380 Oukakuencho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, 602-8011, Japan
Booking.com Expedia.com Agoda.com

More about Palace Side Hotel

Standard budget hotel

by unaS about Palace Side Hotel

In Japan budget hotels are called 'businessmans hotel'

The Palace Side Hotel is a standard budget hotel. My single room is large but no closet, only an open niche with 3 hangers.

Good enough for the price.

Close to the Karasuma line - couple of minutes walk.
Quiet and pleasant area with easy travel to wherever.
Free internet in the lobby with a 30 minute limit.

Coin laundry, vending machines and kitchen available to guests.

Still gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. The location is very convenient - close to the underground and far enough from the center to be quiet and pleasant. Just across the street from the Old Imperial Palace. The gardens of the palace are the view from the hotel.

Free internet - the time limit is not always enforced, pick your hours carefully :)

Map provided on their site.

Japan Garden Tour 2009

by kazuoTsuchiya

"2009 Japan Garden Tour"

Kyoto-Kiyomizutera jojuen.
Headquarter of priest of kiyomizutera. This is not open for public. You must make a reservation to see it.

**We have done japan garden tour 2008, 2009. This year we will be kyoto around 10/19 in order to see the Jidai maturi. which is one of the best festival in Kyoto.
When we are in Kyoto. We always stay at Palace Side Hotel. This hotel is a very reasonable price and convenient area for everything. Front stuff persons are very friendlily and they speak English .Don't forget ask them about restaurant around neighbor.

murin en Kyoto. This was a villa of former prime minster.

Gnnko Restaurant in Kyoto.
This restaurant is a very reasonable prices. You would be surprised.

Myoshinji Temple GroundsMyoshinji Temple Grounds

Toji Temple gardenToji Temple garden

Treasure House in Toji TempleTreasure House in Toji Temple

Hawaiian Shaka!!!Hawaiian Shaka!!!

Hotel suggestion in Kyoto and Tokyo

by Pomerol

Will be in Kyoto and then Tokyo from May 8 through 12.

Hotel search is a bit overwhelming so I am hoping that some fellow VT'ers can make some recommendations.

Looking for hotels close to public transportation around or under 30,000 yens a night.

Thanks in advance

by Gili_S

In both cities my tips indicated such hotels I just stayed last summer.

by unaS

In Tokyo I really liked the Asia Center of Japan. Be sure to note that you want the Annex to get the less expensive rooms:

Full details on my Tokyo: Tips/Hotels & Accommodations page.

by Pomerol

Thank you all for your suggestions.

by unaS

In Kyoto I stayed in the Palace Side Hotel. It is a standard 'businessmans' [read: budget] hotel with regular facilities.

My single room was large but there was no closet, only an open niche with 3 hangers. Nice room, 5th floor, good view with the former Imperial Palace Park across the street.

Good enough for the price.

Close to the Karasuma metro line - couple of minutes walk.
Quiet and pleasant area with easy travel to wherever.
Free internet in the lobby with a 30 minute limit.

Coin laundry, vending machines and kitchen available to guests.

Still gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Map provided on their site.

Osaka, Kyoto, Nara Ideas

by Ryanh856

Hi,

I work in South Korea but I've just scheduled a trip to Japan. I already bought my plane ticket (I fly into Osaka) and Kansai Area train pass, and I will be there solo for 4 days. I need help with an itinerary. I was thinking I would see Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara over the course of 4 days. What are the best places to go/things to see over such a short stay? And how do you think I should plan my trip? I was thinking I would try and do a day in each city. Also, I need help picking accommodations; I'm interested in cheap hotels, hostels, or something of the like. If anyone has recommendations for these 3 cities or any other places in the area, please help me out.

Many thanks

Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Nara Ideas

by SfumatoPants

Kyoto has a convenient one day bus pass for tourists that comes with a map of all the sites. You purchase this pass from the tourist office in Kyto station.

some info here:

As for hotels, In Kyoto try:

It's brand new and although I haven't stayed there yet, I have some familiarity with the company that built it and they do very interesting things.

Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Nara Ideas

by imolinar

I would spend 2 1/2 days in Kyoto and 1/2 day in Nara. Nothing much to do in Osaka, so maybe the 4th day, but Kyoto would be better.
In Kyoto we stayed at the Palace side hotel, it was ok and it cost about 100US.

Japan accommodation

by Goienaga

Where can I find affordable lodging arround japan a friend of mine and me will be there in July first two weeks, we would like two separate beds twin rooms, we don't care about bed or japanese style futons but separated. Thanks a lot.

by unaS

Where in Japan? I can give you the name of a hotel in Tokyo or in Kyoto, but don't know if those cities interest you...

by Jawnuta

can you tell us what affordable is for you? What is the maximum per day you can afford on a bed per one person?

by Goienaga

tokio and kioto and those cities that can be interesting.

by Goienaga

·30-50 € per person per night.

Japanese hotels give prices in Yen. The rate today is 40.00 Euro = 5,327.78 JPY
(1 EUR = 133.195 JPY)

Also in Japan budget hotels are known as 'businesmans hotel'.
The two that I used are below.

The hotel that I would have recommended in Tokyo does not have twin rooms in the Annex (the less expensive older part of the building, only double). The newer part building is more expensive.
You can check the exact rates here:

In Kyoto I stayed in the Palace Side Hotel. A standard budget hotel with a lovely view of the Old Imperial Palace gardens.

They are not yet offering rooms for next July, but the current rates can be seen here:

The prices are quoted *per room*, not per person.

Have a great trip!

by Jawnuta

We paid 12600 JPY per room for two people in Tokyo (see my Tokyo Tips for address and e-mail to BAN hotel) We had the room with 2 beds.
The hotel was located next to Tsukiji market, where you can get very inexpensive food.
Most of minshuku and ryokan that we were staying were below that price + full breakfast and dinner.
Those places usually do not have anyone who speaks english, therefore the best way to get a room is to arrive and ask for it.
We never had any problem with finding an accommodation while driving through Japan. However few times we decided to treat ourselves and stay in fancy places where price was more like 13000JPY per person.

Travel Tips for Kyoto

Furou-en, a Japanese...

by flowergrl

Furou-en, a Japanese Home-cooking style restaurant.
Traditional Japanese-style house, 1/2 of which has been turned into a restaurant.
The presentation of the food is LOVELY! Each of the plates which the food is served on is different ... so even if you order the same meal as another person, the tray will look different. Some of these plates are quite old. Some may even be antiques. This is Japanese home-style cooking at it's best. I always order a 'teishoku', since it is a main dish served with rice, miso soup, potato salad, pickles, and another couple of small seasonal dishes, Besides having a set teishoku menu (fried shrimp, steak, hamburger, etc), some menu items change each month. These are the ones I love. Usually there is one each of pork, fish, beef and chicken, cooked in special sauces (which are not necessarily Japanese).

GINKAKUJI TEMPLE

by Adeline_Foo

Visit GINKAKUJI TEMPLE or Silver Pavilion. Ginkakuji Temple, a Zen temple, was established in 1482 by Ashikaga Yoshimasa, the 8th Muromachi Shogunate. Yoshimasa, following Kinkakuji Temple Kitayama den built by his grandfather Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, built villa Higashiyama den to spend his retired life. Ginkakuji is the common name, and formally it was called Higashiyama Jishoji, taking after Yoshimasa's posthumous title after his death.
Walking thru the Philosphoy Path during the Cherry Blossoms period. This is so beautiful! Crowded where everyone is taking photos but it is so beautiful. Words can't decribe it. You gotto experience yourself. See my travelogues for the cherry blossoms photos

Monkeys! (Arashiyama)

by vic&michael

Arashiyama is a romantic day trip, with a park, and a river to row boats on. But, you cannot miss the monkeys! You have to climb a small hill to get to the monkeys, but it's well worth it, and, if lots of little kids can do it, so can you! The monkeys are free range, and it's the visitors who go inside a hut with fencing so they can feed the monkeys with penuts. They are just fascinating to watch, with their distinct & quirky personalities, and their intelligent eyes. The monkeys do tend to have an obsession with grooming each other though! Careful not to stare at the monkeys in the eyes, or they feel challenged and may show aggression! You will get some awesome photo closeups and chances to take funny monkey photos. Check out mine in my Travelogues!
There's an observation platform as well, where you can look out over Kyoto city.
The opening hours are everyday between 9:00am and 4:30pm.

Comments