Dejima, was the gateway to Europe
Dejima was a fan-shaped artificial island in the bay of Nagasaki that was a Dutch trading post as Japan’s only open gateway to Europe during Japan’s self-imposed isolation of Edo period from 1641 until 1853.
The Dutch East India Company's trading post at Dejima was closed in 1857.
Since then, the island has been surrounded by reclaimed land and merged into Nagasaki: its original location is marked by rivets.
A project to restore Dejima is underway.
In 2000, five buildings including the Deputy Factor's Quarters were completed and opened to the public.
In the spring of 2006, the finishing touches were put on the Chief Factor's Residence, the Japanese Officials' Office, the Head Clerk's Quarters, the No. 3 Warehouse and the Sea Gate.
[Back to Nagasaki-City]