Akita Castle Hotel

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

Travel Tips for Akita

Streets of Akita.

by Sharrie

Walk on the streets of Akita & discover for yourself what's new in this city. I noticed that bicycle is an important mode of transportation in all the cities of the Tohoku region. There's huge parking lots for bicycles. This I find very interesting though I have yet found out the exact reason why it's more common in this part of Japan than the rest of Honshu island.
The city of Akita was a pleasant surprise to me. After having spent about 2/3 of the day in Tazawako & Kakunodate, I thought the day went well. Enjoyed both places & head for the last stop of the day. I have read about Akita before I came & knew there're quite a lot of places to venture from Akita (you know, the off-the-beaten paths) but since I don't have much time, I decided before arrival to just check out this city (perhaps for future visits). What do I like about it?

Well, Akita is refreshing after Tazawako & Kakunodate. I'm back to civilization! I didn't expect myself that happy to be in a city, really! I guessed I'd never be able to stay in the mountain for a lengthy period of time since I like the modern-day convenience way too much.

In essence, Akita is not a new city. Remains from the Old Stone Age, the Jomon & Yayoi Periods are found in many locations in Akita. In other words, it has a history of about 20,000-30,000 years. But today, it has developed into an industrial, economic & cultural city. As soon as one steps out of its modern-designed station, one is surrounded by huge departmental stores & hotels. I think this is great. At the very least, I don't have to scout around for food when I'm hungry & I get to spend my time shopping after dark. Just perfect! & mind you, shopping in Japan is one activity that no one should ever missed. It's the best place in the world, as far as I'm concerned, of course!

Comments