Kusatsu Hotels

Our Members Say

• xaver profile photo xaver
  • Reviews: 1222

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Inn Mizuki: a very Japanese experience

This a very small inn just outside the centre of the town.
Hotels in Kusatsu are very expensive so we had no choice and we stayed in this small inn where you have a Tatami room with naterass, fouton and pillow.
Everything is very basic, no toilette in the room, no men toilette and no women toilette, but if you enjoy hot spring, you have the chance to have a 20 minuts one, no longer.
Room rate for 3 was almost 100 euro, so I consider Kusatsu a very expensive experience, but still worth, as it's very unique.
I really enjoyed the very Japanese experiece, but the price is definitly exagerated.

Japanese breakfast with noodles, rice, tofu soup, salmon and tea.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• Maxiediva profile photo Maxiediva
  • Reviews: 20

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kouakan Ryokan: The Best Loved Hot Spring Spa / Onsen

Kusatsu is similar to the St. Moritz of sorts. There is hardly any cheap accommodations around and finding Kouakan Ryokan was certainly an accomplishment. It's more like a Minshuku than a ryokan and run by a lovely couple who hardly speaks English. There is no address in English and I was sooo lucky to meet a family from Tokyo who helped to call the ryokan and ask for directions. The owner came personally to pick me up in his car and it seemed like a long drive up, but there is actually a small lane that will take you straight back to Yubatake in 3mins from the ryokan. Apart from myself, there were 8 other guests - 7Adults and 1chiild staying for the night. The 5 elderly obaasan took the biggest room while the family of 3 snuggled away in a corner unit. After the formalities, I was shown to my room which was larger than I expected. There is a kotatsu, heater, hot water for tea and a special sweet. The ryokan has separate Ofuro for men & ladies. The lady owner will lay your futon for you and you can opt for boarding with or without meals. They also provide yukata and the fluffiest of blankets and heated mattress! Although Kusatsu had so much to offer, I spent the rest of the evening in the ryokan, enjoying the onsen and the comfort of my room. Overall, this ryokan is clean, comfortable, convenient, relaxing and above all, for 4,500Yen a night, is an absolute steal!

I wsd truly impressed with the automatic toilets. The lights come on when you enter and the toilet cover goes up. Heated mattress and heaters in room. A sweet dessert which happens to be a delicacy and quite expensive I think, to be enjoyed when you arrive while having an aromatic Japanese green tea. This ryokan also doubles up as a ski resort during winter. The owner organises ski trips and is an accomplished skier and guide. There are lots of books if you can read Japanese to pass the time away.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average