Nodaya

More about Kyoto

Entokuin's Zen GardenEntokuin's Zen Garden

Jojakkoji Temple's hondoJojakkoji Temple's hondo

Yasaka ShrineYasaka Shrine

Hey,sisters! Wait for me!Hey,sisters! Wait for me!

Getting around in Kansai

by meimivw

My trip to Kansai will be less than a week away and I am feeling excited and scared since this is going to be my first solo trip. Thank you for all your help and I promise that this will be my last question.

I am getting a headache just trying to figure out what to do to get around in town. I am planning to go around Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kurama, Fushimi and possibly Uji. I know it's easier going with a tour but with the dollar getting weak, I want to make sure I enjoy every single yen.

I was wondering what is the preferable method that many of you used during the trip there. I know there's the Kansai thru pass and Kansai area passport. But a lot of people also recommend to just use the one day pass that are sold by each city. I'm not sure what the pro and cons to using the city pass instead of the area pass. The city bus pass looks cheaper than the area pass but I was wondering if this is a good idea.

Thanks!

by heywinks

From Kyoto to Nara to Osaka you can take the subways or JR. It's not too expensive so I wouldn't recommend a train pass, unless it's a one day.
In Kyoto, get the 500yen city bus pass. It's a one day, all day pass. The best way to get around. The bus station office right outside JR Kyoto Station is where you can get the pass (You might be able to get it when you first get on the bus too). They have an excellent map (English available) that shows you how to get to & from the main tourist sites.
In Nara, once you get to JR Nara Station, you can walk around the town or take a bus. My friend & I just wandered around on foot, no problem. It just depends on what you want to see in Nara. The main sites like Todaiji Temple, the art museum, and the 5 tiered Pagoda are within walking distance.
In Osaka, you can take the subway around...Hankyu Line, Midosuji Line, etc.

by wathy

I think it will depends on which city you will stay.
I am living in Osaka, and i will always use Hankyu train for going to Kyoto and after that buy 500yen bus pass at any convenience store.
(but be careful that this pass not available for Arashiyama, famous spot for red leaves)

Just for comparation, from Umeda Sta. to Kawaramachi Sta. by Hankyu only cost 390yen, but by JR from Osaka sta. to Kyoto sta will cost you 540yen.

And If you plan to visit Osaka Aquarium, a ticket set for entry fee + subway pass is a good choice also.
You can take subway & city bus all day full in Osaka by this ticket.
Price : 2500 yen (2000 yen entry fee + 500yen subway pass)

There are also same kind ticket for Hankyu, Nankai, Keihan and the others kind of train but a little bit expensive than subway.

Have a nice trip in Kansai :)

Cheers,
Rita

by hiro11

There's 500yen one-day pass of the bus, but everytime I use the bus, it irritate me. It's crowded sometimes,so I have to stand in the bus as if I were in my daily commuter's hell. I don't like it.

Now I am enjoying to ride my bike in Kyoto.
So, as to sightseeing small city Kyoto, I recommend to rent a bike in Kyoto. Here's the site, Touring Kyoto By Bicycle

However, the fee in the site is expensive,I think. So, If you have a interest of the sightseeing by bike in Kyoto, I recommend to stay some hotels or guesthouses provide their own rental bike. I don't know much, but generally their rental fee is cheaper than above site .

My site about Kyoto ( http://www.geocities.jp/woof163eng/mykyoto.eng.html ) might help your trip (under construction, though...). (there's one of hotels provides rental bike for free)

And other nice guesthouses also have rental bikes.
K's House (http://kshouse.jp/ )
J-Hoppers (http://www.j-hoppers.com/index.htm )
both are near Kyoto station.

Travel Tips for Kyoto

How do you learn the Art of a...

by Geisha_Girl

How do you learn the Art of a Geisha? Nowadays, since there aren't too many people who are willing to endure the rigorous training, the number of geisha is decreasing. Young girls who wish to become a geisha are usually introduced to an 'o-chaya' through someone who has a connection to the teahouse. The head woman of an o-chaya, called 'okami', interviews the girl and her parents, and provides details of the training. If the okami accepts the girl as an apprentice to her o-chaya, the girl can begin her training immediately and live in the o-chaya. Once in training, the girl cannot quit for 5 to 6 years. Along with doing chores around the house, the young girl learns customs and social skills and begins music and dance lessons. After about a half-year, she becomes a young geisha called a 'maiko.' From this point she develops the knowledge on how to interact with customers by accompanying the geishas. Once the girl decides to officially become a geisha, a ceremony is held entitled 'erigae.'
However, one does not have to learn the life of a geisha by living in Gion. There are ways you can incorporate the ancient practice of a geisha into your modern life. With some practice, patience and a little planning even the most dull relationship can get a healthy boost from this. In order to become the geisha girl - first and foremost you need to ensure that your attitude is good. Feel the power within yourself to be someone who can deliver sensuality to your partner.

Gion Area.

by A2002 about Gion

Go to Gion area and have a walk to enjoy the vibrant night life in Kyoto. Not as vibrant as what I saw in Kobe, but not too bad.
There are many restaurants for dinner too. We went into a restaurant that is quite crowded with fantastic atmosphere. We ate something like tempura with salad. The sauce is quite special with sesame seeds. yummy.... Special sauce for the salad too.

Junidanya

by shenandoah about Junidanya

Junidanya is several hundred years old, a stopping-off place right in the heart of the Gion District. It has both an English and a Japanese sign. They are used to foreigners. If you're lucky, you'll catch a glimpse of a maiko (geisha trainee) making her way to a private party. Traditional and basic but VERY tasty menu items...everything is very fresh and well-prepared. Eel is excellent, and you won't be overcharged.

The Silver Pavillion

by akikonomu

Try going early in the morning to beat the tourist crowd. It is really beautiful and serene in the morning.

Stroll through the garden and if you're visiting in autumn, you can see the blooming camellias. The pine trees, raked sand add to the beauty of the place.

Climbing up the slight hill to get the aerial view of the pavillion and Kyoto city is good morning exercise.

The 1001 buddha statues temple

by xaver

This temple is probably the closer to the railway station and it is popular for the room where it contains the 1001 statues of Buddha.
I did not dare to count them so I cannot witness if they are really that many, but the quantity is definitly impressive.
The statues are all made of japanese cypress.
124 statues were made during the 12th century and the remaining 876 in the 13th century when the temple was renovated.
Inside the room of the statues you cannot take any picture and you must leave your shoes outside.
The temple ticket was 600 yen.
Opening time: 8:00 to 17:00 (9:00 to 16:00 from Nov 16 to Mar 31)

Comments