Hotel Nikko Chitose

Hotel Grand Terrace Chitose
Booking.com Agoda.com eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

More about Hokkaido

just me in front of the Abashiri Central Hoteljust me in front of the Abashiri Central Hotel

seagullseagull

Limited Express Train from AirportLimited Express Train from Airport

Check-In CounterCheck-In Counter

Transportation at Hokkaido for 8 persons

by mictak

We plan to travel around Hokkaido from 8th to 21st July 2010 with total of 8 person. The major cities and tourist site we plan to visit are SAPPORO, OTARU, Hakodate, LAKE TOYA, NOBORIBETSU, Lake Akan, Lake Mashu, Utoro, Abashiri, SUNKYO, ASAHIKAWA, Furano & New Chintose Airport.

Please help to advise best option of transportation to travel this location and how can we arrange it & estimate cost.
1. By JR Rail Pass
2. Rental of Van with 8 seater
3. Rental of 2 Car with 2x 4 seater

Thanks You
Michael

Re: Transportation at Hokkaido for 8 persons

by dru46

To visit all of those places, I'd suggest renting something. The trains are fine, but if some of those places are far out there, then you'll need a car. From the list, Sapporo is a good base to see Otaru, Asahikawa, and Furano. Hakodate can also be reached by train from Sapporo easily. I'd highly recommend Furao at that time as it's the lavender season. Beautiful place to visit. If you plan to visit Shiretoko from Abashiri, you will need a car as the bus service is far and few between.

Hope that helps in any way.

Re: Transportation at Hokkaido for 8 persons

by didier06

rent a car is not really necessary in Sapporo, otaru or Hakkodate, but it's the best choice to travel in Hokkaido, may be it's more expensive than train but you win time and it's more easy to go everywhere

We did it when we went to Hokkaido during the first week of april.

We choose the company "Sky rent a car" because they offered the best prices and all was ok.

Our car was a small one for 2/3 , but for example a car for 4 was around 8400 yens the first day and 7350 yens after, a van for 8 19950 yens the first day and 14700 yens after.

You can find all rental compagnies in sapporo.

Travel Tips for Hokkaido

Kamikawa-cho, Kamikawa-gun (HOKKAIDO)

by rugbyspark

"The JET Files - teaching English in Japan"

June 23, 2003: Well, T-minus one month and about 3 days to go until I officially leave for Japan to teach English for a year. My placement is in Kamikawa town, Hokkaido prefecture. The population for my town is only 5,500 people!!! On the above map, Kamikawa is situated in the Kamikawa basin, about 30 minutes by bus to Daisetsuzan National park, the largest wilderness reserve in Japan. Hokkaido is the northernmost island in Japan. The climate is roughly the same as Alberta, but they get more precipitation. Hokkaido is the sister province to Alberta, and the capital, Sapporo, is the sister city to Edmonton.
I'm told by my predecessor, who incidentally is also from Edmonton (small world huh?), that I have a "swank" new apartment, a yellow mountain bike (which has more than one gear, YAY!) to get around on, and I am going to be a "one-shot" JET Assistant Language Teacher. A "one-shot" teacher is basically a teacher who has an office in one school, but goes around from school to school teaching (I am assigned to 5 schools), depending on the day of the week. The schools I am at are high school and junior high schools, so it should be a good mix.
Hopefully I will be updating this about once or twice weekly while I am in Japan, so check it out if you'd like the lastest!

Comments