Guest House Waraku-an

View of Nijo's Honmaru PalaceView of Nijo's Honmaru Palace

Help with some locations

by Gerashin

Heya fellow travellers.
I plan visiting Kyoto soon (last February week probably) but I have some doubts about hotels and how to move there.
I need to be in a place called Pulse Plaza some part of my days and I was hoping you guys could help me arrange an hotel near that place and tip me on how to move myself around (mainly from Osaka Airport to hotel and places to see, how to move myself there).
Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

by unaS

I'm not familiar with Pulse Plaza. You might ask about it on the forum at www.japan-guide.com

But traveling within Kyoto is easy. The buses are convenient, the metro excellent and the taxis are not too expensive either - nothing like Tokyo for instance.

From Osaka airport there is a group taxi that I found the most convenient and reasonably priced, there is a train that is fine if you are not carrying a lot of luggage and an airport bus.

See here for details: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html

by Gerashin

Thanks in advance unaS.
Although the website you mention is extremely helpfull, I cant seem to guide myself trough the google maps to find hotels or Inns near the Plaza. Still, I have some time to spend so I'll just keep digging.
Thanks again :)

by unaS

I also have a lot of problem using the google maps for that sort of thing.

I think that it would be a lot easier to post the question on the forum there, just as you did here. Lots of really helpful people there. On the top right of the home page is a line of buttons in red. The 4th one is for the Forum. Or go directly here: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quedisplay.html

I used the forum there a lot when I was planning my own trip. I didn't feel lost when I arrived, knew exactly where to go for my train and which train I needed all because of that help.

P.S. I put 'Pulse Plaza' into the Search box on the site and got this:

Scroll down to get to forum questions and answers below the adverts.

Travel Tips for Kyoto

Bicycles and kids

by Skibbe

Riding bicycles in the rain on my first day there. Amazing to pass buildings that are hundreds of years old when you were just in Texas less than 48 hours before. Also, being interviewed by these Japanese school children who needed an American perspective for their class.

Sometimes "off the beaten path" is only steps away

by BorderHopper

Kyoto is a top destination for visitors to Japan and its also a large city. That doesn't mean that there aren't places where one can get off the beaten path. Even in some of the high traffic tourist destinations, such as Ginkaku-ji or Kinkaku-ji temple, a visitor can find areas that aren't as visited within the temple grounds. Many times I found myself away from the crowds & wandering through a peaceful section of a Japanese garden undisturbed. The photo I've included is on a gardner painstakingly hand grooming a moss covered slope in the centuries old Ginkaku-ji temple garden. And yes...I found him off the beaten path.

Kyoto Buses

by Rabbityama

Most travelers in Kyoto will find themselves taking the bus at some point. If you know you will be taking the bus at least 3 different times per day, you can save money by purchasing the Kyoto bus pass for 500 yen (otherwise it costs 200 yen per ride).

Be aware that the pass will NOT work for buses to Arashiyama, the Takao area, the Ohara area, or Shugakuin area. If you're going to travel to these areas, you will have to pay to ride the bus even if you have the pass.

The bus passes can be purchased when you get on the bus OR at the Kyoto Bus Center. If you get your pass at the Kyoto Bus Center (just outside Kyoto Station), you will also be given an excellent map of Kyoto with all of the bus routes AND many of the city's attractions, so you can figure out which buses will take you to or near your destination! If you arrive via Kyoto Station, I highly recommend buying the pass and getting this map at the Bus Center before you go on to tour the city!

Japanese eels anyone?

by Restless-in-kl about Unagi Restaurant

Don't really know the name as it's all Japanese. When you're in Gion, just look out for it on the same side of OKI building (just after it) and before the Kamo river.

It has model plastic dishes on the outside of the shop, so you can make your selection. Unagi of course!

Everything You Wanted to Know About Kimonos

by TexasDave

Nishijin Textile Center is a worthwhile stop to see everything related to kimonos.
There is a museum displaying many exquisite designs.
Find out about how the original designs are transferred to a pattern and then watch as a weaver works a loom.
There are periodic kimono fashion shows and , for a price, they'll even dress you up in one!
Many textile items are for sale (on the expensive side, though).

Comments