bombing Memorial"

They build a memorial here to commerate those who died at the first Bali Bombing. It's sad that there were 2 more bombings last year in Bali.

Comments