Wakkanai Sun Hotel

Travel Tips for Wakkanai

Wakkanai

by akikonomu

"I don't know?"

The guide books amused me when they mentioned that Wakkanai sounded much like the slang for "I don't know" in Japanese.

The reality of the joke starts setting in when travellers I met in Hokkaido looked at me strangely when they asked me where I had been and I answered "Wakkanai".

Being Japan's Northernmost town, Wakkanai port is also the jumping board to the neighbouring islands of Rebun and Rishiri, as well as to Sakhalin of Russia (so exotic to me).

"Town"

Wakkanai town itself is not lauded in many guidebooks though I found it interesting enough for the 3 days I was there.

Besides seeing all kinds of flowers sprouting all over the place, it is also a decent enough town to buy your Northern souvenirs, and taste delicious seafood (especially sea urchin).

The sea urchin is orangey in colour and has the fresh taste of the sea - abosolutely heavenly.

"Capes and Sea"

From Wakkanai, it is possible to visit the Northern most point in the whole of Japan (Soya Misaki) as well as Noshyappu Misaki and Wakkanai park which gives a view of Wakkanai and the sea.

Misaki = cape