Hotel Mystays Kyoto Shijo

52 Kasaboko-cho, Shijo-dori Aburanokoji Higashi-iru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, 600-8494,
Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Kyoto

Ryoanji's LakeRyoanji's Lake

Shosei-en's BokakakuShosei-en's Bokakaku

Musicians on the floatMusicians on the float

Kitano Tenmangu ShrineKitano Tenmangu Shrine

Booking at Imperial Household Agency for Katsura & Shugakuin

by Melanie_Putra

We plan to visit Shugakuin Imperial Villa and Katsura Imperial Villa when we are in Kyoto beginning of December. I know that we need to make advance reservation for tours at both places. However, the online reservation is already full. I read that you can go to the Imperial Household Agency on the day itself to enquire about availability. However, the Agency is pretty far from both the Villas. Would I be able to go personally to the Agency a few days earlier and book if our online booking attempts were unsuccessful? Upon our arrival on Friday Dec 3rd in Kyoto we can go to the Agency (since that is the day we will be joining the Imperial Palace Tour, which we managed to book online). So it will be good if we can put down our names for the the next week for the other 2 Villas. There will be 4 of us for the tour at each place.
Thanks,
Mel

Re: Booking at Imperial Household Agency for Katsura & Shugakuin

by Rabbityama

As far as I know, the reserved tour spots can only be taken on the day of the tour, so whatever day you wish to tour them, go to the Imperial Household Agency early to try and get your tickets!

Since you will be at the Imperial Palace for the tour, I would suggest arriving earlier or staying later and going to the Imperial Household Agency (which is very close to where the tour meets for the Imperial Palace) and ask. The worst they can tell you is that you can't reserve it early. You may get lucky and they may accept the reservations...

If you do have to book on the same day, be sure to have a back-up plan for the day in case you don't get the tickets. Also be flexible, because you may get in a tour at an odd time of day.

Good luck!

Re: Booking at Imperial Household Agency for Katsura & Shugakuin

by Melanie_Putra

Hi Rabbityama,

Thanks for your feedback. I already got back-up plans incase I can't get in. I think it is just too much stress and hassle to have to go to the Agency on the day of the planned tour itself and I really hope it can be done a few days ahead..

Mel

Travel Tips for Kyoto

Walking around Kyoto

by sandrafiza

So, is Kyoto a walkable city to see the sites or will I need to get on buses between places? I don't mind walking.

Hummmmm. I don't remember whether Kyoto ia a walkable city or not. It just that I like to walk. So usually we take a bus to one place and after visiting the temple or etc, we start walking. Sometime it a bit far but along the road you will discover a lot of new place or shop that you will miss if you take a bus or train.

Oh btw, you can get the "Kyoto City Bus Guide" in english at the tourist counter or you can go to http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/ Cause I saw some tourist having trouble getting around Kyoto by bus.

Actually you can get all guide in english in Japan, you just have to ask. Most of the time they don't put it in the brochure rack but they keep it. They will only give when you ask.

Shoes

by yukisanto

please wear shoes which are easy to take off and wear. You end up having to remove and put on yoru shoes each time you visit a temple or shrine as they don't allow footwear inside. It can get irritating when you go to a few temples in a day.

Speeding bullet (Tokyo-Kyoto)

by Restless-in-kl

Took the Hikari 409 Shinkansen (JR bullet train) from Tokyo to Kyoto. Here are tips for an enjoyable ride :
- Ask the information counter for platform number as it's quite confusing in the Tokyo station
- If you would like to see Mount Fuji, ask for a seat on the right of the train. You'll see it approximately 1 hour out of Tokyo
- Washroom and toilet here are fabulously clean after the disaster at Tokyo station

The Crazy Snackbar

by Pixiekatten about ????????????????????????????

This is such a cool place. Very very different from anything I ever seen in Japan!!

I was taken there by a friend at night after having a few glasses of wine. It's the perfect night-time snack bar. They serve an okonomiyaki-like dish which is grilled outdoors. Very tasty!

The decor is great and what makes the visit her real fun. At every table manequin-dolls are seated, dressed in kimonos. On the walls they have loads of 'wooden prayers' like at a shrine or temple allthough these are very different. Instead of prayers these got naughty drawings. There's also miniature rooms on display, full of cool japanese things like furniture, food, dolls etc. And dont forget to check out the wee statues when going to the toilet!! (Do you know name and address of this place? Please let me know!!)

Toji Temple

by bladedragon

This temple is one of the UNESCO World Heritage designated site.
When I went here the weather wasn't that friendly, so I just walk around the temple ground, but didn't get inside.
Entrance fee is ¥ 500.