1346 Minamiishido Cho
Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Nagano

beside jigokudanibeside jigokudani

Travel Tips for Nagano

Visiting the Temple on a foggy...

by ajakent

Visiting the Temple on a foggy evening, after the tourists have left is worth more than words can say. The best memories I have involve the people of Nagano. They were polite and helpful and enthusiastic in a time that could have become extremely stressful. A good example of this was when I misjudged the time and walked into a hardware store well before opening hours. That the doors were not locked is an indication of how obedient the Japanese people are to rules and regulations - nobody would ever dream of entering beforehand. Not reading Japanese, I didn't notice the sign stating store hours. It did not help that I had just finished the night shift - I think it was 8pm-8am, and I was a little bit dazed and confused in addition to being very excited.

When I walked in, the Staff were all going through their daily loyalty ceremony, with the store manager orchestrating their oaths and their bows. When they realized that I was desperate for film so that I could take pictures at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, they quickly dispatched one of their members to get the film and to specially open one of the cash registers so that I could pay. On my way out the entire staff of the store bowed me out with big smiles and surreptitious waves of the hand.

For me, this is a great example of the dichotomy that is Japan.

Nagano - With All Blessings Of Nature God

by Archie_Oak

Kamikouchi
Where Gods Dwell....

Popularly known as Switzerland of Japan

Kamikouchi itself means the high places where gods dwell. This mountain range is a formation of a volcanic erruption, which was occurred some hundred years back. This is one of the dormant volcanoes in Japan!!!
At Kamokouchi, there is a snow patch in the mountains, which never melts. It is called as Hyakunen Yuki meaning 'Hundred years old snow'. You go there any day in summer, you will find single white patch, which is not ashes or rock, it is ice.
This place is located in the Nagano Prefecture. Nagano Prefecture is famous for the Winter Olympics.

The lakes are crystal clear, and the water tastes sweet and refreshes you immediately of the journey sickness you may get as you travel through Ghats, from jungles, following the narrow roads!!! Only 1 bus or truck can go at a time....

Hattifattene's new Nagano Page

by Hattifattene

I am from a small village north east of Nagano.
I spent 60's & 70's there before I moved to Tokyo and eventually to Dublin.
If you want to know anything about the areas around Nagano I might be able to help you.

Comments