1203 Maeganeku, Onna-son, Okinawa Prefecture, 904-0414, Japan
Travelocity Agoda.com Expedia.com

More about Okinawa

Cape HedoCape Hedo

Should I visit Okinawa Late June Early July?

by leeauntan

Hi there, I am planning my trip to Japan for next summer and would like to go to okinawa at the end of June which is the end of the rainy season there. However I heard that typhoon season starts in June? How high normally are the chances of being hit with a typhoon late June to early July? And when does it start getting really busy with visitors?

Thanks!

by Bilimari

The rainy season ends sooner in Okinawa, so if you go there late June - early July, you'll probably avoid the rainy season. The typhoon season starts around the same time, but usually it's not as active as it is in Aug-Oct. You'll have fun in Okinawa. I wish I could go, too. :)

by GrumpyDiver

We looked at something similar when we were planning our trip to Japan about 5 years ago. From what my research seemed to say is that while the typhoon season technically starts then, the storms, if they hit at all, tend to be milder than later on in the season (September / October).

We ended up not going to Okinawa, but spent time elsewhere in Japan. School holidays start at the end of July, so things get busier then. If you are looking at travelling elsewhere in Japan, rainy season can extend into early or mid-July and it is extremely hot and humid. Not a time of year I would recommend visiting...

by Odinnthor

Bilimari is pretty much spot on. You should, with just a pinch of luck, be able to go there between the rains and the typoons.

Don't miss the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, - likely the best aquarium in the world.

If you have not heard of it, explore the website a bit. I once took a small group of enthusiasts (advanced oceanography students and professors) to Okinawa, primarily to visit the aquarium, and got to see a lot of behind the scenes. It is spectacular. Have fun.....d:o)

Travel Tips for Okinawa

Pack Lightly

by sundanz

There are laundries here so pack lightly. Our luggage was delayed 3 days from usa, so pack complete change of clothing in your carry-on We were here during the rainy season, bring an umbrella, if not for the rain, to shade yourself from the sun. Comfortable walking shoes a must. Bring all your own meds including any over -the - counter items you may need. Pharmacies do not sell all products that are available in usa. We had a digital camera, but saw lots of Fuji photo stores that sold disposable camreas, film and offered film developing the weater here was hot and humid, leave the shorts at home, crop pants work well.

Comments