Toyoko Inn Sapporo Susukino Kosaten

Relics of EgyptRelics of Egypt

SusukinoSusukino

Going to Tomamu in March

by Joyce_HK

For some reasons I decided to take a trip to Hokkaido on 11 March despite it is between snow fest. and flower season.

My first stop will be Sapporo, and I will definitely take a trip to a place called Tomamu. Can anyone tell me:

- Is Tomamu located in South or North of Sapporo? That would affect my schedule.

- What is the best way to go there? Can I take JR?

- how long does it take from Sapporo to Tomamu? Is it possible to go there as day trip?

Many thanks!

Re: Going to Tomamu in March

by Sharrie

Hi Joyce!

Have not heard of Tomamu but I'll check around for you. In the mean time, must you go in March? Why not in April? I'lm heading Hokkaido on Apr. 8 & will be there for a week! What about joining us in India for March? ;-)

Are you also heading Rebun Island?

Re: Going to Tomamu in March

by goshawk301

Tomamu is actually due *east* of Sapporo. It takes about 1.5 hours by JR. Yes, it is possible to do it as a day trip.

by Joyce_HK

Thank you very much for the information! I just checked that there is JR from Sapporo to Tomamu. Do I need to reserve in advance? Will the train be full if I buy ticket only a few days before taking the train. I do have problems reading Japanese on the JR Hokkaido webpage so I dunno how to make reservation online...is it possible to ask the the hotel staff in Hokkaido to help me?

Thanks again!

Joyce

by Sharrie

I think you'd be fine Joyce. As many times as I've been on the JR, I never had to prebook way in advance. Just get it when you validate your JR pass. I presume you are getting one. & you should be able to do it as soon as you arrive into Sapporo.

by goshawk301

Hi Joyce -

Re: reservation, I think it will be OK, at least if you are visiting during the week. Tomamu is a ski resort, and you are going there towards the end of the ski season. Are you going to ski?

It doesn't hurt to enquire in Sapporo, though - especially since they would have a better idea of this year's snow conditions, how crowded the resorts are, etc.

Cheers Mitsuhiro

by HawaiiGuy

Hiya... and aloha...

If I were you, if you're flying into a major airport, (Osaka, Tokyo), go straight to JR and pin down your tickets. Also, you'll have better luck with English in those towns. I work my schedule up as a spreadsheet and write "noriba bango kudasai" which will get you the track numbers. You really ought to write to JNTO and request the "Tourist's Language Handbook" which can go a long way toward solving language problems. Hint: the patient gal at JR in Sapporo seemed to know only one word: "cancel" but it was the only one I needed. GOOD LUCK!!

Baku

by Joyce_HK

Sorry for answering so late, I have been busy with a new job immediately after coming back from Sapporo!

Mitsuhiro-san, I managed to get ticket to Tomamu at ticket window the day before my trip. No reservation and it was alright! The place was wonderful with spectacular view!

Sharrie, I later on found that JR pass was no worthy because all my JR trips were very short and they added up to be a lot less expensive than a 3-day JR pass....I wish I had a few more days so that I could have been to the natural park and sapporo arts park (which is in a forest, so cool!)

Baku, it tooks overnight to go from Tokyo to Sapporo on JR, and I did not have that time (it was a short trip). I was lucky that I speak very simple Japanese (and read some of the characters because they are the same as Chinese) so I managed to communicate with them. Anyway thanks again!

Travel Tips for Sapporo

JR Tower

by aukahkay

Opened in March 2003, the view from JR Tower's 160-m high Observatory "Tower 38" is overwhelming. Around the JR Tower are major shopping centers like Stellar Place Sapporo, Daimaru, Seibu, and Isetan.

Comments