Nara Hakushikaso

Nara Hakushikaso
Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

More about Nara

Yakushiji TempleYakushiji Temple

Julia leaps with a deerJulia leaps with a deer

front of the izakayafront of the izakaya

stood the test of timestood the test of time

Please I need some help if possible

by QLR

Hi I'm going to Nara for 5 days in October,
and I have some question, which I hope some of you can help me with.

a) I have heard that there is a temple where you can stay in the city of Kamo close to Nara. Can you get me a telephone number for this place?

b) There should be a bus from Nara to Osaka airport. At what time does it depart from in the morning?

c) Can you recomend a one day hike in the Nara area. Maybe where you both see nature and temples?

And finaly I have heard that there in Japan should be some gigant mazes (see my question in the Kyoto forum). Do you know of one of these in the kyoto / Nara area?

I know it is a lot of questions but I hope you can help me. Or maybe you have an email adress for the yourist information?

Yours sincerely

Mads Blom

RE: Please I need some help if possible

by Cyncyn

hi Mads Blom, I went to Nara on July. When I travelled Nara, I found it was not a big area. I started from Kyoto to Nara by JR train. So I don't know how to go there by bus but I think if you don't know Japanese it's better for you to take JR train in Japan. And train is a convenient traffic in Japan. You can get on JR train in the Osaka airport. I have been to Toji temple which is the oldest temple in Nara. You can go there by bus or you can rent a bicycle. You can go to one of the tourist information centre in Nara where you will find any information of Nara. It is located near the JR Train station, by walk only takes 15-20 mins. You can find english version of map and information there.

Sorry I didn't hear about Gigant Mazes.

But you will find there are lots of deers inside the park of Nara easily.

Hope it helps !

cynthia

Travel Tips for Nara

Nara's Most "Endeering" Image

by Confucius

Oh no, another VT Nara page with deer puns! Yet all tourists leave Nara with a warm recollection of the friendly deer that roam freely through Nara Park and on the grounds of Kasuga Shrine.
The temptation to combine "dear" and "deer' into one sentence is almost as strong as the temptation to feed the deer that sour plum rice ball that you've been carrying around in your pocket since Osaka.
Special deer sembei (Japanese crackers) are sold by attendants to ensure that proper nutrition is given by the herds of tourists who visit Nara Park and Kasuga Shrine. I put a deer sembei in my mouth, not so much to taste it for myself but rather to pose for a photo offering it to the most docile deer I could find. The resulting exhibition was the talk of the town as Japanese schoolgirls covered their mouths in a collective giggle and pointed to the strange foreigner ("hen na gaijin").

Lot of students everywhere

by jlvillalba

I went in low season, but, anyway, my impression is that the place can be full of tourist, but the resort is so big, and full of parks, that you can easily move, and the longest distance vthere is 30 minutes walking.

Nara National Museum

by Rabbityama

The Nara National Museum is among the best museums in the nation, especially for those interested in Buddhist art. The museum is filled with amazing Buddhist sculptures, paintings, and other artifacts. You can easily spend half a day in this museum looking at all of the exhibits. Inside there are stands that advertise "English guides". These individuals are not guides in the sense that they give you a tour of the museum: They are there to answer questions. If you are interested in the art, these guides have a lot of information to offer IF you ask the right questions.

The trick is to ask open-ended questions (Ex: "What is a mandala?", "What is the meaning of this?", "Where were these used?", "Who/What does this statue depict?") These types of questions will get them talking. You can learn a lot about Buddhism and Buddhist art if you have the time to talk!

The entrance fee is 500 yen however, special exhibits can raise the price up to 2000 yen.

Temple-guards of the Buddha-hall

by globetrott

The giant temple-guards of Todaji Temple
are looking very grim in order to protect the temple against bad spirits and ghosts and in my last photograph you can see the giant size of them against the small tourists passing by them while entering the temple: these wooden sculptures date back to the year 1199 and are about 8,5 meters high.
In my 2nd photo : the temple-guard is standing on the head of a bad creature

Deer everywhere

by meeshelmybelle

I hope that I got this right, so if you are from Japan, and I chose the wrong Nara off the list then please let me know.

So I visited a town called Nara in Japan. It is a city full of deer. There are many open areas in this city where the deer roam. There are guys whose job it is to de-antler the deer. I guess it for the safety of the poeple that they do this. So that the deer dont fight with each other, men go around, capture a deer and cut off its antlers.

THis city is also home to a famous giant bronze buddha. I went there with my Japanese cousin who speaks no english, and I speak no japanese, the entire time we pantomimed our emotions about the buddha. I dont think we understood each other, the only thing that we could really kind of talk about was punk music. he is very much into punk and really liked the band Green Day which was having a concert in Tokyo that week.
ANyways, Nara is a somewhat small town with lots of older buildings and shrines and parks.

Comments