4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

JR Kyoto Station Karasuma Entrance Karasuma-Dori Shiokoji-Sagaru Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto, Japan

Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• valle's Profile Photo

Enjoyed my stay

We stayed 3 nights at Kyoto Granvia Hotel from Feb. 27 to Mar 1, 2008. We paid Yen 17,600 per night, all taxes included. We booked a room for my wife and I, thu the hotel website.

Arriving from Nagoya by Bullet Train at the Kyoto Train Station, we just walked a little bit inside the Kyoto Train Station and the hotel lobby was right there on the 2nd floor.

We stayed on the 11th floor facing the front with city view. It was nice and quiet. We did not hear the trains or any other noise at all. The bus station was right in front of the hotel, where you can take the bus to most of the tourist destination.

I posted photos at www.geocities.com/kyotogranvia

Room was clean and comfortable. It is an upscale hotel but not as luxurious as the Nagoya Marriot Associa Hotel located on top of the Nagoya Train Station.

They charge a fee for the swimming pool which they said was very small. I was very happy with this hotel. I would definitely go back if I were in Kyoto.

• alluringworld's Profile Photo

One of the best locations in Kyoto

Hotel Granvia is centrally located. We booked a twin room which costs us about US$200. It is above the Kyoto JR Station and the bus terminal is just a few steps outside the hotel. From the bus terminal, you can take buses to go to almost every hot spot in Kyoto. It is also just next to JR Isetan. On the 7th floor (or was it the 8th floor of Isten) is the Kyoto Tourist Information Office. A little costlier than some hotels but the hotel services, amenities and location well compensated it.

Unique Quality: You will get a great view of the Kyoto Tower on one side of the hotel. On the other side, you'll get a good view of the Kyoto JR Station.

• Granvia: One of Kyoto's Best

I've stayed at the Granvia many times and have nothing but the best to say about it. It is one of the best hotels in all of Japan and among the best in the world. It is a bit pricey, but it is first class.

Unique Quality: Easily accessible from Kyoto Station and Kyoto City.
    English speaking staff.
    Nice restaurants.
    Great views.

Directions: Central train station.

• xtephen's Profile Photo

Its worth paying the price to get this location

I stayed 5 days in Kyoto. 3 days in a business hotel and two days in Hotel Granvia. The business hotel was servicable, but nothing special. The Granvia rooms were very nice, but as is expected with Japanese rooms, a little small. The room really isn't the selling point of the hotel though...its the location. Being part of the Kyoto station complex makes it the ideal launching point for your daily excursions. Staying there saved me at least an hour each day of transit time. (Usually an hour of walking) The natural question with this hotel is "Is it worth it to pay a higher price to get this location?". I would say a resounding YES to that question. If I were to do it over, I would have forgone my bargain hunting tendency, and just paid the higher Granvia price for all 5 days. It would have been worth it.

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

A very nice hotel

The rooms are big and very clean. Directly across from the Kyoto Tower. Located within Kyoto Station, with access to many shops and restaurants. I would recommend this hotel to all future Kyoto visitors. Free internet access in the guest rooms.

• goshawk301's Profile Photo

Hotel Granvia Kyoto

The Granvia is a stylish hotel that is a part of the very stylish JR Kyoto Station building. The room I stayed in was smallish by an American standard, but by no means did I feel hemmed in, and I found the contemporary western decor with a Japanese touch very pleasant. It had a full suite of amenities, both Japanese (such as yukata) and western. The bathroom is western but with a washlet, and the extra deep bathtub was great! My room faced away from the train yard and it was completely quiet, but it didn't have any view. Free, high-speed internet connection (wired) was much appreciated, although the short DHCP lease cycle bugged me a bit. The only bummer: the coffee for the coffee maker in the room was not free (but tea bags were).

There is a wide range of eating options, both within the hotel and in the larger station complex. I had tempura in one of the hotel restaurants; it was very good but it set me back quite a bit!

JR Pass holders can get a discount rate for the stay (also at other Granvia and JR-affiliated hotels); you should book by phone to get the rate.

Directions: It's part of the JR Kyoto Station.

More about Hotel Granvia Kyoto

A Remarkable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pertinax

For my wife and me the Granvia was the perfect hotel for Kyoto. I suppose if I were twenty I'd prefer to be in the northwest of the city sleeping on the floor, steeping myself in the culture of Old Kyoto even in my hotel room. But I'm not, and I was bowled over by the luxury of the New Japan, a hyper-modern feat of architecture growing organically out of the award-winning design for the Kyoto railway station. You don't sweat out the hour of your arrival getting a taxi and then finding the way to an inn. You rise majestically with your luggage (since we were on a round-the-world trip, that meant three pieces each) to the lobby floor, and from then on are cosseted by a well-trained and gracious staff. Our room was elegant, with all mod cons a leap ahead of the wave: an over-sized flat-screen television monitor, lighting panels that allow you to choose the mood setting for the room, and of course the much-discussed interactive Japanese toilets. You can get used to all of them pretty quickly.

The in-house Japanese restaurants were of a high standard; the western one was so-so, but when you arrive at an odd hour it is very welcome ... and welcoming, too. The lobby-floor bar has a half-price happy hour that makes Suntori's most expensive malts affordable, and they're worth it.

It goes without saying that as a transportation hub the Granvia is matchless. Remember that you're living right over the main raliway station. All forms of public transportation (and private too, for that matter, since the hotel will quickly arrange a private car for any outng you wish) are simply an escalator moment away. When you take a taxi to an out-of-the-way temple, you go equipped with a series of directions in Japanese provided by the concierge. That means you get to see a lot of things you would otherwise miss. And if you want to go to other cities in the province, Nara for instance, you just take the elevator down into the main station and are whisked away. And yes, the bullet train too comes right to the foot of the hotel.

Of course you don't go to Kyoto for the hyper-modern. But Old Kyoto is right there for your mornings, afternoons, and if you're in the mood, evenings. It's a contrast, all right, but that's part of its beauty. Thesis and antithesis. We thought it was great..

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member CCRR

As almost everyone else has stated previously, the location is great. You can get off of the train and the hotel is just a few steps away. Our room was spacious, but provided no view to speak of. Although after dark we could see the lights shining through the train terminal and we were able to see Kyoto Tower. We booked directly through their web site and paid under $150 per night. From the hotel's location you can easily take the metro, trains or buses all over. There are also three temples within walking distance of the hotel. We were looking for an obscure little spice store in a very remote area of Kyoto, and the concierge was very courteous and mapped out directions and which buses to take to get there. We didn't eat at the hotel. There were too many wonderful places to eat in Kyoto as well as "The Cube." I highly recommend Andersen's. The pastries are delicious -- I'm still dreaming of them -- and two of us were able to eat very well for under $10.00. The only drawback is that they don't have coffee, but there's a coffee place just a couple of steps away or you could also grab a coffee upstairs at Cafe Du Monde. A suggestion for dinner would be downstairs in The Cube where they feature a deli style food court. You can try little bits of everything. Several places have free samples. It's inexpensive and really good! Our feet were killing us from being out and about all day so we used the food court to make up a picnic and then took it back up to the room to rest and relax with our bounty. Only one caveat: if you decide to go to the food court try to go before 7:30pm. The commuters flood the place from about 5:00 to 7:00, so after that time the food merchants start to run out of some of the best goodies. There are also some great restaurants on the top floor of the train station that are more upscale, and most seemed to be reasonably priced.

Booking with Orbitz

by muffet08

Hi and help please!
My friend and I are traveling to Kyoto and have booked our hotel room the Granvia with Orbitz (internet hotel booking service)
We will not arrive in Kyoto until about 7pm.I have asked Orbitz to advize Granvia but they said they could not hold the room until after 4pm.Is this usual --- do you have any idea what to do?

by liqdstar

Did you try calling the hotel yourself and telling them you will be arriving late?

RE: RE: Booking with Orbitz

by appleseed81

i think it'll be useless trying to call the hotel as most likely they can't speak proper english... (unless ya fluent in jap)

is there any cancellation charge?

if not, you can try booking with this site... http://www.coo.ne.jp/english/

very reliable n good rates... good luck!

by yvr

Most internet travel agencies when booking a hotel room ask for a credit card for guarantee arrival. This means, the room will be held for your regardless of when you arrive, and if you don't arrive a one night charge will be made against your credit card.

RE: RE: Booking with Orbitz

by liqdstar

It's a large business hotel in Kyoto. I'm pretty sure they would speak English ;-)

They should hold your room for you, they do have you cc #. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com
Seems like other people had probs when booking online too, so might be best to be safe & call and confirm.

by yvr

why don't you just book this through a local travel agency, they can do it right the first time.

by ms_maya

Hello

I am travelling to Kyoto in July and like you, I will also be arriving at Kansai Airport at about 6 p.m. and then have to take a train (1½ hours) to Kyoto. I have booked online into Hotel Station Kyoto (due to its location). I explained to the hotel on the phone and gave them my flight times, etc. and they were more than happy to hold my room for me. Perhaps you could try speaking direct to your hotel, I am sure they will accommodate you.

Best regards