The Westin Miyako Kyoto

1 Awadaguchi Kachocho, Higashiyama-ku, Sanjo Keage, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 605-0052, Japan

Hotels.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

HUGE hotel needs to speed up renovations !!!!!!

First thing when you enter this hotel is that you notice is that it has a small front desk area for such a large hotel ... this hotel must have at least 500 rooms !!! On the website; it states they are renovating the rooms, so as a SPG member I was expecting to receive one of the new rooms !!!! NO DICE !!!!! I was given a room that must have been at least 25 years old !!!!! We were so tired that we didn't ask to change the room and just took it !!!!! No Heavenly beds that Westin is known for and very uncomfortable pillows !!!! Size of the rooms are typical Japanese... a bit small .... and the bathrooms were tiny !!!!!

Again the website says free wifi throughout hotel !!!! FALSE !!!! only in the lobby !!!!!

Location is OK, not the best.... but a metro stop is about 2 minute walk away !!!! Kyoto is a medium size city so getting around is a breeze ....

The concierge service was great and useful .... there is no stores next to the hotel so buying water and snacks aren't a options .... Hotel restaurants are out of this world expensive !!!!! Breakfast was 3200 Yens !!!! about $40 US .... we passed !!!!! we took the train to a couple of stops and bought water and snacks at a 7-11 instead !!!!!

We paid 15,000 Yens a night about $200 US dollars a night .....

Would stay here again BUT I WILL ASK FOR A NEW ROOM ...

Communications was OK, everyone spoke very basic English .... the concierge did speak excellent English and was very helpful.

Also the hotel offers free Shuttle to Kyoto train Station and a couple of other stops .... the only thing is that there is no signs at the Kyoto Station to tell you where the shuttle stops, so we ended up speaking to the Tourism office inside the station where they spoke great English and they gave us a map and showed us were to get the shuttle .... The website is very poor in explaining where to get the shuttle.

• xaver's Profile Photo

Luxurious

This is a starwood hotel, definitly a high standard accomodation that we could afford for a web special offert of the hotel, a twin beds room was about 90 euros which is definitly a great deal for Kyoto standard.The hotel location is not the best one, but as many hotels in Kyoto, they have a free shuttle bus that runs from the railway station to the hotel and vice versa.Shuttle busses run any 30 minutes.

Unique Quality: They have a concierge office at Kyoto station where you can leave lagguages.

• The Renovation Was A Success

A beautiful and luxurious hotel that doesnt break the bank and truly deserves its four star status. We stayed in a standard "superior" room, which was bigger than other hotel rooms which I have stayed in in Japan, well decorated, modern with excellent facilities and spotlessly clean.

As we were travelling with our 18 month old son obviously his wellbeing and comfort was our main concern. After just 10 minutes at the hotel those concerns were at ease due to the cleanliness and facilities on offer during the stay, you can even buy nappies from the hotel gift shop in the basement, though they are a little pricey.

The hotel restaurants are mainly prohibitively expensive, but the Aqua Blue cafe on the second floor is reasonably priced with excellent food. The "Todays market fish" was particularly good, and for breakfast room service was not out of the question, pricewise.

The staff were extremely helpful, and spoke english very well, and the overall ambience was one of relaxation and luxury. Exactly what you need after a hard day marching around mountain temples.

Unique Quality: There is an amazing viewing platform on the ninth floor with great views over the city, if you find yourself jetlagged and unable to sleep go and have a look in the middle of the night as we did, stunning.

The complimentary shuttle bus is very handy if you time leaving the hotel right.

The bathroom is very well stocked with all the toiletries that you will need.

The accomodation for young children is superb, with very safe and stable baby cots provided upon request.

Dont worry about any past negative reviews of this hotel, after the completion of the renovations you can now see why it has been a favourite with foreign dignitaries such as Prince Charles and Lady Diana, and Ronald and Nancy Reagan for over 30 years.

• Tradtional Japanese room with the modern amenities

This was an incredibly unique experience. The room was a traditional Japanese room (but with Western toilets!). Everyone going to Japan should stay in a room like this at least once.

Unique Quality: We had a traditional Japanese wooden bath tub which was really nice. To use the pool was extremely expensive and not really worth it. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well-kept.

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

as good as promised

An all-around excellend hotel I would stay at again. The rooms are large, clean, and well furnished, and the en-suite bathrooms luxurious. The pool and hot tub are great and the hotel is very child-friendly. It lives up to its promises and is good value.

Unique Quality: There is nice little nature trail on the hotel grounds, a 2 km walk in the woods and hills. It start off with a few hundred long shallow steps going up a hill. The small Ohyaku-inari Shrine is at the top of the hill, along with some good views.

Directions: Very close to Keage Station on the Tozai line. If coming in by train, you can check-in at Kyoto Station.

More about The Westin Miyako Kyoto

The Westin deserves a great reputation

by lesaandbill about Westin Miyako Kyoto Hotel

We flew in from Oz...so we wanted a nice, comfortable bed for the night and there is nothing like a Heavenly bed at the Westin. We ended up getting a deal on their website for $88AUD...and we were impressed by the swanky new hotel.

Many rooms in Japan are smoky...so make sure you ask for a nonsmoking room... Also...they have a shuttle..but it starts at 9 or 10am and stops at 6pm. Otherwise it's a $20AUD cabride.

Otherwise...the food, service and everything was excellent. Probably one of the best things about this hotel was the convenience of being able to drop off our luggage...and pick it back up in the kyoto station. It was first class...and especially convenient because we shot up to tokyo on the bullet train and just took our backpacks. The views from the hotel are great...and the gardens were amazing. We didn't stay long...but want to go back...

American Luxury in Kyoto

by misodiva about Westin Miyako Kyoto

The hotel and the rooms were breathtaking. We used some hotel points to get a room that we otherwise could not have afforded. Unfortunately, that meant that we couldn't really afford the meals. The cheapest meal would have been 30,000 yen breakfast for two. Dinner for two was usually around 150,000 yen. Not to say the food wasn't good.

One thing was we saw a lot more caucasian people than we did at any other time during the trip.

Services was a little slow and the information desk didn't quite seem as friendly as some of the others. The hotel was quite warm, although we were able to control the temperature on our room. In the kids playroom there were two internet computers, but no printers. Also they were in japanese, but if you know windows explorer pretty well you could figure out what button's to push to get to the websites you needed.

The Westin Miyako is lovely

by TripAdvisor Member inthistogether

I just returned from two nights at the Westin Miyako in Kyoto. After reading a couple of negative reviews here, I was afraid I might not like the hotel. However, I can tell you that the hotel is great. I was upgraded to a junior suite (starwood platnum) which was a wonderful room. Lunch in the restaurant was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel location is good - a bit out of the way, but right next to a subway station which is only 3-4 stops from the city center. There are nice views from the hotel and it is in a quiet natural environment. I can't beleive anyone would not enjoy this hotel.

Westin Miyako: a miserable experience

by TripAdvisor Member deebama1

I had carefully planned a trip to Japan and reserved a Japanese room at the Westin Miyako. The room was very disapppointing, looking worn and scarred. It had a TV from the 1950s and a view of the AC unit from another room. I asked to move to a western style room. After settling in, a friend and I needed something cool and refreshing on a hot day. We went to a cafe in the lobby and I waited and waited and waited for service. No one even looked in our direction. Finally, I called someone over for service and it was provided ungraciously. I complained to the manager who was apologetic. Also, I asked for an upgraded room and the desk attendant was rude. I must emphasize that this is in a hotel that prides itself on catering to the "finest" and it is relatively expensive. I was extremely disappointed with the Westin Miyako. The experience ruined our stay in Kyoto. The management met with me and attempted to remedy the situation but, it was too late to correct the negative experience. I strongly suggest that anyone visiting Kyoto consider another hotel. If you visit Tokyo, the Westin Tokyo is totally opposite the Miyako. It has great service and was a wonderful experience.

Stay Here- Bed and Breakfast...

by gokbaser about Azukiya

I am sooo glad we stayed here. After reading so many reviews and comparing prices etc, we decided to go with this place... It was recommended by another Ryokan, since they were closed for renovations. I am so glad they were. This was what we exactly wished for. A small Japanese house that is clean, warm and private... And it is so inexpensive compared to its similar counterparts.

This Japanese house is owned/operated by a lovely girl in her 30s. The house was owned by her Grandmother and she is now renting the rooms. There are 3 rooms. We stayed in the room that overlooks the garden. A very small japanese garden that is. The owner studied in Ireland and she learned about Bed & Breakfast type stay over there. She serves traditional Japanese or English breakfast. We stayed 5 nights and alternated between them... Both were great. She even gave us a key to the house after 2 nights, since she saw that we were OK with making our tea, etc...

The place is well known to most young Japanese urban travelers and mostly full on the weekends. So book in advance. It is right across from the Westin Kyoto and I AM SO GLAD we didn't stay at the Westin. It looks like it is Japanese style from the pictures but it is not... I think Westin wins because of it's great location, and Azukiya also benefits from it. It is 30 seconds walk to the Subway and we were able to get out almost every evening... Walked on the streets etc...

Btw, we stayed at Park Hyatt Tokyo, then a nice Ryokan in Hakone. But this place wins by far since it was a good find... and a great value. Don't expect 5 star hotel or anything American... However, if you want to get a feel of Japanese living, hospitality and cleanliness this is the place to stay.

recommendations - biking in Tokyo

by crewrower

I will have about 5 hours to go bicycling this Sunday in Kyoto. I was in Kyoto once in 2003 and remember taking a bus out about 1+ hours from the city center to a park with lots of tall pines and a river flowing through. I might like to go cycling out this way, or someplace else around Kyoto that would be interesting.

I will be with a group of colleagues. My preference is to bike out of the city into the countryside, so recommendations for that would be great. But if you have a recommendation for a ride within the city that you'd like to share, please do that too--- my colleagues might 'overrule' me and want to take in the city sites since we all have a very limited time in Kyoto (just this weekend).

Thanks!

Chris

RE: recommendations - biking in Tokyo

by Cyncyn

I don't know where you are starting the trip in Kyoto. But nowadays, the bus is very convenience inside the city. Last year, I stayed in Kyoto for almost 6 weeks. I usually travelled by bus inside the Kyoto city for one day pass to travel inside the city costs only 500 yen. And it can take you to go to the famous places including the "Golden Shine" and "Silver Shine". Of course, you can still hide a bike near the Kyoto train station. Before that you can try to get the bus route map in the bus station for your reference as well. If you are really want country side feeling, do you think of Nara ? There is a park full of deers and lakes. That city is small , I hired a bike near the train station but beware that there are slopes to climb to see one of the old buddish temple. If you are starting from Kyoto, you have to take the JR to go to Nara. It takes almost 35 mins by JR. I hope this helps!

RE: RE: recommendations - biking in Tokyo

by crewrower

Thanks cyncyn, I'll be staying at the Westin Miyako Kyoto. I think my colleagues and I will hire our bikes from the Westin.

Thanks for your suggestions about Nara, etc., but unfortunately we'll have no time for that. I think we can go biking from about 8am until noon or 1pm, then we have to catch flights back to Shanghai. I would like to plan out a roughly 70-80km ride from the Westin hotel. The route would ideally go into the countryside; I was in Kyoto in 2003 and remember the tall pines. I thinking biking out there and back would be good fun.

Anyone know the place? Can anyone direct me to an online map?

Thanks,