Kumejima Island Eef Beach Hotel

548 Janado, Aza, Nakazato-son, Shimajiri-gun, Okinawa, Okinawa Prefecture, 901-3107, Japan
Kumejima Eef Beach Hotel
Hotels.com Tingo.com Travelocity

More about Okinawa

Enterance to Okinawa WorldEnterance to Okinawa World

okinawa trip advice

by muromachi

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a trip I’m planning to Okinawa for some American study abroad students based in Kyoto.

I am particularly interested in hearing any traditional live music and dance or modern music influenced by traditional sources such as the Ryukyu Underground. Does anyone know where could find any cool music or other interesting events on the following dates, Feb 28th to Mar 3rd?

Also we are planning on going to one of the touristy theme parks. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be better for a group of American college students, Okinawa World or Ryukyu Mura?

We only have 5 days in Okinawa and two of them are travel days. Our itenarary is as follows..

2/27- Arrival in Okinawa.
Go to hotel on Kokusai dori.
Explore Kokusai dori and the market place.

2/28 Visit one of the military bases for a tour.
Go to Shuri castle.

3/1 Visit the Japanese Navy underground HQ, the Himyuri caves and the peace museum. Go to a dinner show at Eiko Miyazato’s House of Performance Arts in Naha.

3/2 I’m not sure what to do on this day but I would like to visit either Okinawa world or Ryukyu Mura and do one other thing. Any ideas?

3/3 Morning free
Afternoon Departure

If anyone has any advice on changes that could be made or good restaurants or interesting things to see near the places we are going, please let me know. Any advice would be really appreciated. I know it’s an incredibly short trip but were coming from Kyoto so at least we won’t be jet lagged.

Much thanks,
Dan

RE: okinawa trip advice

by olddude

For American College students, I think that they will get more out of Ryukyu Mura than Okinawa World. The sister of a friend of mine works there and makes Okinawan glass. If you have time that day you might want to take them up to Mihama (or do that after you visit the American base). Which base are you touring if I might ask and who is sponsoring you? I recently spent 3 and a half years attached to Kadena AB. Let me check and see if there are any festivals sched for that week for you and I will get back to you in a couple of days for more ideas. About the music, there are a couple of places to hear traditional music. One is Zanpa in Yomitan, but I do not when they have performances. There are also traditional music bars on Kokusai Dori as well as a couple in Koza, but I wouldn't turn those kids lose in Koza. I can check on others for you. Your hotel may even have brochures with ides on what to do. Here is a good link (some of it is a little out of date) for all things Okinawa.

Travel Tips for Okinawa

Okinawa Peace Park

by sorcieus

Peace Prayer Park is located in the southern part of the island, off route 331. It was built in 1995 and displays the names of both Allied and Japanese who died during the Battle of Okinawa

The park is nicely done. A marble marker reads, "...the Cornerstone of Peace will help spread the peaceful spirit of Okinawa and will contribute to everlasting world peace." Despite this, I found it disconcerting that an exhibit located in an adjacent building featured the drawings of child survivors of the Battle of Okinawa. The majority of the drawings showed Americans bombing and otherwise killing Okinawan civilians. Needless to say as the only Americans visiting this portion of the park, we felt extremely uncomfortable. There is a similar sentiment at the Japanese Naval Headquarters located nearby.

Comments