Matsubaya Inn

Higashinotoin Nishi-iru, Kamijuzuyacho-dori, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, 600-8150, Japan

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• traveldream's Profile Photo

Ryokan: Japanese-Style

When we arrived here, we were greeted by a nice old lady, Kumiko Hayashi, who then took us to our room and showed me where the bath room and toilets are. The room is spacious, especially because it's a tatami (Japanese straw mat) room--no beds. When going to sleep, unfold the futon (Japanese mattress/blankets) from the closet at the corner of the room. All the Japanese-style rooms are not furnished with a private bath, but private use of a common bath is available.

Service:

- Yukata (cotton robe)
    - Towels
    - Tea set & cookies
    - Slipper for outside the room, inside the inn
    Note: You'll have to put off your shoes when entering the reception area. Shoes are stored inside the inn at the genkan before entering the reception area.

Facilities:
    - Common bath and toilets
    - Free internet access for 20 minutes
    - Toll parking
    - Laundry

Unique Quality: A wooden Japanese-style inn, with Japanese-style rooms ( tatami room with futons for sleeping).

Directions: 10–15 min. walk from JR Kyoto Sta., north direction. In front of Higashi-Honganji Temple, turn right, pass the store with many statues (a bit creepy at night). It's at the right side.

• avi888's Profile Photo

a little traditional ryokan

Unique Quality: Traditional Japanese style ryokan. Great way to experience the Japanese culture. Reasonable cost. The only thing was the walls of the rooms were very thin. It was quite easy to hear what your neighbours were doing (or snoring!!)

Directions: The host will email a map of how to get there. It is about 10-15 minutes walk from JR Kyoto station. It is directly opposite Higashi-Honganji Temple.

More about Matsubaya Inn

a little traditional ryokan

by avi888 about Matsubaya Ryokan

Matusbaya Ryokan is located quite central in Kyoto. There is a 10-15 minutes walk from the JR Kyoto train station. It is a small inn, belonging to the Japanese Inn Group. I looked for it by doing a search on their web site. It was generally a good experience. The host was very nice with warm hospitality. There was a computer for internet access. Curfew was until 11pm. All rooms do not have a ensuite. However the bathrooms are for private use. There are 2 bathrooms with large baths. Its a small inn with 2 floors, total of 11 rooms. Traditional Japanese style ryokan. Great way to experience the Japanese culture. Reasonable cost. The only thing was the walls of the rooms were very thin. It was quite easy to hear what your neighbours were doing (or snoring!!)

Ryokan: Japanese-Style

by traveldream about MATSUBAYA INN (RYOKAN)

Service:

Facilities:
- Common bath and toilets
- Free internet access for 20 minutes
- Toll parking
- Laundry A wooden Japanese-style inn, with Japanese-style rooms ( tatami room with futons for sleeping).

Our room at Matsubaya RyokanOur room at Matsubaya Ryokan

• Dec 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM

RYOKAN FROM HELL

My husband and I had a horrifying experience at Matsubaya Ryokan.

When we check-in at Matsubaya Ryokan, we informed the reception that our sister will come and meet us from Tokyo. By the time she arrived, it was 10pm. The old ryokan owner wouldn’t let her in because it’s too late, made her wait outside for 15 mins in cold weather of 5°c, while my sister trying to explain that she meet us and leave in few mins. The old ryokan owner doesn’t even want to call our room number; instead he made my sister wait outside in freezing temperature. She had to phone us to take her in.

Next day morning, my sister met us at Matsubaya Ryokan and my husband took her in our room. Ryokan staff acknowledged and said nothing about it. We had a quick chat in our room and carried on our travel schedule. We returned to Matsubaya Ryokan around 8:30pm. The old ryokan owner said to my sister in Japanese, she briefly knew he said “You wait here.” She replied: “Ok, I understand.” We waited by the stairway and didn’t know what he want, we waited like fools and nothing happened. So we went up to our room, later on, I came down to get some water. The old ryokan owner asked me:”What’s your room number?” He ran upstairs and banging on the door like a psycho shouting: ”YOUR SISTER, GET OUT!!!!!!!” My husband explained that my sister will pick up few items and she is staying in another hotel and will leave soon. The old ryokan owner said: ”NO, I SAW HER LUGGUAGE.” He came downstairs and I said to him: ”my sister is staying in another hotel, she isn’t staying here.” The old ryokan owner was so arrogant that he ignored me and went into reception. My husband was so furious, came down and requests an apology of his rude attitude, said in basic English “Man, you don’t say that to my sister. You are rude and you say sorry!!!” he was nervously looking at his PC scrolling up and down completely ignored us and said:”I don’t know English!!!” I replied: ”You said GET OUT and you don’t know English?????” The old ryokan owner kept silent.

The old ryokan owner was so rude and cold hearted, and we were so traumatized by his attitude. My sister has been to Japan many times and she has NEVER been treated this way. She felt so discriminated and insulting!!!!!!

Well, the WORST is yet to come. Next day at check-out, there is no lift at this ryokan so we asked reception to carry our luggage down. After a young guy (maybe son of ryokan owner) took our luggage down, my husband noted his suitcase was prised open with tools. This has never happened, even during flight transporting. Meanwhile, when we were on express train to airport, we found out that side handle of my suitcase has been deliberately broken and the handle was missing. We really couldn’t believe what we saw and what happened to us. This is Japan and we felt so shocked that the family is so vicious and evil.

The “no guest” policy isn’t stated on their website and we weren’t informed by any of ryokan staff. If we knew we wouldn’t have stayed 2 nights here. At the price of 12,810 yen (USD $130) per night at traditional ryokan, you will expect something nice, but instead we are paying them to treated like ***. This is the WORST travel experience ever and this has deeply destroyed our Kyoto trip. The whole place feels like a student hall, not a ryokan. Even dormitory staff won’t treat you like criminals.

I couldn’t imagine a Japanese old man, acting like a psycho and shouting out loud at guests. Majority of Japanese are nice and kind, unlike this old man. I feel sorry and ashamed for you, sir. At your age (around 75 years old), we are surprise to see you acting this way and your behavior is very immature and inadequate as a ryokan owner. You represent your ryokan business and it has deeply destroyed your image and reputation. Shame on you, family of Matsubaya Ryokan!!!!!!!!!