Dai-Ichi

More about Osaka

Yum! tunaYum! tuna

JR Station PlatformJR Station Platform

THE FOODTHE FOOD

The tower at the centre of the Castle groundsThe tower at the centre of the Castle grounds

Looking for locals

by JasonLaw

I will be heading to Japan in February from the 1st to the 13th. I will be flying in and out of Osaka.

I was in japan for 2 weeks in may this year, I had the best fun when I was hangin out with some of the locals. I speak only a small amount of broken travellers Japanese atm (I am studying with rosetta stone, and getting better), and i will be taking my girlfriend who will speak even less than me.

does anyone know any locals in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima or anywhere in between who might be keen for a few beers with some Aussie tourists?

Cheers!
Jason.

by angiebabe

have you had a look at travel pages written by VTers - which can also include local VTers having put those travel pages together - also in the travel guides where the travel pages is an option to see which members live there at the destination - then you can click on the VTers names and go to their home pages and make contact with them there
so these forums arent the be all end all to VT - actually many VTers dont visit the forums here or they do infrequently - theres a wealth of info, time spent and contactability in our VT travel and home pages

by Bilimari

I agree with above. When I travel, I contact VT members in that area for specific advice, etc., and often times meet with them while I'm there, which makes the trip even more special. :)

by angiebabe

me too!ive had a great time meeting locals when Ive been out on my travels!

by angiebabe

meeting local VTers I mean....

by Rabbityama

If you cannot find a VTer, you can also try other websites, such as CouchSurfing, which is designed with the purpose to meet (and stay with) a local wherever you want to go:

by AyurinHiro

Hi, from Osaka :-)

Welcome to Japan!

Yes, I agree with the postings above.
And when I travel, I usually post "Meeting information" in the meeting & event page.

By the way, I'm living in Osaka and I(and my husband and my mother) love VT meetings! (We've had more than 60 VT meetings)

But,I am pregnant now and the predicted date is February 10th...
So we are sorry we are not able to hang out with you...

We hope you will find nice people and you will have a great time here in Japan!

Ayurin

Travel Tips for Osaka

Mail Your Postcard at Osaka Post Office

by freddie18

Yes, if you are mailing a postcard or any mail from Osaka, it is very convenient that you post it at Osaka Post Office. It is very easy to find being located near the Osaka City Centre. It is open from 9:00AM to 5:00PM and closed on weekends and holidays.

If you do not have Japanese yen in your pocket, then you can also change your dollars to local currency. Find the counter windows on the left hand corner of the building.

The Post Office is situated across from the westside of JR Osaka Station within easy walking distance from the Sakurabashi exit. The address is:

3-2-4 Umeda, Kita-ku Osaka City 530-8799

For a detailed information, please check the following link:
http://www.ofix.or.jp/travel/tips/Mail.html Local people impressed me. Take for example the postal employees and subway staff. They are courteous and really have good manners. Very helpful.

Explore the Kuromon Market.

by worldkiwi

We stumbled into the Kuromon market by accident and were thoroughly absorbed by it. The market is interesting for the fact that once you get pass the section of clothes shops, you are in a food market area where the locals shop. There are fruit and vege shops, fish shops, and butchers.
The Kuromonichiba area is east of namba station.

Osaka Orientation

by kevarms

Osaka is a huge city with no real centre. Like Tokyo, the sites of interest are widely scattered and it can take a visitor a while to get their bearings. I know it did me. In fact, I'm still not 100% on the layout of Osaka but I hope I can help with an overview of where you will find the interesting stuff.

Osaka can be roughly divided into Kita (north) and Minami (south)
KITA: Umeda is a major interchange for various train companies and subway lines. You will likely pass through here at some stage of your visit. It is also a big business and shopping area; Shin Osaka station - a few minutes north of Umeda by train/subway is for travel by shinkansen; Osaka Castle
MINAMI: Namba (the 'other' centre'), like Umeda, is a major interchange. Also here are Dotombori and Shinsaibashi. This is the main area for shopping and nightlife

Also of interest may be
TENNOJI: a bit further south has some temples and Osaka's biggest park
WEST OSAKA: docks/industrial area but also has Liberty Osaka, Osaka Aquarium and Universal Studios

Modern Transportation Museum

by stellatos

The museum provides an overview into many kinds of transportation from historical, cultural, scientific and technological perspectives. It could be said that the main focus is on railway but it still offers an insight to other forms of transport from moped to supersonic. It also features some interactive displays although I have to admit I wasnt too impressed with them.

Osaka Aquarium

by Sophiason

I saw the amazing long glass tunnel under the water in this aquarium. The aquarium was very large. There were also many fishes and other ocean creatures there. I liked to visit this aquarium very much.

Comments