Hotel Granvia Kyoto

JR Kyoto Station Karasuma Entrance Karasuma-Dori Shiokoji-Sagaru Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto, Japan
(4.5 star hotel)

See Amenities
valle's Profile Photo

Enjoyed my stay

by written on March 8, 2008

We stayed 3 nights at Kyoto Granvia Hotel from Feb. 27 to Mar 1, 2008. We paid Yen 17,600 per night, all taxes included. We booked a room for my wife and I, thu the hotel website.

Arriving from Nagoya by Bullet Train at the Kyoto Train Station, we just walked a little bit inside the Kyoto Train Station and the hotel lobby was right there on the 2nd floor.

We stayed on the 11th floor facing the front with city view. It was nice and quiet. We did not hear the trains or any other noise at all. The bus station was right in front of the hotel, where you can take the bus to most of the tourist destination.

I posted photos at www.geocities.com/kyotogranvia

Room was clean and comfortable. It is an upscale hotel but not as luxurious as the Nagoya Marriot Associa Hotel located on top of the Nagoya Train Station.

They charge a fee for the swimming pool which they said was very small. I was very happy with this hotel. I would definitely go back if I were in Kyoto.

alluringworld's Profile Photo

One of the best locations in Kyoto

by written on May 2, 2007

Hotel Granvia is centrally located. We booked a twin room which costs us about US$200. It is above the Kyoto JR Station and the bus terminal is just a few steps outside the hotel. From the bus terminal, you can take buses to go to almost every hot spot in Kyoto. It is also just next to JR Isetan. On the 7th floor (or was it the 8th floor of Isten) is the Kyoto Tourist Information Office. A little costlier than some hotels but the hotel services, amenities and location well compensated it.

Unique Quality: You will get a great view of the Kyoto Tower on one side of the hotel. On the other side, you'll get a good view of the Kyoto JR Station.

Granvia: One of Kyoto's Best

by written on June 14, 2006

I've stayed at the Granvia many times and have nothing but the best to say about it. It is one of the best hotels in all of Japan and among the best in the world. It is a bit pricey, but it is first class.

Unique Quality: Easily accessible from Kyoto Station and Kyoto City.
English speaking staff.
Nice restaurants.
Great views.

Directions: Central train station.

xtephen's Profile Photo

Its worth paying the price to get this location

by written on June 5, 2006

I stayed 5 days in Kyoto. 3 days in a business hotel and two days in Hotel Granvia. The business hotel was servicable, but nothing special. The Granvia rooms were very nice, but as is expected with Japanese rooms, a little small. The room really isn't the selling point of the hotel though...its the location. Being part of the Kyoto station complex makes it the ideal launching point for your daily excursions. Staying there saved me at least an hour each day of transit time. (Usually an hour of walking) The natural question with this hotel is "Is it worth it to pay a higher price to get this location?". I would say a resounding YES to that question. If I were to do it over, I would have forgone my bargain hunting tendency, and just paid the higher Granvia price for all 5 days. It would have been worth it.

UKDaisy's Profile Photo

A very nice hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2006

The rooms are big and very clean. Directly across from the Kyoto Tower. Located within Kyoto Station, with access to many shops and restaurants. I would recommend this hotel to all future Kyoto visitors. Free internet access in the guest rooms.

goshawk301's Profile Photo

Hotel Granvia Kyoto

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 20, 2004

The Granvia is a stylish hotel that is a part of the very stylish JR Kyoto Station building. The room I stayed in was smallish by an American standard, but by no means did I feel hemmed in, and I found the contemporary western decor with a Japanese touch very pleasant. It had a full suite of amenities, both Japanese (such as yukata) and western. The bathroom is western but with a washlet, and the extra deep bathtub was great! My room faced away from the train yard and it was completely quiet, but it didn't have any view. Free, high-speed internet connection (wired) was much appreciated, although the short DHCP lease cycle bugged me a bit. The only bummer: the coffee for the coffee maker in the room was not free (but tea bags were).

There is a wide range of eating options, both within the hotel and in the larger station complex. I had tempura in one of the hotel restaurants; it was very good but it set me back quite a bit!

JR Pass holders can get a discount rate for the stay (also at other Granvia and JR-affiliated hotels); you should book by phone to get the rate.

Directions: It's part of the JR Kyoto Station.

Nearby Hotel Granvia Kyoto

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Kyoto Travel Forum

Need advice about Kyoto, Japan? Visit the Travel Forum for Kyoto and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kyoto hotel reviews

Taxis
Pig and Whistle
Subway
Transportation
Tadg's Irish Bar (Formerly McLoughlin's)
Public Restrooms