433 Yamamotocho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, 604-0933, Japan

Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• smallfry's Profile Photo

A great experience in Kyoto reasonable price

Hotel Nishiyama is a modern Ryokan experience with a wonderful, friendly staff, decent-sized rooms, a fantastic public bath and all in a great location. We stayed at Nishiyama for 4 nights, each one as enjoyable as the next. The room was comfortable and spacious enough for both of us, plus the staff was eager to assist with any request. When we checked our bags earlier than standard check-in time, we expected to see them waiting in the lobby when we came back, but they had been moved up to our room. They allowed us to use the laundry for free, even though it is for business use primarily. We found it very convenient to be able to access the internet in the lobby to check weather reports, email, last-minute trip details. The garden waterfall was incredibly relaxing from our room, the lobby and the bathhouse.

Unique Quality: Wonderful friendly staff speaks a decent amount of English and are willing to accomodate almost anything you could ask for. The small-inn feel of the place really makes it a nice enjoyable experience.

Directions: Short walk from the Tozai Line of Kyoto Subway

More about Nishiyama Ryokan

Ryokan in Kyoto (traditional Japanese hotel)

by sum2004 about Nishiyama Ryokan

I wasn't thrilled of my stay in this ryokan. I think it was too pricey for its quality. Breakfast was traditional Japanese but you had to make a reservation in between 7.30-8.30 to have one. I found it really inconvenient.
The girls in the reception were very very helpful and they did so much for me to retrieve my lost in bullet train camera. Thanks to those girls i got my camera back! There are public baths as in every ryokan but they are at the basement.
There is a complimentary wi-fi internet connection in the lobby area.
You can plan your daily sight seeing on the nice brochures that are offered freely next to the reception.

Hotel Nishiyama

by Yakkity

Does anybody know about this ryokan hotel ? It is near the Kyoto City Office which is near the Shiyakushomae subway station . Is it a good choice, esp location ? Will be going to Tokyo & Kyoto in mid-April. Need a ryokan place to stay. Appreciate any advise. Thank you.

Re: Hotel Nishiyama

by j-san

Central, right near the tozai line, main bus lines and basically walking distance from town center. I live near there and as I am not entirely unfit, and the walk is pleasant, I often cross the Oike bridge and wander East to the nice temples on Higashiyama. Perfect weather for it now!

Not in a historic area, but then not much of kyoto is these days.?@Also, if you go out to eat at night, or for a walk along Pontocho, you can easily wander home. Absolutely no need for a taxi in that location.

by Yakkity

Thanks for the info, j-san. I better keep my legs for the walking around the tourist attractions as there are so many places to visit ( + hoping from hotel to hotel ) in so short of time ... 4 days ! That leave us only 1 day to do Day trip .The question is which one ... Arashiyma, Nara or Himeji ?? Any recommendation ? Also, just wondering, is it worth visiting Nijo castle ? Heard that it's so large and takes a long time to visit . Any advise is welcome !

by j-san

if you have so little time, i would say dont go to himeji. Arashiyama is basically the western side of Kyoto (VERY easy for you to get to from where you'll be staying) but very different of course, I like it. I went the other day, feel free to look at my pics: http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jitkasan8/album?.dir=/891d

I would suggest Nara for the BIG Buddha. hmm difficult. I wonder if anyone else has other opinions on this?

by goshawk301

I agree.... Not that Himeji is unworthwhile (far from it!) but it's much further from Kyoto than the other two places mentioned. One will be basically going from one end of Kansai to the other; it is certainly doable as a day trip, but expense-wise one might be pushing it.

There is a lovely original castle in Hikone that is closer to Kyoto; you can visit it on the way from Tokyo, by hopping off shinkansen at Maibara and taking a local train to the next station.

Re: Hotel Nishiyama

by Yakkity

Thanks for both of your advises . My only regret is not discovering Japan earlier .... only have one more year to stay in this region ! We have not finalise our itineraries yet for this trip but once I do, I may need your advise again, please !

Comments