Hotel Shafira

street vendorstreet vendor

Borobudur Temple, August 2010Borobudur Temple, August 2010

Water CastleWater Castle

AirportAirport

spaces for Merapi ascent later this month

by dpquinn

Hello!
I have booked a guided trip from Yogyakarta to the summit of the legendary Gunung Merapi on the evening of Saturday 20th June. At present I have 2, maybe 3 spare places for this, since the car can fit 4 passengers. The driver is picking us up at Yogyakarta railway station at 5pm on the Saturday, taking us up to Selo where we start the ascent at approx 1am. There's a guide and a porter, food etc... and we'd be at the summit for dawn and back in Yogya mid-afternoon on the Sunday (i.e easily in time for the night train back to Jakarta). Anyone interested in joining, email me and I'll send you the itinerary details etc..
Cheers
Dan
danpquinn at googlemail dot com

Re: spaces for Merapi ascent later this month

by theo1006

Hi Dan,

Just want to wish you a good climb. Might have joined you, but am getting a bit too old, as I experienced when I last did the Merapi (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/a1a8f/#TL).

Theo

Travel Tips for Yogyakarta

Directions to Jalan Sosrowijayan/Gang I & II

by livethedream

Arriving in Jogja in the wee hours of the morning, walking in the dark along Jalan Sosro trying to find a place to stay.

I am adding here the directions to Jalan Sosro and Gang I & II.

The backpackers area of Jalan Sosrowijayan is very near the Tugu train station. From the main entrance of the station, turn right and cross the railroad track towards Jalan Malioboro. One block later, to your right, will be Jalan Sosrowijayan. Along Jalan Sosro, you will see Gang I and II to your right. The accompanying photo shows the gate to Gang II.

ship package or bag to jogja from jakarta

by putri_jogja

If you have booked accomodation in Jogja, you can send your bag using Pandu Logistics, attn to your hotel. Here is the contact number and email. Phone : (021) 461 6007 Email : info@pandulogistics.com

Drink properly, dear

by Goldenboy

When they offer you a drink in their house, then it is not recommended for us to drink it all. Normally people here will leave it a bit, just to let you know that someone is not greedy, take it all anything. It is just habit. But I don’t really care, I mean if I am really thirsty, I would like to ask for more then hehehe.

Birds market

by xaver

As I could reccomend for any town you visit for the first time, the local market is a place that can give you an idea of where you are much more than the most important monument and sites the colours, the smells often remain in your memory much longer than the history of a statue of a painting.
I didn't meet any tourist around Yoyakarta market which is a place where to meet local daily life, full of people and some weird birds species.

Shopping in a Traditional Market in Yogyakarta

by bpacker about Pasar Beringharjo

If shopping in a mall in Yogya, Java, isn't your cup of tea and you would rather rub shoulders with the locals, pop over to Pasar Beringharjo. This traditional market is cavernous and if it weren't for a very kind local vendor, I would have been totally lost. You see, I was so dazzled by the size, sights and smells of this gigantic place that I almost became disoriented and hairless. Yes, you heard me right, I nearly pulled my hair out in frustration because I couldn't find the spice ( rempah rempah) area to photograph. So, I tried my darnest to remember the phrases I learnt when I was a child and asked a local vendor in pidgin Indonesian where the darn rempah was. Somehow, I think I charmed the vendor. Not only did he think it was cute for a Japanese to speak the local tongue ( I tried to explain that I wasn't Nihon-jin to no avail) , he volunteered immediately to bring me around for free and gave me a crash course in the local lingo. On top of that, he introduced me to everyone in the market and let me try their goodies. I tasted palm sugar, savoured jackfruit and even sniffed at a sandalwood cushion cover. What an experience! It was worth every minute even if I had to become Japanese for 1/2hour. I thanked the local profusely at the end, in Japanese of course. He bowed in return. Spices, Batik, Sandal Wood Scented Cushion Covers sell for a song over here. But be prepared to drive a hard bargain. It helps if you speak the local lingo as the most the vendors here do not speak English. As for myself, I wasn't interested in any of the wares, I was only here for photographic interest. Still, I ended up with some fragrant spice mixture for beef rendang. The rempah rempah section was at the back end of the market, along with the basket and cushion cover section. Most of the goods here cost less than USD5.

Comments