Hotel Cosmo Yokohama

Yokohama Bay view from Landmark TowerYokohama Bay view from Landmark Tower

Minami Kometsuki GaniMinami Kometsuki Gani

Beer and language

by nuppe

One more from me: I will go to Tokyo and Yokohama early December. Besides looking around I will start doring a little research related to Japanese beer history. I will also have a meeting at the Kirin (beer company) factory in Yokohama. Then I should need some kind of language support, but I don't think I can afford a proffesional interpreter at this stage. Does anyone know volunteer interpretor services that could be used for such a purpose. ( I realize I maybe will have to do this more properly)

by Bigmac52

When I was in Tokyo in 2007 and 2008 I got a "volnteer guide".

It was great ! they speak enough English to converse with you and obviously Japansese as they are local.

All you have to do is set out the times you want them for - a morning or afternoon or set times such as 4 hrs ( 10.00 - 2.00 ), arrange to meet them at your Hotel and bingo off you go.

They will usually show you the sights or really just go with your itinerary.

You don't pay them as such but you should cover their travelling expenses ( cost to get to you, tube fare, meals and any entranc fees ) - in other words they should not be out of pocket.

These are local people who have an interest in foreigners and want to learn / practice English.

I can't remember the exact Website but I'm sure if you Google Volunteer Guides in Japan or something similar then You will get an E:mail address / site etc.

You then just type in what you want and when you want it and the guide that you will actually get will E:mail you to confirm your requirements, dates, meeting time and place etc

As I say I used tem x2 and it was great - they can tell you the best way to use the subway, help you buy a pass, tell you about Temples, restaurants - in fact anything you want or need to know.

by nuppe

Thank you. This was encouraging!

by huggy93

The volunteer guide website is www.hieverywhere.com
I used this when I went to Taiwan and it was very useful. You will have to load up a profile and establish some communication but I think you should have no problems. Hope you get on ok.

Travel Tips for Yokohama

Casa D'Angela - a wedding-bureau

by globetrott

Casa D'Angela is a wedding-bureau that rather looked like a posh palace for me in the first moment. In Europe we are not used to such buildings, so we had a look inside and were able to take some photos late in the evening, when the building was still open but no festivities going on any more. The receptionist there was very friendly and also a bit amused to see that this place got some attention by european tourists.

The Red Brick Warehouses

by globetrott

The Red Brick Warehouses are some remains of Yokohama's past and various goods had been stored there before or after they had been transported by ship. Some years ago these old buildings had been restored and partly rebuilt in order to make a shopping-centre out of them including restaurants and cafes.
It is really great to walk through these buildings and do your shopping !

Comments