Hiroya

More about Kyoto

Oharano ShrineOharano Shrine

Sakamoto Ryoma StatueSakamoto Ryoma Statue

streetstreet

The children going to the Kodo Lecture HallThe children going to the Kodo Lecture Hall

shukubo

by dilaurorn

I am looking for Shukubo within close distance to Kyoto or Nara that does not object to americans,we plan to learn whatever we can so as not to offend by our ignorance. We really want to experience the prayers & meditations as well as shojin ryori.
Because of our itinerary;(we have one day available before we go to Nara -for one night- via Kyoto, and then back to Kyoto for a few nights before returning to Tokyo)
Nara would be best but I cannot find mention of any temples offering shukubo either in Nara (or Uji, I don't know other areas between to search)
In Koyoto I've found only names of a few places but no real information, reviews or contact details.
I find copious amounts of information about Koyasan- However, we don't really have enough time to make it worthwile.

Re: shukubo

by Pixiekatten

I think you should reconsider Koyasan. It is amazing up there and the temple longings are great!! It is not that hard to get there. We went there from Nara and it doesnt take long at all. It is also real easy to get there from Kyoto, only like 2 hours away on the limited express trains.

Have a great trip whatever you choose!

Travel Tips for Kyoto

Kyoto

by Gili_S

Kyoto is probably the most wanted city in Japan for tourist especially compare to its size. It is fantastic city for the tourist as it is not too big or crowded and of course most important, it has lots of temples and sites for the tourist who want to experience and learn a bit about Japanese history, culture and tradition.

Less frequented paths at Ginkaku-ji

by BorderHopper

Despite the crowds at some of Kyoto's more popular historic sites you can sometimes find that one spot that's not teaming with tourists. I sometimes followed a side path off of the main walkways and found little nooks where I could take in the spectacular views without bumping shoulders with the next guy.

I'm here

by huggy93

Already shared a few of my insights of getting to Kyoto... so all that's left to show you in this transportation tip, is this photo was taken at the point that I arrived. When I took the photo I was a bit apprehensive as I was really missing the 'friend' that I had left in Tokyo and at this point all I wanted to do was get on the next train back.... I'm pleased that I stuck it out and remained here for at least a little bit.

Smiling ;-)

Higawari - lunctime set!

by j-san about all over Kyoto at lunchtime

"Higawari" is a word you should learn. It means the lunchtime set. It takes the stress and often cost out of eating lunch - as long as you dont have any particular religious or otherwise, food requirements or preferences! I should mention here that pork is often a feature of cafe higawari sets and that for vegetarians things like tuna, ham, chicken stock etc. are not considered meat and are in almost every meal! A Japanese-style set usually includes: a main, a few small dishes, salad, rice, pickles and tea. Sometimes for as little as: 500Yen!! Be warned though that portions are perhaps a third of those in North America though.

get dressed up as geisha/maiko!!!!!

by nathasha

yes a truly wonderful memory for a lifetime!!!! there are many places to do this, but i love the area of kiyomizudera as it is so historical and beautiful place, truly the old japan!!!

read my step-by-step guide on how to do it in my kyoto travelogue :))))

thank you - arigatou gozaimasu!!!!

Comments