2 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, 239-0811, Japan

More about Yokosuka

Cherry Blossoms in full bloomCherry Blossoms in full bloom

Mikasa Ship MuseumMikasa Ship Museum

Travel Tips for Yokosuka

It's what you make of it!

by hippie005

"Yokosuka Japan, USN Base"

The first day I got here, I cried from the culture shock, and I was raised by my OKINAWAN MOTHER!!! That being said, I've loved it ever since my tears dried. There are TONS of things to do, TONS of ways to get everywhere (train, drive, whatever!) and other than the prices being a little high here when you shop out in town, there are deals to be found and nice Japanese folks to try to speak garbled Japanese to! Not everyone is nice, but that can be said about anyplace you go. The Japanese have lots of technology and in places you would not even expect, like the bathroom. They have automated toilets with bidet systems built in inside of a MCDONALDS, and other such wonderous finds. The shrines are glorious and even though Americans aren't allowed in the local shrines or graveyards due to vandalism (thanks idiots) we are still allowed in many others outside of Yokosuka. I love it here. I've met a lot of people who hate it, but it is what you make of it. I think it's freaking awesome and I am going to do something new here as much as my wallet will allow.

Comments