Econo-Inn Kyoto

67 Hirai-cho, Kawaramachi-Gojo Sagaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, 600-8118, Japan
Econo-Inn Kyoto
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Econo-Inn Kyoto

Econo Inn - Kyoto

by craigt3365

"Econo Inn - Kyoto"

Just a quick note on this hotel. The cost is great, but it is a little run down (OK, maybe quite a bit). Owner is very friendly, but does not speak a lot of English. There were a few other guys who did a little better. Free internet!

We loved the location, and the price, but would have probably preferred to pay a little more to get a better quailty hotel. The bathroom is about ths size of a closet!

Bukkoji TempleBukkoji Temple

KurazushiKurazushi

Sanzen-in Temple in OharaSanzen-in Temple in Ohara

kids collecting ash after Okuribi fire festival.kids collecting ash after Okuribi fire festival.

1 Week in Japan - Scheduling Assistance!

Hi all,

We (2 couples) will be traveling to Japan on April 1, 2006, ariving in Osaka at approx 5:30 pm. We plan on getting our JR rail passes and heading to Kyoto, where we have reservations for the Kyoto Garden Hotel.

I have the following itinerary, and would appreciate any help!

April 2 a full day tour (Nijo Castle, Golden Pavilion, Imperial Palace, Handicraft Center (it's part of the tour...) Heian Shrine, Sanju-Sangendo Hall, Kiyomizu Temple)

April 3 a half day afternoon tour of Nara (Todaija Temple, Deer Park, Kasuga Shrine) - Morning in Kyoto is open...any suggstions?

April 4 we have an afternoon reservation at Saihoji (moss Temple) - any suggestions for the morning or evening? Not sure how long we will spend at Saihoji, but my guess would be 2-3 hours.

April 5 we put aside to visit Hiroshima (any suggestions for stops on the way there or back?)

April 6 we want to head to Tokyo (open on time to leave...not sure if we should get to Tokyo early or late...we leave from Osaka April 8, and have hotel reservations in Tokyo for April 7th and 8th)

April 7 in Tokyo ... we are contemplating getting a tour in Tokyo because of the limited time and because we figure we will waste too much time trying to coordinate bus schedues and itinerary while in Tokyo, but we are open to suggestions.

April 8 train back to Osaka ...we depart 5:30 pm.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to schedule time to see the Fushimi-Inari shrine, but not sure how far it is or how long it takes to get there and back. I am also open to any other suggestions on things I should see or do, that would fit into our schedule!

Thank you in advance!

Jason

RE: 1 Week in Japan - Scheduling Assistance!

by AyurinHiro

Welcome to Japan!

About Fushimi Inari Shrine,
Fushimi Inari Shrine is one of my most favorite places in Kyoto :-)
From JR(Japan Railway) Kyoto Station, please take JR Nara line train, and get off at the next station "Inari Station". (It takes less than 10 minutes).
Fushimi Inari Shrine is near from this "Inari Station".(Less than 10 minutes on foot)
You can find the shrine very easily.
Fushimi Inari Shrine is open 24 hours, 7days. and admission free.
Fushimi Inari Shrine is a huge place which includes a mountain.
If you only visit the main buildings, then it doesn't take a long time.
But if you want to climb the mountain, it will take 1 or 1.5 hours to climb to the top. Then you have to come down. So you have to spend about 3 hours there.

I like climbing this mountain. Because there are thousands of red arches(the symbol of shrine) along the way. And from the top, we can see the Kyoto basin.
--------------------------

About Japan Rail Pass,
please don't forget to buy Japan Rail Passes BEFORE you leave your country.
We can't buy them inside Japan. ( I wish I could!)
If you start using your 7-day Japan Rail Pass on your first day, you can't use it on your 8th day.
If you move from Kansai International Airport to Kyoto on your 1st day,
and you move from Tokyo to Osaka on your 8th day, then I think it is better to start using your Japan Rail Pass on your second day.
In this case, you can't use your pass on your 1st day, but you can use it on your 8th day.

I really hope you will enjoy your stay here in Japan!
Have fun!
Ayurin, Osaka Japan :-)

by jdponfil

Thank you! Excellent advice about the rail pass....I didn't think of that and we will need it to get back from Tokyo on day 8! I think we will climb the mountain too. I cancelled our Nara tour and will do that on my own so we can stop at the Fushimi-Inari shrine on the way there. I hope there is enough time to do both!

Thanks again,

by AyurinHiro

Hi again, Jason :-)

You will fly to Japan soon!
I'm sure you are excited :-)

I really hope you all will enjoy your trip!

Ayurin, Osaka Japan

Thank you! I am excited!

May I ask, do you know the best places to view cherry blossoms (I hope they are in bloom)

Thank you.

Travel Tips for Kyoto

Get receipts for immigration when buying gadgets

by joiwatani about All the shops

This is just a precautionary measure. When buying electronics in Japan, make sure to ask the store keeper or seller to give you a receipt for immigration purposes. You will probably needed this when you pass immigration going home!

When you buy an imitation samurai, make sure to get a declaration that what you bought is not a real samurai! There is a government policy in Japan that protects real samurai to get out of their country! Electronics, computers and also samurai or imitation samurai Depending on what you bought

Picture perfect food that tastes as good!

by Restless-in-kl about Ichiba-Goji

Came here on 1st night and had dinner together with fellow Vters, Ayurin, her family and Shahed. Ayurin and her husband ordered the most amazing dishes which we took pictures and they tastes so delicious. Good thing too as we decided to come back on our last night and the pictures helped us to order!

The ambience here is warm and there are 2 different seating arrangements, Japanese style and Western. Restaurant is very popular on weekends so book ahead. Sashimi what else!

Path of Philosophy

by Ines28

Between Ginkakuji Temple to the north and Nanzenji Temple to the south is the 1 km Path of Philosophy (Tetsugakuno-michi).
The path was named after the famous philosopher Nishida Kitaro, who liked to walk along this route and meditate on philosophical matters. It's a pleasant stroll alongside a canal, past numerous temples and old wooden houses. This was the first thing we did in Kyoto as it is not far from the hotel where we stayed. It was already late afternoon, so many of the temples on the way were already closed (around 5 pm), but this was okay as most of the crowds had already vanished and the afternoon sun on the cherry trees in full bloom was quite romantic!
There are many small caf├ęs along the path, but they are very expensive, so if you are looking for a snack or something you should leave the tourist route (which is always advisable!), you'll find cheaper restaurants only a few meters away.

A beautiful day...

by devmicha

On the eastern side of town you will fing a walt to remember. You head off of Higashiojji and up into the mountain where one of Kyoto's oldest, busiest and most tourist oriented shopping streets lies. It is also one of the most expensive...
You keep going up until you reach Kiyomizu Temple at the top! This temple costs about 400yen to see...
You may also walk around the many smaller shrines which are free.
One of these is the LOVE SHRINE. There are many spots to pray for love and to say thank you when you have it!
There is a test.
You stand by one stone and close your eyes and walk (EYES SHUOT!!) to the other stone. If you touch the second stone (eyes still shut!!!) you will find your love. If you miss...
Well.. Just don't miss!!
This entire area is crowded and noisy but it is worth it!!
Try to go during the week for smaller crowds.
The Temple closes at 4:30pm.

Comments