Hotel JAL City Naha Okinawa

More about Okinawa

Street in Okinawa CityStreet in Okinawa City

Transportation

Hi.
I am heading to Okinawa around the second week of April and I have been trying to find out how to get there from the end of the JR rail line at Hakata. I cant seem to find out any information about buses or ferries, costs and timetables on the internet or in books. Everything I find talks about flying. However I am hoping there is a cheaper option.
I will also need to get from the islands back to Osaka to fly back to Canada.

I also heard that in order to get to the southern keruma islands, you have to book your ferry 2 weeks in advance. Is this true?
Any information would be greatly greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

by olddude

Well, currently the ferry from Hakata runs to Okinawa 5 times a month. It costs 14,480-36,160 yen depending on berthing. Trip takes about 25 hours. The company that operates the ferry is "Ryukyu Kaiun". The Hakata pier is about 20 minutues from the Hakata train station by taxi. There should be more info on alternatives to www.jnto.go.jp Which Keremas Island in particular would you be going to? The ferry to some are only once a week. I have the phone numbers of the ferry companies and the flights and fare to the most traveled to islands if you need them.

by okinawa_wave

Olddude is on the mark...My suggestion would be to fly if you don't have much time. You don't save too much money by taking the ferry and in some cases it can me more expensive than flying. As for the Kerama Islands, Olddude gave some sound advice about first deciding on a destination. The more popular islands (Tokashiki, Aka, and Zamamai) should have daily departures depending on weather conditions. You shouldn't have to book 2 weeks in advance since April is off season, but it never hurts to be on the safe side. Good luck!
Kenny

by T-Lynn

I would love the timetables for the ferry schedule. I ended up booking a flight to and from Naha, which was cheaper than I thought it would be!
I was thinking about going to Zamami but if you have any recommendations, that would be great!
I also would like to head down to Iriomote-jima, but I only have 9 days in Okinawa, so time and the ferry schedule may make that difficult.
Cheers

RE: RE: Transportation

by olddude

You are going to have to go down to Tomari Port in Naha when you get there to get the most accurate timetable. Ferry schedule is very loosely time based because it is weather and tide dependent. However, if you go to the link I previously posted you can get a basic schedule for the major islands. I have a link for the other isalnds, but it is all in Japanese.

Thanks

Hey!
Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it!

Re: Transportation

by aquaslav

seems you have chosen your method of getting to Okinawa but you missed the best way - the ferry trip. I would like to know the schedule for the ferry going to Kagoshima from Naha -- time and cost but most importantly who do I call from overseas to make the booking. I need to book urgently as I arrive soon and want to leave in a couple of weeks via ferry

Travel Tips for Okinawa

Best food in Okinawa!!!

by jimmyjimmy858

There is a salt factory on the way to to Ikei Island... I have no idea what the name was (maybe it was Yukishio), but there is only one salt factory in the area. Just ask around once you are in the area and you will find the place. The entrance is right off the main road. Definitely worth checking out. Just thinking about this restaurant makes my mouth water. I have lived in Okinawa for a total of 2 years, and this is the best food Okinawa has to offer (great desserts too).

The other "best food" is the Kobe tenderloin steak at the Four Seasons Steak and Lobster joint. There are 6 locations in Okinawa that I know of so it should be easy to find. I have to warn you that Kobe beef is a bit pricey, but I promise that you can taste the difference.

Comments