Hollander Slope is slopes of a stone pavement at the Higashi-yamate district where European people walked along the slope during Edo and Meiji period.
Since it considered those days that all Europe people come from Dutch, it came to be called Hollander Slope.
[Back to Nagasaki-City]
-Direction : A 10 minute walk from Oura Tensyudo Tram Station
Sightseeing in Nagasaki
"Night view of Nagasaki"
The night view of Nagasaki is beautiful because of its geographical features.
In Nagasaki, houses are built on lowland along the harbor, in the steep mountain slopes and near the mountain top.
Because of above setup, glittering lights of those houses surround the port and are reflected on the water.
Visitors to Nagasaki appreciate the “million dollar night view”.
At night Nagasaki glitters like jewelry around harbor.
In prewar days, Nagasaki was specified as a strategic zone. It was prohibited to publicize the beautiful night view and it was almost unknown to the public except for the local people.
"Old Dejima Seminary"
From the completion of reclamation work in 1636 to end of 1859 when Japan’s isolation policy was lifted, Dejima, a tiny man-made island was used as “invisible fetters” to confine Portuguese first and later Dutch people in line with Shogunate policy.
After the departure of Dutch trader, the first Protestant Episcopal Church in Japan was built there in 1875.
A seminary was constructed at its side two years later.
In 1887, after the church was moved elsewhere, the seminary was expanded into what it is now.
It is representative Meiji architecture with a history of more than 100 years.
"Glover residence in Glover Garden"
T,B. Glover was born in 1838 near Aberdeen in Scotland.
Glover established Glover & Co. with his brother and single handedly trades firearms, gunpowder and warships with various daimyo governments, scoring an immense success.
An 1867 record lists Mr. Glover’s personal residence on his rented lot at No.3 Minani Yamate.
When the house was dismantled for repairs as part of a cultural asset preservation program, an India ink marking for carpentry made in 1862 was found on window pane.
Therefore, the house is presumed to have been built around that time.
The house is highly valued as the first Western-style structure introduced to Japan and was designated as an Important Cultural Asset in 1961.
"Ringer Residence, in Glover Garden"
Frederick Ringer was born in England in 1840, and he worked for Glover & Co. after arriving in Nagasaki.
In 1868, he started his own business, jointly establishing Home-Ringer & Co with Englishman R. Home.
Ringer mainly engaged in tea trade, and later he exported Japan-produced coal to Russian warships calling at Nagasaki and acted as an importer-dealer of English machinery and tool.
Theory has it that Ringer built his residence in 1868 shortly after launching his trading firm, the structure is nearly square in shape with southern side veranda cover with granite stone with Amakusa stone columns standing.